Apple reveals plans for cheaper new products in the pipeline

245

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 85
    That's my guess.



    Apple introduces new products on Tuesday.



    They usually have their financial conference calls on Wednesday, I thought, and I don't recall another one being held on a Monday.



    So to me the thinking was report on financials on Monday so we can release the new products on Tuesday as usual.



    It is late October and Christmas shopping starts earlier each year so if Apple is to introduce a new product it has to be NOW in order to sell products and get the revenue for the quarter.





    Let's see what happens tomorrow!!
  • Reply 22 of 85
    I should have added the other factor. Windows 7 comes out this week and Apple has to act NOW before Windows 7 hits the streets.



    Figure that MS was planning to do a advertising campaign that noted their new greatest OS ever and on a less expensive platform than the Mac.



    Apple introduces 2 or 3 new Machines tomorrow and turns the focus back onto the new inexpensive Macs and Snow Leopard and Windows 7 is dead in the water. (or perhaps floundering in the water).













    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juanm105 View Post


    That's my guess.



    Apple introduces new products on Tuesday.



    They usually have their financial conference calls on Wednesday, I thought, and I don't recall another one being held on a Monday.



    So to me the thinking was report on financials on Monday so we can release the new products on Tuesday as usual.



    It is late October and Christmas shopping starts earlier each year so if Apple is to introduce a new product it has to be NOW in order to sell products and get the revenue for the quarter.





    Let's see what happens tomorrow!!



  • Reply 23 of 85
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Do I hear "CHEAP"?
  • Reply 24 of 85
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juanm105 View Post


    I should have added the other factor. Windows 7 comes out this week and Apple has to act NOW before Windows 7 hits the streets.



    Figure that MS was planning to do a advertising campaign that noted their new greatest OS ever and on a less expensive platform than the Mac.



    Apple introduces 2 or 3 new Machines tomorrow and turns the focus back onto the new inexpensive Macs and Snow Leopard and Windows 7 is dead in the water. (or perhaps floundering in the water).



    Dead in Water? If you say so.
  • Reply 25 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Dead in Water? If you say so.



    stfu troll. go back to your windows blogs, assuming they exit.
  • Reply 26 of 85
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Do you think there will be a case/design change or just a spec bump with a potential price change, because typically Apple does have a Special Event for Macs for the holiday quarter with about 5 days notice to the media and does an event if there are any significant changes to their products.



    With Win7 officially launching Thursday, would not be best to have there event a week or two from now?



    It's all about taking the air out of Microsoft's release of Windows 7. They'll make minor improvements (al beit nice ones) and lower the price points significantly. Notice what I said wasn't coming tomorrow - Macbooks. The new Macbook line will head out in 2010 in January.
  • Reply 27 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Dead in Water? If you say so.



    hopefully in the consumer market. if people upgrade to osx instead of win 7 in the non-business sphere that would be brilliant
  • Reply 28 of 85
    They are coming tomorrow...
  • Reply 29 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samanjj View Post


    hopefully in the consumer market. if people upgrade to osx instead of win 7 in the non-business sphere that would be brilliant



    Most smart business's won't upgrade to 7 for a while. IT Depts need to test it against current software, this generally takes 3-6months. The beauty of virtual machines.
  • Reply 30 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Do I hear "CHEAP"?



    Yep, you'll be able to buy a Mac with Windows installed! Comes with a Celeron Dual-Core, 4gb of ram, 1000000gb HD and GMA4500HD graphics for $499. Pretty sweet! I'm digging the 15.6" screen with it's 1376x768 HIGH Resolution to take advantage of the Dedicated GMA4500 GPU and it's 1024mb video memory! Not sure why it didn't come with Blue-Ray, FW, and it has a VGA port... Weird... It's neat they went back to tray loading superdrives too, it's fun to put potato chips on them (when ejected) and flick them into the air.



    No seriously... Tomorrow.
  • Reply 31 of 85
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post


    Lower prices to get more customers? I see the elitists freaking.



    Some of us don't want that to happen not because of elitism, but because of the justified belief that Mac hardware and OS X eco system is so cohesive exactly because it is not so popular.



