Apple's next Mac Pro may sport six-core processors

24567

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 133
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,744member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jocknerd View Post


    I need to replace my aging PowerPC Dual 2.0ghz G5. But I see nothing from Apple to replace it with. An iMac is a downgrade even if it is faster. But I can't justify spending $4k on a Mac Pro. Come on Apple. I'd be happy with the Mac Pro with the single processor, but leave it to Apple to cripple it with the lack of memory slots.



    You sure you need the power of a Mac Pro?
  • Reply 22 of 133
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    If you come on an Apple fansite to constantly provide dissenting opinion at every turn, you're a Windows troll. If you provide dissenting opinion at every turn just for the sake of it, you're even worse.



    True this is a Apple fansite and forum. But people shouldn't be attacked just because they disagree with some of Apple product offerings.

    I won't spend 4 grand on a Mac Pro but wil either wait to see it Apple surprises me and releases a mid tower machine or I will build my own comaparable machine for about half the price and still be able to install OS X on it.......

    Now I know I'll get blsted for that...but that is the truth......

    Quadra 610....you seem to take everything so personal when some disagrees with you....relax dude....... its not personal.......just differing opinions.....
  • Reply 23 of 133
    Great! Now I can watch 11 cores idling while Final Cut renders or Logic bounces or Motion renders or Compressor works. I did drink the cool aid when I upgraded from G5 to 8 core Intel. Motion renders faster on an iMac than the Mac Pro with the upgraded (from Apple) video card.



    I know Compressor/qmaster can be configured to use all the cores, but only for projects that have already been rendered.



    Truth in advertising suggests re-naming the Mac Pro as the "Mac Gifted Amateur".
  • Reply 24 of 133
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    If you come on an Apple fansite to constantly provide dissenting opinion at every turn, you're a Windows troll. If you provide dissenting opinion at every turn just for the sake of it, you're even worse.



    And if you can't think for yourself and need to classify people trolls by various degrees just because they might disagree with something, anything Apple than what are you? No one on are here constantly does what you accuse them of- THAT'S only coming from your own warped fanbot imagination.
  • Reply 25 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post


    It's a valid comment to ask why the gulf between the Tower Mac Pro and iMac lines is growing



    Because the average person has been over-supplied with compute resources since before the end of the megahertz races. The vast majority of mini and iMac users wouldn't notice the difference between a dual, quad or hexacore processor.



    Sure, there's a would-be segment of gaming enthusiasts who would love a beefier machine for under 3k. But that's a segment that Apple has long-chosen not to serve.
  • Reply 26 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    Nowhere. Because there's no demand for it, and because it's difficult enough to sell desktops in this market to begin with.



    Just because you don't demand one, doesn't mean there is no demand at all. A mid-level tower is likely the MOST questioned absence in Apple's lineup. I would love a Mac Pro, but they are pricey. I love my 2006 vintage 24" iMac, but I'd love to be able to upgrade it even more. Mid-level tower with maybe 3 slots and 2 HD sleds would be the shiznit. Look beyond the nose on your face. The world is larger than what you seem to perceive.
  • Reply 27 of 133
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    You sure you need the power of a Mac Pro?



    Only he is the judge of what he needs. What he (or she) is willing to spend versus his wants and needs. For me the iMac is good enough, but for someone else, lets say a freelancer who relies heavily on video editing software or other content creation software, the iMac may not have enough power. Particularly for photographers who may not appreciate the high brightness, high gloss display coupled with the iMac.



    There is a huge gulf in Apple's offerings.
  • Reply 28 of 133
    We're going to buy two of these new Pro's, as we'll probably be able to wait until whenever they come out.



    We've bought tower Macs numerous times over the years, each time getting the fastest and the most RAM we could afford, and each time seeing new, faster ones come out not long afterwards. No biggie. You get what you need when you need it. No regrets.



    Of course, there's always the need for more processing power when using Adobe Creative Suite apps and Luxology Modo.



    So now we'll have more processors and more memory. It'll be interesting to experience the benefits of Snow Leopard.



    Next step up is 64-bit apps, for each to be able to access more than 4GB.



    I know Modo is being re-written in 64-bit Cocoa, as there is no 64-bit Carbon.



    My newer 24" iMac with 4GB of RAM was a nice "baby step" up from my 2.0 GHz dualie G5 PPC. But the limited RAM is a barrier.



    But at least we'll have more RAM so we can keep more apps open simultaneously.
  • Reply 29 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    And if you can't think for yourself and need to classify people trolls by various degrees just because they might disagree with something, anything Apple than what are you? No one on are here constantly does what you accuse them of- THAT'S only coming from your own warped fanbot imagination.



    Please direct us to the last pro-Apple comment you've had. Or for that matter, please point us to the last thread you haven't mentioned:



    a) lack of matte screens on iMac's

    b) the heat of the ATV and no on/off switch

    c) the iPhone not running more than one app at a time

    d) the iPhone not running flash

    e) how stupid the LP format is

    f) some mention of koolaid, fanbois, juice, etc



    The list can go on and on.
  • Reply 30 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    If you come on an Apple fansite to constantly provide dissenting opinion at every turn, you're a Windows troll. If you provide dissenting opinion at every turn just for the sake of it, you're even worse.



    I agree, added to my ignore list. Just look at his signature. If he doesn't want to be "attacked" for his point of view, there are tons of tech websites and boards he can contribute to.



    Gabe
  • Reply 31 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post


    Because the average person has been over-supplied with compute resources since before the end of the megahertz races. The vast majority of mini and iMac users wouldn't notice the difference between a dual, quad or hexacore processor.



