Apple seeds new Mac OS X 10.6.2 beta with guest account glitch fix

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JasonQ13 View Post


    I wonder if 10.6.2 or the Apple store updates will fix apple.com... I haven't been able to access apple.com since I installed 10.6.1 (I don't know about 10.6 since I could barely use the computer until I installed 10.6.1). I get an error:



    "Safari is no longer responding because of a script on the webpage "Apple" (http://www.apple.com/). Do you want to stop running the script, or let it continue?"



    I'd delete the Plist for Safari, restart.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    We're all acting like a pack of FOOLS!!



    It's Friday, I'm not at work, and I ain't got sh*t to do...
  • Reply 23 of 54
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,756member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LtKaffee View Post


    Have they fixed Exposé yet?



    What's wrong with it?
  • Reply 24 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    What's wrong with it?



    When they changed the scaling to make it all fit into a pretty grid, they made large windows' text illegible and small windows humongous.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    Hopefully they've fixed the problems with the four finger multi-touch gestures and Expose.



    EDIT: Looks probable it has been. From World of Apple release notes:

    Quote:

    "an issue with the 4-finger swipe gesture"



    You can use the zoom (spacebar) to "fix" the other expose related bug (which is actually a feature of how it operates, not a bug which needs fixing). I don't think it is particually broken and when you have a lot of Windows it is easier to pick items out.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,756member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LtKaffee View Post


    When they changed the scaling to make it all fit into a pretty grid, they made large windows' text illegible and small windows humongous.



    Oddly enough, I didn't notice. Now that I've examined it for myself, however, I have to agree with you. The new Exposé is rather unintuitive compared to Leopard's (in terms of Window sizing.)



    I suppose I can live with it. Some people prefer the grid style and like the fact that small windows are now more readable. Still, I do prefer the way Leopard sized the Windows. Otherwise, I love the other features of the new Exposé.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    Sorry to add to the usual - did they fix (x problem that only affects me) but I am hoping there is an iDVD fix. I'm using iDVD from iLife '08 and it is unusable under Snow Leopard. It used to just crash when I tried to make the DVD - now it will not even load up.



    On going to the Apple Discussion Boards, seems this is a very common issue.



    Oh and yes - I have submitted the bug report.



    Frustrating to be sure.



    Actually I also have a LOT of graphics issues with SL - especially in Safari when I try to open a new tab - my monitor goes all crazy for a second and then finally returns to normal.
  • Reply 28 of 54
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimoase View Post


    Mail preferences/rules/conditions



    When there are more than 25 conditions entered into a Rule the Conditions window will expand beyond the size of the screen taking the control buttons Cancel and OK off the bottom of the screen.



    This is an old, 2 years, Mail flaw that has been verified several times by Apple on-line help techs and several of my colleges. ...



    I know this probably bothers the heck out of you, but it's actually not a "bug" and thus not that likely to be fixed. You probably realise this yourself in that you pointedly refer to it as a "flaw." A property sheet dialogue has no resizing corners and cannot be dragged by definition. It's unfortunate that you need such a lot of rules and that you don't have a screen big enough to do that, but it's not a "bug" per se, just because that you have that need.



    To help you out, Apple would have to change the implementation of property sheets in general, and for all applications using Mac OS X. That's something they might do anyway, but it's not a "bug" to be fixed. It's also something that affects everyone else because all the property sheets would have to change, so the "cons" may always outweigh the "pros" (more than 25 mail rules on a small screen).
  • Reply 29 of 54
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,756member
    Back to Exposé . . .



    Under Leopard, I quickly learned that windows seemed to consistently be put in certain places; this is the spatial quality of Exposé that I used most.



    It seems this property is retained by the new system.



    The relative sizing, however, is another matter. It might make it hard to find things. Of course, in the old way, relative size was the best visual cue available. The new way is more ordered, which, combined with the fact that the text labels are always visible, should increase the usability of the system.



    The problem is that we all have to reconfigure our gray matter to use a different visual cue for rapid filtering. All of our old habits are useless, trying to filter based on relative size makes it completely impossible to even see the window you're looking for. Changing habits ingrained years takes time and effort, and the benefit is intangible enough that I'm not sure it will be worth it. Apple wants us to see what's inside the windows, combined with textual cues. it does seem slower at the moment.



    Personally, I'm still reconfiguring, which is why I'm still undecided. Give me another month or two and I'm sure I'll be back at full strength. Then we can talk about which way is better.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


    I know this probably bothers the heck out of you, but it's actually not a "bug" and thus not that likely to be fixed. You probably realise this yourself in that you pointedly refer to it as a "flaw." A property sheet dialogue has no resizing corners and cannot be dragged by definition. It's unfortunate that you need such a lot of rules and that you don't have a screen big enough to do that, but it's not a "bug" per se, just because that you have that need.



    To help you out, Apple would have to change the implementation of property sheets in general, and for all applications using Mac OS X. That's something they might do anyway, but it's not a "bug" to be fixed. It's also something that affects everyone else because all the property sheets would have to change, so the "cons" may always outweigh the "pros" (more than 25 mail rules on a small screen).



    I disagree with your opinion that a design flaw is somehow less significant and less in need of fixing than a coding bug.



    Personally I think developers should be on their own if they use a custom control, but if they use a built-in control there should be no way to get into such trouble. Apple should not ship any UI element that doesn't respect the bounds of the display(s).
  • Reply 31 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    Back to Exposé . . .



