Apple, others hit with lawsuit over '90s Ethernet patents

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

You've never heard of 3Com?

It's not 3Com that is suing - it's a no-name company.

It appears that this no-name company bought the patents from 3Com with the intention of suing whomever they could. Notice that 3Com didn't sue during the 15 years they held the patents. They probably knew it would be a bogus lawsuit and that the patents were most likely worthless. That doesn't stop patent-trolling companies from trying, though.
  • Reply 42 of 67
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jukes View Post

I urge anyone who feels compelled to believe this nonsense to read this Atlantic article for a real look at an option for controlling health care costs.

Please don't feed the troll. I already tossed another one a scrap... big mistake.
  • Reply 43 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Um... who uses Ethernet anymore?

Who isn't using it? It's actually still very common and I am pretty sure that all of the 802.11 wireless technologies out there today are basically Ethernet adapters with radios and antennas. (It's a little more complex than that, but the basic signaling method is more or less conventional Ethernet stuff.)

Unless of course you are still using Token Ring*.

* don't laugh--I have a fully functional TR network bridged to my Ethernet stuff. And there is at least one company (Ringdale) that is still in the business. They sell both wired and wireless Token Ring stuff to this very day.
  • Reply 44 of 67
    Just switch to Token Ring for new Macs....problem solved
  • Reply 45 of 67
    Quote:

How many macs are in business? Outside of xserve I doubt many of today's macs even use the ethernet ports. I know that close to 100% of students on my campus use wifi, and even iMacs in computer labs are on the wifi connection.

I use ethernet at home, because I have 50Mbps, and I want to take full advantage of it.

What does it matter if a Mac is in business or not. Im pretty sure macs being used in a lab are still using ethernet. Wifi is convenient for easy access like laptops, but ethernet is upto 18x faster than wifi with a secure, dedicated connection. Most labs will be wired, regardless what you think.

Just because you dont use it, or think you have a need for it, dont assume the rest of the world doesnt use it. WHY do you think its been incorporated to EVERY computer built? Including netbooks.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    Wow...I can remember when 3Com was the name in networking equipment. If you were at all serious about Ethernet (and to a lesser extent, Token Ring), 3Com was the equipment that you used--at least as far as network adapters were concerned.

It's unfortunate that the integration of Ethernet on basically everything and the proliferation of cheap Ethernet adapters on-a-chip has eaten up 3Com's business. (I have seen systems that have 3Com Ethernet hardware integrated into the motherboard--Dell did this with a few systems like the OptiPlex GX400. So 3Com *did* get into that business for a while at least...)

The patents (haven't researched them yet) might very well be valid. I was looking at the datasheet for a Realtek RTL8110 gigabit controller that gave out US Patent numbers covering the technology used. A lot of them were associated with 3Com Corporation.

Since I haven't seen a brand new 3Com anything in a long time, my guess is that the revenue generated from licensing their patents are a big part how they stay afloat these days.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    Quote:

People who don't treat security as something of an afterthought...
  • Reply 48 of 67
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:

Most companies do. Many home users don't. Many have a hybrid. I still prefer it.
  • Reply 49 of 67
    I love how this whole thread has been derailed by one person who apparently doesn't see the use of ethernet. There really is no need to reply to him. I'm sure any logical person will see why he's wrong plus the 20+ replies restating the same thing are getting a little tiring to read.
  • Reply 50 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by red_skittles View Post

I love how this whole thread has been derailed by one person who apparently doesn't see the use of ethernet. There really is no need to reply to him. I'm sure any logical person will see why he's wrong plus the 20+ replies restating the same thing are getting a little tiring to read.

Rules of the Internet, #172: If someone on a web forum is wrong, every other member must shame him or her until he/she admits wrong or deactivates his/her account.

-Clive
  • Reply 51 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Yes, it's called Texas...

Hey I live here!
  • Reply 52 of 67
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Looks like 3Com has hit the patent trolling stage of business.
  • Reply 53 of 67
    drowdrow Posts: 126member
    it seems that the quickest route to effective patent reform would be to nuke eastern texas.
  • Reply 54 of 67
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LE Studios View Post

Hey I live here!

We're sorry?
  • Reply 55 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cinder View Post

bam!

can we get a like button for posts?
  • Reply 56 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

We're sorry?

no we're not...
  • Reply 57 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cubefan View Post

I think post 29 summarises it neatly, coffin chasing lawyers.... truly pathetic..

Actually Ethernet does NOT use the same protocols as Wireless Ethernet, Wireless Ethernet was still in the Ether when the original Ethernet patents were approved.

Shared Ethernet use CSMA/CD 802.3 protocols and access control, switched Ethernet networks DON'T. Its probably fair to say practically nobody uses shared media networks based on 802.3 CSMA/CD.

Nevertheless, WiFi is probably closer to shared Ethernet than you would think, no matter which 802.11 standard you choose, it is still SHARED between all the stations, with increased latency and slower performance whereas switched, wired Ethernet has low latency and dedicated bandwidth. If you aren't sure, try backing up 80GB of iPhoto library over 802.11g, then repeat over Gigabit. 3days plays about 90 minutes......!

You're right it's not the same protocols (my bad), but it's still defined as Ethernet. The rest of what you are saying does not even pertain to what I was talking about and only states the obvious that Wireless is slower than Wired (before even getting into Shared versus Switched Ethernet).
  • Reply 58 of 67
    Ah, the "Eastern District of Texas" strikes again.
  • Reply 59 of 67
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Rules of the Internet, #172: If someone on a web forum is wrong, every other member must shame him or her until he/she admits wrong or deactivates his/her account.

-Clive

HAHAHAHAHA funniest thing i have read all day.
  • Reply 60 of 67
    Quote:

Everyone. Every company with a network uses Ethernet. Ethernet is still faster than wireless.