Verizon asks 'if the iDoesn't, what does?'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
First there was, "There's a map for that", now this:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/17/verizon-asks-if-the-idoesnt-what-does/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Probably an Android phone, or the Storm 2, too bad Verizon phone's cant multitask, I like using the web or checking emails while in a call, I guess that's one of the reasons the rest of the world dumped CDMA.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

First there was, "There's a map for that", now this:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/17/verizon-asks-if-the-idoesnt-what-does/

• Reply 2 of 13
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Here's the commercial. They are going for the throat

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/17/v...al-droid-does/
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Do you think this is the phone:-

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_dext_mb220-2934.php

Meanwhile T-Mobile will be launching the Nokia N900 on a $50 unlimited plan.

Quote:

• Reply 4 of 13
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Do you think this is the phone:-

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_dext_mb220-2934.php

Meanwhile T-Mobile will be launching the Nokia N900 on a $50 unlimited plan.

They will most likely release it with different name. Verizon probably think it is an accomplishment to release a phone with WiFi, bluetooth, and an independent app store. They are trying to stop people from switching to the iPhone and I think they are building a hype they can't handle and giving promises on things they can't deliver. Going head to head with the iPhone is not very smart even if they only want the publicity part. Once the device is compared to the iPhone by the media it will somehow fail in at least one category and this will be enough for some people to get the iPhone instead.

However, I am happy that at least there is someone still trying to put pressure on Apple (I gave up on Palm). Hopefully Apple will start looking for a way to run background apps and multitasking efficiently.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Do you think they'll sell it outright, let you put a new ROM on it and use Google Voice or VOIP with a PAYG data only plan.

Given as how Verizon's network is the pinnacle of excellence according to a vocal group of posters here, it should be a walk in the park for them to provide the dumb pipe across every square mile of America with crystal clear reception and downloads that are so fast they are finished before you start them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

They will most likely release it with different name. Verizon probably think it is an accomplishment to release a phone with WiFi, bluetooth, and an independent app store. They are trying to stop people from switching to the iPhone and I think they are building a hype they can't handle and giving promises on things they can't deliver. Going head to head with the iPhone is not very smart even if they only want the publicity part. Once the device is compared to the iPhone by the media it will somehow fail in at least one category and this will be enough for some people to get the iPhone instead.

However, I am happy that at least there is someone still trying to put pressure on Apple (I gave up on Palm). Hopefully Apple will start looking for a way to run background apps and multitasking efficiently.

• Reply 6 of 13
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Wow...that's a commercial geared toward geeks. I guess if they think that's the iPhone demographic.

This commercial worked out really great for Sega.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQkBvnpzX2U
  • Reply 7 of 13
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Only fanbois care about hype, real companies in the real world care only on real results.

Verizon doesn't need to hit a home run. If you take out Tracfone's number from AT&T's net adds for Q2 (a iphone launch quarter) and count only retail subscribers (ie. non-wholesale MVNO numbers) --- Verizon Wireless basically tied AT&T Wireless in net subscriber addition in Q2.

Palm is saying the same thing as well, the market is big enough for them to grow. Don't need to beat the iphone to actually make real money.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Only fanbois care about hype, real companies in the real world care only on real results.

Evidently the iPhone is producing real results despite all your protestations. And now Verizon is directly attacking the iPhone in a stupid way.

It's like listing all the stuff the Wii doesn't have in comparison to the PS3. Yah, okay. So what?

You don't have to wonder if some ad campaigns will suck. What's telling is that Verizon sees the need for a new ad at all rather than pounding AT&T with their network advantage.

Or they are perhaps worried that T-Mobile will get the iPhone before them. Which seems likely.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Or they are perhaps worried that T-Mobile will get the iPhone before them. Which seems likely.

Verizon got the message when Tim Cook made it clear that Apple will not build a CDMA version of the iPhone. This is why they are attacking the iPhone now. They have at least 2 to 3 years before they can even think about the iPhone on their network.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Verizon doesn't need to hit a home run. If you take out Tracfone's number from AT&T's net adds for Q2 (a iphone launch quarter) and count only retail subscribers (ie. non-wholesale MVNO numbers) --- Verizon Wireless basically tied AT&T Wireless in net subscriber addition in Q2.

Palm is saying the same thing as well, the market is big enough for them to grow. Don't need to beat the iphone to actually make real money.

Then why this campaign against only the iPhone?! and what do you call those teaser ad websites, count downs, .. etc? You say something but what is Verizon doing is something else. Even Verizon beating the openness drum surprised many. The iPhone is taking customers away from Verizon and they know it.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Two years ago, SJ unleashed a quake that shook the world. The entire mobile industry is just now starting to understand the implications of that quake. The first year, they thought the iPhone was a flash in the pan phenomenon only involving Apple fan boys. The second year, they realized they had a problem, but thought they could quickly catch up by doing a better job of the same old thing. In the third year, they are starting to realize that they are a heartbeat away from being put out of business entirely if they do not radically change their business model.

They were all so smug and cozy when the iPhone first hit the scene. Now, they all look like three legged puppies trying to keep up with a greyhound. It took a little longer, but Verizon is now in the same boat as Sprint was a year ago. They are loosing customers, not to AT&T, but to the iPhone. They have to come up with a phone that captures the imagination and change their policies to meet the current reality. They are scared to death. When I see those ads, I see desperation from a company that didn't see it coming.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Certainly when Verizon the phone company runs ads attacking, not AT&T, not Apple, but the iPhone specifically, a single handset that they don't have, you know something's up.

Imagine an ISP running ads calling out a particular computer that doesn't work on their version of the internet. That, of course, would never happen, because ISPs never had the chance to get the chokehold on the internet the way cell carriers have on their networks.

But clearly Verizon wants to maintain that model, going so far as to position themselves against a device.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Certainly when Verizon the phone company runs ads attacking, not AT&T, not Apple, but the iPhone specifically, a single handset that they don't have, you know something's up.[/I]

Though I just said something similar to this, I did not consider the full implications. What would Verizon do if they suddenly got the iPhone? "Oops! Never mind that ad campaign we did!" This suggests that not only will they not be getting the iPhone anytime soon, but they have positioned themselves as enemies of the device. They will never get it. Has this ever happened before?