Michael Jackson's posthumous album will be on Apple's iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Sony and the estate of Michael Jackson reportedly will allow the artist's new album to be sold on the iTunes Music Store, dispelling a rumor to the contrary that surfaced early Wednesday.

"Michael Jackson's 'This Is It' album will indeed be available for sale on iTunes on Oct. 27," Epic Records Senior Vice President of Publicity Lois Najarian told Wired. "I don't have much more information to impart other than that right now, but suffice to say fans will be able to purchase it there."

However, Najarian went on to add that the two sides are "working on" an issue over the sale of individual tracks. The question remains as to whether Sony and the Jackson estate will allow individual tracks to be sold on iTunes, or if Apple will require the sale of the full album.

Earlier Wednesday, Digital Music News incorrectly reported that Michael Jackson's forthcoming album, "This Is It," would not be made for sale on iTunes when it is released on Oct. 26 overseas and Oct. 27 in North America. Sources allegedly said that Sony Music Entertainment and the Jackson estate only want digital sales of the album to come bundled, rather than offering the sale of individual tracks. The latter part may be true, but Najarian explicitly said the rumor of the album's absence from iTunes was "incorrect."

Apple does have one format that by default requires the purchase of a full album: The new iTunes LP format, previously codenamed "Cocktail," was designed to spur sales of albums. In addition to the album, the format includes bonus content like photos and videos. It's possible that "This Is It" could be an iTunes LP format exclusive on the music store.

The two-disc compilation will coincide with the release of the feature film, "Michael Jackson's This Is It," which features a concert rehearsal filmed by the legendary artist shortly before his death. Jackson had planned a 50-date tour before he died of cardiac arrest in his Los Angeles home in June.

The album will include remastered versions of some of Jackson's biggest hits, including "Thriller" and "Beat It." Two version of the title track, "This Is It," are also included. It is a previously unreleased song originally recorded in 1983.

Following Jackson's death, fans flocked to iTunes to purchase songs from the artist, catapulting six of his songs to the top 10 sold on the U.S. store. In addition, nine out of the top ten albums sold on the service came from Jackson immediately following his passing.

The song "Billy Jean" was one of the first to be featured in the iTunes D45 product released this summer. Just like old 45s, the iTunes D45 selection includes a popular single accompanied by a B-side song. Prices on the D45s range from $1.49 to $1.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    It's ridiculous to think they wouldn't as they made a ton of money at iTunes all summer. Forget the stupid LP all they have to do is block out one version of the song "this is it" and other new material as a "album only" purchase. Everyone already owns the other songs for the most part.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    time to pay off all the money he owed to the hedge funds
  • Reply 3 of 19
    iTunes has always allowed "Album only" tracks which cannot be purchased separately. The "This is It" album will be largely a greatest hits compilation AFAIK, so if they make the only new song Album Only, mission accomplished.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Well, somebody seeing any urge to buy a song that the artist himself considered too bad for release 26 years ago... is most obviously a fan and reason is not asked for. Compared to people spending 500k for a wrist-watch with one mechanical detail only 10 people in the world know or care about, selling and buying such an album is a rather venial sin
  • Reply 5 of 19
    omg wut is this a Michael Jackson site now?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

omg wut is this a Michael Jackson site now?

JackRumours.com
  • Reply 7 of 19
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    "Because I'm Dead, I'm Dead,

Come On, Come On,

You Know,

I'm Dead, I'm Dead,

Got Lawyers, Got Debts To Pay,

Got Family, Got Greedy See,

I'm Dead, I'm Dead,

Come On, Come On"

Etc., etc, ad nauseam......
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

"Because I'm Dead, I'm Dead,

Come On, Come On,

You Know,

I'm Dead, I'm Dead,

Got Lawyers, Got Debts To Pay,

Got Family, Got Greedy See,

I'm Dead, I'm Dead,

Come On, Come On"

Etc., etc, ad nauseam......

I think you meant, "Sha-mon! Sha-mon!... Wooooo-Hoooo..."
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Rumors are the BANE of all humanity.

Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow !!
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Their lost. Enough of MJ already.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iphonedeveloperthailand View Post

Enough of MJ already.

++

Enough, indeed.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    He may be dead, the music may not be his best work, but he's still one of the most talented (albeit weird) entertainers of our time. His second rate work is better than the best work heaped upon us daily from today's "top" artists. Many folks, including myself love his music, even if he was a bit odd.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Sony know the album is mainly shit and no one would buy it if it was individual tracks
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

He may be dead, the music may not be his best work, but he's still one of the most talented (albeit weird) entertainers of our time. His second rate work is better than the best work heaped upon us daily from today's "top" artists. Many folks, including myself love his music, even if he was a bit odd.

Amen.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brainfragment View Post

Sony know the album is mainly shit and no one would buy it if it was individual tracks

So stick to your second rate Madonna, Kylie Minogue and leave MJ alone !!
  • Reply 16 of 19
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

A second Amen.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iphonedeveloperthailand View Post

Their lost. Enough of MJ already.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

++

Enough, indeed.

Calm down everyone, it will al be over soon. After all, this is it.

• Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeaFox View Post

Calm down everyone, it will al be over soon. After all, this is it.

not a chance, sony will be releasing his shit every year in a different package. and the sheep will buy them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

So stick to your second rate Madonna, Kylie Minogue and leave MJ alone !!

go tell us. like only crappy pop music exists. remember the golden rule, the more people buy the music, the more chance it is crap for the brainwashed radio listeners.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

not a chance, sony will be releasing his shit every year in a different package. and the sheep will buy them.

go tell us. like only crappy pop music exists. remember the golden rule, the more people buy the music, the more chance it is crap for the brainwashed radio listeners.

What is your problem?