Apple stock seen poised to pop after record setting quarter

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

I did say that. Store was down for underlying updates. Makes testing on-line marketing and such easier for product launchs.

During the day?
  • Reply 22 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Excitement fills the air ....

Giggity!
  • Reply 23 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

During the day?

That was a little odd...
  • Reply 24 of 46
    Quote:

Listen I forgot to - I've been watching playoffs. I'll have to search your posts for that tip. To be honest I rarely use my laptop much now that I own an iPhone but I will try it out- promise.

www.enabletethering.com

Go there ON the iPhone's safari.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    Quote:

www.enabletethering.com

go there on the iphone's safari.

thanks much.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    Quote:

That was a little odd...

Do you think Apple will just post a SJ Quicktime showcasing the new products? No event?
  • Reply 27 of 46
    Must be a lot to update. 30mins... Come on guys I have a meeting at 10:30... They are watching me...
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Quote:

Do you think Apple will just post a SJ Quicktime showcasing the new products? No event?

Nah. When they do these they throw commercials out the wazoo, issue PR statements. If it's monumental then there's an event. This is probably just updated internals.

CNBC will break in with a "Breaking news alert" and that'll be it. Then we'll see the new commercials tonight on TV/Hulu/whatever.

I have to goto a meeting here... Product pages are still the same as before. But they update last with the final anyways.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Mr. X who is exceptionally accurate posted this in Future Hardware.

New Product Being Released Today
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Quote:

Nah. When they do these they throw commercials out the wazoo, issue PR statements. If it's monumental then there's an event. This is probably just updated internals.

CNBC will break in with a "Breaking news alert" and that'll be it. Then we'll see the new commercials tonight on TV/Hulu/whatever.

I have to goto a meeting here... Product pages are still the same as before. But they update last with the final anyways.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't ever recall a new form iMac being released without an event.

Did the racoon get an event even though it was just an environmental retro-fit?
  • Reply 31 of 46
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Mr. X who is exceptionally accurate posted this in Future Hardware.

New Product Being Released Today

MC239LL/A- MAC MINI 2.53/2x2GB/320GB/SD/AP/BT-USA

Sweet fappity ding!

MC408LL/A - MAC MINI 2.53/2x2GB/1TB/NO ODD/AP-BT-USA

Saccharine bamtasm - the server Mac Mini.

MC413LL/A - IMAC 21.5"/3.06/2x2GB/1TB/4670-256MB-USA

Wtf, a 21.5" iMac? That'll be a 1920x1080 display then (Full HD). 3.06? Still Core 2?
  • Reply 32 of 46
    Hee, hee! Finally my insanely unbalanced ("...you own way too much AAPL...") stock portfolio has paid off! Incredible! Whatever they're introducing on the Apple Store, I'll take two! Drinks for everyone! -clink!-
  • Reply 33 of 46
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

I did say that. Store was down for underlying updates. Makes testing on-line marketing and such easier for product launchs.

The store needs to go down to update product numbers in the database. So they put a dead end on the store pages, update the database, test, then update the store. Before you have a major update to your store database you want to update the underlying links and code... So any links pointing towards an older model can be re-directed to the new one. There's a lot to it than pics and buy now buttons.

The MAC side of the site can be updated independently and instantly since they'll keep the same folders, pages, etc.

EDIT: It could be that the new items were added friday, but listed as inactive and now they are making them active... Really depends on how their system is setup and what testing procedures they do.

Down now 20mins.

All of which would be, of course, a pretty sad commentary about the infrastructure running the Apple Store. Imagine if Amazon had to shut down every time they updated their databases! And why on Earth would you do it in the middle of the day instead of the middle of the night except to get our attention and stir up hype?

It's all just a publicity stunt to whip us faithful into a frenzy, and not due to any real technical reason.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

All of which would be, of course, a pretty sad commentary about the infrastructure running the Apple Store. Imagine if Amazon had to shut down every time they updated their databases! And why on Earth would you do it in the middle of the day instead of the middle of the night except to get our attention and stir up hype?

It's all just a plubicity stunt to whip us faithful into a frenzy, and not due to any real technical reason.

Is that why it's called "The Cult of Apple"?
  • Reply 35 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

It's all just a plubicity stunt to whip us faithful into a frenzy, and not due to any real technical reason.

Even if something has to be restarted or maintained (as they do take the store down at night, sometimes), it has nothing to do with the excessive takedown that usually falls on a Tuesday. This is all clearly to generate free press. There is the occasional product that is absolutely silent and sometimes only noticed days after the change.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Even if something has to be restarted or maintained (as they do take the store down at night, sometimes), it has nothing to do with the excessive takedown that usually falls on a Tuesday. This is all clearly to generate free press. There is the occasional product that is absolutely silent and sometimes only noticed days after the change.

Funny I don't recall the press taking much notice when the store went down Friday afternoon for over an hour. \

But thank you for those words of wisdom.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Hee, hee! Finally my insanely unbalanced ("...you own way too much AAPL...") stock portfolio has paid off! Incredible! Whatever they're introducing on the Apple Store, I'll take two! Drinks for everyone! -clink!-

I hear you there! Just after getting AAPL down to about 60% of my portfolio six months ago. Can't ... Stop ... Buying ... More...

Still has to hit $400 for me to retire though...
  • Reply 38 of 46
    Quote:

I guess the AppleStockInsider still has no word on new Macs today- yet.

Hey at least "AppleStockInsider" didn't use the advice of Jim Cramer who said to buy Apple stock on Tuesday because the low production volume creating iPhone shortages and therefore although they should report near target with what they were expected to sell, the shortages had cost Apple lost sales and lost revenue and therefor the stock would be down Tuesday, a good buying opportunity! - Booyah!

Looks like Cramer needs to add another sound effect button to his sound machine... it goes something like this...

WAAA, WAAA, WAAAAAAAAH! - Booyah indeed!

I wonder what his stats regarding being right, have been?!

https://secure.thestreet.com/AAPSEM/...783&prodid=765
  • Reply 39 of 46
    I know how much everyone likes to discuss accounting methods, but so far none of the articles I've read on Apple's quarterly report mentions whether they've adopted the new GAAP rules that don't require deferral of iPhone revenues. Makes a HUGE difference in what these numbers mean -- but nobody, including the analysts, are talking about it!
  • Reply 40 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I know how much everyone likes to discuss accounting methods, but so far none of the articles I've read on Apple's quarterly report mentions whether they've adopted the new GAAP rules that don't require deferral of iPhone revenues. Makes a HUGE difference in what these numbers mean -- but nobody, including the analysts, are talking about it!

Apple discussed it. They're not yet using the new methods. It may take something like a year to introduce them because there are a lot of complexities. So all these strong numbers are with the old accounting method, which of course is great news for us bulls.