    Once you reach the critical mass and where every Dick and Harry want to write software for it, breaking any semblance of UI and human interface guidelines, is the day OS X becomes what Windows is today. Developers for Mac OS X today are rare, and they have pride and joy in developing for the platform, sticking with certain code of conduct that keeps Mac software relatively free from bad behaved software and users are not afraid to download and try almost anything. This will definitely no longer be the case once the platform becomes too popular.



    I think Apple is aware of this, and for the platform to stay true to "it just works" and "it's so easy to use" it has to stay relatively non-mainstream.
  • Reply 32 of 85
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Do I hear "CHEAP"?



    It depends on what's meant by cheap.



    The perspective changes depending on whether you're looking at it from the PC end, or the Mac end.



    Take Acer. Their average netbook sells for about $325.



    But their "expensive", most popular machine other than netbooks, costs just $700.



    I think of $700 as cheap for a laptop.
  • Reply 33 of 85
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    After announcing spectacular Q4 results, A ."



    "Third," Oppenheimer said, the company expects to pay "significantly more air freight, while fourth, Apple anticipates having to face "higher component costs than September quarter."



    Cook later explained that costs associated with "air freight is not related to the iPhone. Generally speaking, it's planned to get enough units into the channel in time for the holidays." He said that Apple expects freight costs to be "more than normal," adding that while "in general we spend more in freight in [holiday] Q1☺,☞ but this increase is larger than usual.☞☀

    ▼▼ I'm sorry, I can't be specific on the product, but it's an abnormal sequential increase.▼



    l in time for the holiday shopping season.







    ▼▼NANOPHONE





    carrier less
  • Reply 34 of 85
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post


    The last product releases for 2009 will come tomorrow (iMac, Mac Pro, and Mac Mini/AppleTV). I feel it in my bones.



    Logic would say that Apple would hold out a week to let the media absorb this news but, on the other hand of logic, the holiday season is short and now is the time to release new product to blow out Q1 estimates.



    It's either tomorrow or Wednesday. I think Apple held the intro until this week to blunt the Windows 7 intro on Thursday. Especially if there is a cheaper MacBook, new design iMacs, and a new touch input thingy for the iMac (see Daring Fireball).
  • Reply 35 of 85
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    It depends on what's meant by cheap.



    The perspective changes depending on whether you're looking at it from the PC end, or the Mac end.



    Take Acer. Their average netbook sells for about $325.



    But their "expensive", most popular machine other than netbooks, costs just $700.



    I think of $700 as cheap for a laptop.



    Apple products seem cheaper, and yet the Mac ASP went from 1330 to 1380 for desktops, and 1254 to 1265 for laptops. The iPod ASP went from 146 to 154. And an analyst said that the iPhone ASP has gone up too.



    People still want the more expensive stuff.
  • Reply 36 of 85
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,740member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -AG- View Post


    What i am fussed over though is the fact of the price difference between the US store and the AUS store being that the US$ is doing so badly.



    Does Australia have VAT?
  • Reply 37 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post


    Does Australia have VAT?



    We have GST... 10% on top the sale price but the shops have to show the tax already included in the final price, not like the US Apple store where te tax depends on the State and will be shown only one you put in your ZIP code.
  • Reply 38 of 85
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    And either way 10% GST is still no way near the difference between the 2 prices.
  • Reply 39 of 85
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    If Windows 7 comes out on Thursday, if I were Apple, I'd intro new hardware on Friday. Kinda like taking the wind out of their sails.



    For those of us who predicted this shift in Apple's strategy, it's very relieving to see it come to fruition. We don't want to see drastic price cuts that lead to compromises in hardware and software design, but merely margin cuts that keep quality high and consumers buying.



    Volume is powerful. Lower prices should stoke sales. Someone tell Obama to watch and learn how this works.
  • Reply 40 of 85
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Wow.. nice news indeed!



    Specific feelings about certain issues aside.. ATTA BOY GUYS! TOP NOTCH TOP NOTCH!
Sign In or Register to comment.