    Sure, there's a would-be segment of gaming enthusiasts who would love a beefier machine for under 3k. But that's a segment that Apple has long-chosen not to serve.



    This. It's common sense, but it isn't always apparent, for some reason.
  • Reply 32 of 133
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    This. It's common sense, but it isn't always apparent, for some reason.



    Quadra 610 concerning your signature....Have you read Paul Thurrott's comments about Apple and Steve Jobs SINCE 2004?

    I could send you the links........ or you could Google it.....Thurrott is the ultimate MS supporter and not that kind to Apple or Mac OS X since that quote.....
  • Reply 33 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post


    Because the average person has been over-supplied with compute resources since before the end of the megahertz races. The vast majority of mini and iMac users wouldn't notice the difference between a dual, quad or hexacore processor.



    Sure, there's a would-be segment of gaming enthusiasts who would love a beefier machine for under 3k. But that's a segment that Apple has long-chosen not to serve.



    Sorry, but I think you're wrong. Apple made a pretty big deal about the difference between PPC chips and the old Pentium lineup, especially in the iMac lineup (there are videos all over YouTube of Schiller and Jobs doing speed tests with Photoshop and other things, on iMacs. So Apple does (or did) care about performance.) Also things like introducing DDR memory and the 9400m into low-end machines tell us they care about the user experience.



    You comment is also slightly ironic, as Apple have done the opposite to what you suggest on laptops (giving 'far too much power' to the 'average' user, but refusing to get into the Netbook market which provides a 'good enough' experience).



    Apple's motivations and product line have little to do with what users want, and everything to do with where the biggest profit margins are. That is fine, it's their business model, but being told otherwise on forums is insulting to one's intelligence.



    Also, unless you've actually experienced using a very powerful machine, it's hard to know what you're missing out on. But 8GBs of RAM and a fast QuadCore processor shouldn't need to cost $3000 or even half that. I can only imagine what OS X is like running on such a powerful machine, but I know what Win7/Vista is like on such a machine; it's a lot of fun!
  • Reply 34 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post


    Quadra 610 concerning your signature....Have you read Paul Thurrott's comments about Apple and Steve Jobs SINCE 2004?

    I could send you the links........ or you could Google it.....Thurrott is the ultimate MS supporter and not that kind to Apple or Mac OS X since that quote.....



    Here's Paul Thurrott Super Site for Windows home page. Good site and normally very good informative writing.



    http://www.winsupersite.com/
  • Reply 35 of 133
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post


    Please direct us to the last pro-Apple comment you've had. Or for that matter, please point us to the last thread you haven't mentioned:



    a) lack of matte screens on iMac's

    b) the heat of the ATV and no on/off switch

    c) the iPhone not running more than one app at a time

    d) the iPhone not running flash

    e) how stupid the LP format is

    f) some mention of koolaid, fanbois, juice, etc



    The list can go on and on.



    Nicely put!



    I noticed this also in that teckstud is pretty much all about calling everyone "fanbois," judging them, categorising them, etc. but here he criticises people for doing just that.



    IMO (and I've been on a lot of these forums or many years), the minute you call someone a "fanboi" in a post, you should go back and erase it and think of a more concrete criticism. It just shows that you don't have an argument when you resort to such name calling. It's juvenile, meaningless, and reflects more on the person using the term than it does on whomever they are accusing.



    It's like saying "I don't actually have an argument, so I'm just going to assume that you are biased."



    There are valid, logical reasons for liking or preferring one product over another, or one companies products over another. Just because someone is always or mostly in favour of a product or company doesn't necessarily mean there is any bias involved.



    Ending an argument, (or trying to), by saying "oh well, your just a fanboi anyway" is just so childishly dumb (and lame). While most of us use may that term in extreme cases, IMO it's always a mistake. If that's all someone has for an argument, they just don't have one.
  • Reply 36 of 133
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post


    Here's Paul Thurrott Super Site for Windows home page. Good site and normally very good informative writing.



    http://www.winsupersite.com/



    Yeah I like his site for some of his info on Windows stuff.

    He has some very good info for Windows.
  • Reply 37 of 133
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post


    [*]Blue Ray option for the content creation market. FCP is said to include support for it in a future release, so i think this is a given.[/LIST]



    Already in there. You can "share" to Blu-ray directly from FC7 or Compressor 3.5. Haven't tried it yet 'cause I don't have a BR drive, but I have made BR format DVDs directly from FC7.
  • Reply 38 of 133
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe The Dragon View Post


    so now the mac pro can start at $3000 with a carp video card



    Good catch. Seems a little fishy.
  • Reply 39 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post


    Already in there. You can "share" to Blu-ray directly from FC7 or Compressor 3.5. Haven't tried it yet 'cause I don't have a BR drive, but I have made BR format DVDs directly from FC7.



    Blu-ray uses H.264 or MPEG2 for compression. Both CODECs have been supported in FCP and Compressor for a long time. What's missing is any ability to author Blu-Ray compatible discs (add menuing or any other value-added feature) from Apple's "pro" apps. Of course Apple responds with the statement that Blu-ray isn't a finalized standard so they are going to wait to support it when it's final. It's enough of a standard that Blockbuster rents and sells the discs but maybe that isn't mass market enough for the iPhone company.
  • Reply 40 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post


    And it won't matter what video card you put in it, because it will perform worse than $50 video card in a windows PC.



    not so. i have a perfectly good mac pro with a high end card. it works great.
Sign In or Register to comment.