2001 World Series: What did everyone think about it?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2015
Personally, I thought it was one of the best Series' in a long time. And the way it came down to in the bottom of the 9th in game 7. I also think it was incredible how Schilling and Johnson pitched throughout the series. What do you all think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Well I am a HUGE Diamondbacks fan, right behind the Pirates...and the Big Unit is my favorite player, so I am obviously happy regarding the outcome. It was sweet they won, and doubly sweet they beat the Skankees.

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Horned_Frog ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 19
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    I thought the best part about it was that with all the attention individual home run numbers get, (no disrepect to Barry, one of the best all around players of the generation) the Series came down to 2 great pitchers vs. the team that does all the little things on offense.

Jeff
  • Reply 3 of 19
    I thought it was weird how I developed such a strong desire that Arizona win, considering I don't follow baseball, and haven't even watched a whole game in years. I think it's partly that I like Randy Johnson, maybe it's a bit of pleasure at seeing everybody second-guess a coach who made some unorthadox calls only to be proved right. And of course, this series had about as much drama as you could hope for.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    7 game series are always better and those 9th inning heroics were fantastic but beyond that I really wasn't all that impressed with this series. I absolutely love guys like Schilling and Johnson but they are also the reason why the Yankees were so badly outplayed.

I like it best when 2 teams are evenly matched and the momentum keeps shifting back and forth. With this series the home team won every game which basically meant that the momentum changed directions only two times. And the whole thing revolved around the superiority of Arizona's top two starters although their other two guys pitched very well too.

Looking again at Schilling's postseason numbers - 48.1 innings pitched, 1.12 ERA, 56 strikeouts, 32 total baserunners, 6 runs allowed!!! I hope you all appreciate the scope of his dominance. We may not again see anything like it in our lifetime. And in the World Series Johnson was every bit Schilling's equal!! It's a wonder any of us thought the Yankees even had a chance.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    aw-w-w, my first double post of AI v. 2.0

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: roger_ramjet ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Amazing, I wasn't big on baseball until now. The best team won.

Good thing the D'backs won too, or B.H. Kim would have killed himself...heh.

When the Giants fell, I rooted for the As. The the As goy my hopes up and completely choked. I'll never root for the As again. Then I went to the D'backs, because Schilling and Johnson both deserved rings, and I just couldn't stand the idea of another Yankee WS win...a 4-peat...no way. That doesn't make people fans of baseball. If the Yankees had won, I would have disowned the sport.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    I'm not much of a baseball fan but I have to admit that this was an awesome series although I was a little dissappointed with the parade that we had here in PHX

From what people tell me, this was one of the best series ever so I am glad that I watched all the games as well as recording game 7.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacFan:

<strong>I'm not much of a baseball fan but I have to admit that this was an awesome series although I was a little dissappointed with the parade that we had here in PHX

From what people tell me, this was one of the best series ever so I am glad that I watched all the games as well as recording game 7.</strong><hr></blockquote>

why? because only 250,000 fans showed up for the parade and the Yankees normally have that many in 2 blocks? Or was it because of the amazingly lame "rally" after the parade in "the Bob" where the DBack players showed how classless and lame they are?
  • Reply 9 of 19
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Any time the Yankees lose I am happy.

**** the Yankees. Right in the ear.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>Any time the Yankees lose I am happy.

**** the Yankees. Right in the ear.</strong><hr></blockquote>

unfortunately this year NY probably could have used the win more than ever. It is suggested that 250 million dollars in potential sales for the city were lost as a result of the defeat

oh well.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

unfortunately this year NY probably could have used the win more than ever. It is suggested that 250 million dollars in potential sales for the city were lost as a result of the defeat

oh well.</strong><hr></blockquote>

God forbid the yanks actually lose...

the key word being "potential"

potentially, at the beginning of the season, the expos could have won the world series, and still had 3 thousand fans in the stadium per game...

potential means nothing

in baseball the only thing that matters is the final outcome--and the yanks lost

so all that "potential" money they "could have" made is meaningless

yes, the timing woulda been a great time to "let" the yanks win the world series, but wouldnt that just taint one of the things that makes this country great??

no, they lost, fair and square, so i shed no tears for the poor poor yankees...
  • Reply 11 of 19
    $250 million

Isn't that 1/3rd of the Yankees payroll?
  • Reply 13 of 19

<strong>$250 million

Isn't that 1/3rd of the Yankees payroll?</strong><hr></blockquote>

no, dont mistake the yankees for ARod...
  • Reply 14 of 19
    PayRod

Best player in baseball, but $25 million/year. . .

My Rangers could have better spent that cash on some pitching.
  • Reply 14 of 19

<strong>PayRod

Best player in baseball, but $25 million/year. . .

My Rangers could have better spent that cash on some pitching.</strong><hr></blockquote>

ill do it fer free
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Nothing against the Yankees as I am not a baseball nut as I mentioned previously.

Sorry that NY lost $250.00 in possible revenue but I am not sorry that the better team won the series. Besides seeing other teams win occasionally is nice.

The parade was weak as they had it on a Wednesday at noon. Here was a great opportunity for the city of Phx to showcase the team and they blew it. Instead of having the parade on a weekend and making it into a citywide celebration they held it on hump day at noon when most people are working so crowds ended up being much smaller.

As for the team players, can you honestly say that NY players have never talked smack about any other team? I seriously doubt it

I feel bad for New York after all they have been thru but not for the Yankees.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I don't know; I was too busy playing hockey three times a week and watching the start of the NHL season.

:cool:
  • Reply 18 of 19

Good thing you recorded it, 14 years later it's available on the net in 10 seconds!

• Reply 19 of 19

True, it was 37-10 by runs, so it really wasn't that close even tho it was incredibly close at the same time.  The Kim-factor made it close.  His ring must be cheap, I bet he was shunned by the players during the celebration.  He had good games, but he choked when it mattered like so many others.