    Speaking of which, I have a different issue that I haven't seen raised anywhere else:

    After the machine's been up for a while, F9 exposé stops its nice animated transition for windows to their grid; they just jump there immediately. Push F9 again to return and they do transition back smoothly as they should. This issue doesn't affect dock exposé, F10, F9 during F8, and even works perfectly in slow motion when holding down shift.



    Kill the Dock and normality returns for a while. This seems like a resource leak to me.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,756member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by A.Zebra View Post


    Speaking of which, I have a different issue that I haven't seen raised anywhere else:

    After the machine's been up for a while, F9 exposé stops its nice animated transition for windows to their grid; they just jump there immediately. Push F9 again to return and they do transition back smoothly as they should. This issue doesn't affect dock exposé, F10, F9 during F8, and even works perfectly in slow motion when holding down shift.



    Kill the Dock and normality returns for a while. This seems like a resource leak to me.



    I've noticed this as well. Thanks for reminding me.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    Since upgrading to Snow Leopard my printer no longer produces borderless prints. Also, the colours (colors) of the images that do emerge from my printer are all washed out. I've tried numerous combinations of settings, downloaded various drivers and wasted far too much paper in my quest to sort it out for myself - but to no avail.



    I have an Epson SP R220 - not a flashy machine but it gets the job done.



    I've been to the Apple discussion forums and others are having printing issues too. I've sent a couple of bug reports off to Apple, one for my iMac the other for my MBP.



    Here's hoping...
  • Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gearhunter View Post


    Since upgrading to Snow Leopard my printer no longer produces borderless prints. Also, the colours (colors) of the images that do emerge from my printer are all washed out. I've tried numerous combinations of settings, downloaded various drivers and wasted far too much paper in my quest to sort it out for myself - but to no avail.



    I have an Epson SP R220 - not a flashy machine but it gets the job done.



    I've been to the Apple discussion forums and others are having printing issues too. I've sent a couple of bug reports off to Apple, one for my iMac the other for my MBP.



    Here's hoping...



    I had that same printer but last year upgraded the R280. I'm not having any issues with it on borderless (sorta) printing. I set the margin at .05" and it goes nearly to the edge. For whatever reason, and it's probably the cartidgeless printing ink thingy, if it prints to the edge it curls the paper (photo) and then jams. Did you get the Epson updated printer drivers this week through Software Update?



    Are you using Epson OEM ink? That was a problem with mine and shooting out photos. Now I use another printer. But I just did a photo (8x10) on 8.5x11 paper and it did the correct size, not much of a test I guess... But. Check the Espon Refurb store, got the R280 for $29 and free shipping with new inks.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post


    I had that same printer but last year upgraded the R280. I'm not having any issues with it on borderless (sorta) printing. I set the margin at .05" and it goes nearly to the edge. For whatever reason, and it's probably the cartidgeless printing ink thingy, if it prints to the edge it curls the paper (photo) and then jams. Did you get the Epson updated printer drivers this week through Software Update?



    Are you using Epson OEM ink? That was a problem with mine and shooting out photos. Now I use another printer. But I just did a photo (8x10) on 8.5x11 paper and it did the correct size, not much of a test I guess... But. Check the Espon Refurb store, got the R280 for $29 and free shipping with new inks.



    Darn it! I forgot to mention I am using the updated software. Thanks for reminding me and come to think of it I'm now not sure what to blame - the update or Snow Leopard.



    I was a late adopter of Snow Leopard and hadn't printed a photo until the Epson update cropped up. After installing I fired up Aperture 2 to print an image. I was pleased to see that ink supply levels were displayed in the utility. My pleasure was short lived though as the printing was a failure. I'm not currently using OEM ink, it's far too expensive! Regardless of this, before I either upgraded to SL or installed the latest Epson driver my printing was more than satisfactory.



    Something is amiss... \
  • Reply 36 of 54
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I prefer the look of the new Expose, though I would like the windows to slide smoothly instead of jerkily (which they do on my 2009 iMac/GT120). Maybe this is due to LLVM changes, not compiling the move code as quickly as before, don't know.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    People familiar with build 10C527f said the latest update has only one known issue, and has a number of fixes in 13 different focus areas. It also reportedly provides reliability improvements for iWork, iLife, Aperture, Final Cut Studio, MobileMe, iDisk, and Safari plug-ins.



    I hope they do something about Safari Plug-ins - especially Flash. Safari seems to go really slow and I suspect the culprit is actually the Flash Plug-in.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post


    I prefer the look of the new Expose, though I would like the windows to slide smoothly instead of jerkily (which they do on my 2009 iMac/GT120). Maybe this is due to LLVM changes, not compiling the move code as quickly as before, don't know.



    What I've noticed is the first time you activate it after a long drought, it "jerks" to place. If you activate it again however, it does it smoothly. as in, back-to-back exposé activations, the first is jerky, the second is smooth as it used to be/should be.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by random bob, a.r.c. View Post


    What I've noticed is the first time you activate it after a long drought, it "jerks" to place. If you activate it again however, it does it smoothly. as in, back-to-back exposé activations, the first is jerky, the second is smooth as it used to be/should be.



    Yes, you are right. It must the be the old issue with the video card not coming out of power saving mode fast enough, so for the first Expose it is downclocked.



    But Expose is something you usually don't do several times, so it will always be jerky unless they change the driver to be less power conscious. Edit: maybe they can't do that due to cooling issues.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    I installed snow leopard and somehow my password got reset to i have no idea what. i am moving and cant find any of my mac disks (in boxes somewhere). is there any way to get a new password without using the install disks?
Sign In or Register to comment.