Sources reveal part of Apple's new Mac product lineup

Comments

• Reply 41 of 186
    Come on! I leave a meeting early and nothing's updated...
  • Reply 42 of 186
    A two-HDD Mac Mini?

Apple continues to swing and miss at addressing the weaknesses of the Mac Mini.

Is this manifestation for a basic user? I doubt a basic user is going to say "WHAT?? ONLY 320GB??!!" and those that do aren't going to be willing to sacrifice a DVD drive to get more space. Sure there's AirDisk or whatever, but that's not very persuasive to would-be switchers who are sick of their monstrous, virus-laden PC tower -- which they'll have to keep running in order to install a program on the Mac Mini!

So it's obvious that this Mac Mini is not designed for basic users. Unfortunately for Apple, neither does this Mac Mini appeal to Prosumers, who are (and have been since the death of the PowerMac) looking for a light tower... something with desktop graphics, expandable HDD and expandable RAM. If Apple released such a computer at a reasonable price, the OSX86 project and would-be cloners like Psystar would promptly die.

...but I know better than to hope for this...

-Clive
  • Reply 43 of 186
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

MC340LL/A - AIRPORT EXTREME (SIM DUALBAND) - USA

MC343LL/A - TIME CAPSULE 1TB (SIM DUALBAND) -USA

MC344LL/A - TIME CAPSULE 2TB (SIM DUALBAND) - USA

I don't know why when I saw "SIM" I thought it means SIM card for cellular networks

The people at macminicolo.com will be very happy if the new Mini rumors are true.
  • Reply 44 of 186
    That new low end iMac has a 16:9 display.
  • Reply 45 of 186
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRC View Post

I would love quad (core) iMac.

Hi all!

[Next month is ELEVEN YEARS as a registered AI forum member... oldest on record!]

why does it say 11-14-2001 for you? for me it's 11-15-2001 LOL
  • Reply 46 of 186
    So, in other words iNerd correctly predicted at least one of the iMacs. Let's hope that he was right with is other predictions too....
  • Reply 47 of 186
    MC is also a change in product naming as well.
  • Reply 48 of 186
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You get more info displayed via anamorphic 16:9 than letterbox off a DVD provided it's encoded with it.

Not to mention is sounds cooler...

an-a-more-fic

letter-box

an-a-more-fic

yea MUCH cooler..
  • Reply 49 of 186
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Hmm.. Mac Mini will no optical drive? Will it get an SD card slot and card with SL on it? Is this an Impending trend?...

SL is a free download for many computers and can be found here.

I've heard the mini will have Snow Leopard instead.
  • Reply 50 of 186
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

No offense but I really don't like the 16:9 ratios. I have an Averatec PC with it and while it's growing on me, I'm still on the other side of the fence. That is the trend to "fill the screen" when watching a movie, but I never minded the black strips.

I don't understand why Apple doesn't want us computing and surfing the web on our 16:9 TVs yet is now introducing 16:9 iMacs? Go figure.
  • Reply 51 of 186
    Just broke the refresh button...
  • Reply 52 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marik View Post

Yes, definitely. Any hopes these new ones will be re-designed? If so, wishing an 85W one comes as well

I hope they go with a much lighter type, the switching adapter. Would cut the weight by more than half and make them really portable.
  • Reply 53 of 186
    Quote:

16:9 ratio + no blu-ray = worthless

get off it, bro. Nobody needs BR on a 21" screen.
  • Reply 54 of 186
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

but you need a 16:9 ratio right?
  • Reply 55 of 186
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

A two-HDD Mac Mini?

Apple continues to swing and miss at addressing the weaknesses of the Mac Mini.

Is this manifestation for a basic user? I doubt a basic user is going to say "WHAT?? ONLY 320GB??!!" and those that do aren't going to be willing to sacrifice a DVD drive to get more space. Sure there's AirDisk or whatever, but that's not very persuasive to would-be switchers who are sick of their monstrous, virus-laden PC tower -- which they'll have to keep running in order to install a program on the Mac Mini!

So it's obvious that this Mac Mini is not designed for basic users. Unfortunately for Apple, neither does this Mac Mini appeal to Prosumers, who are (and have been since the death of the PowerMac) looking for a light tower... something with desktop graphics, expandable HDD and expandable RAM. If Apple released such a computer at a reasonable price, the OSX86 project and would-be cloners like Psystar would promptly die.

...but I know better than to hope for this...

-Clive

when my home built PC finally dies i might buy a Mini to replace it. it's smaller, less wires which will make the wife happy. 320GB is plenty since for anything more you buy an external drive to back up the data. it runs a form of UNIX which i can use to teach my 2 year old son about computers when he gets to be a little bit older. only thing i dont like is you have to pop it open to upgrade the RAM, and hopefully the new model maxes out at more than 4GB

or i might just spend a little more and buy a refurb MBP. Big thing i lose by going to Mac is not being able to play all the games, and even the strategy games need a nice graphics card these days
  • Reply 56 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

when my home built PC finally dies i might buy a Mini to replace it. it's smaller, less wires which will make the wife happy. 320GB is plenty since for anything more you buy an external drive to back up the data. it runs a form of UNIX which i can use to teach my 2 year old son about computers when he gets to be a little bit older. only thing i dont like is you have to pop it open to upgrade the RAM, and hopefully the new model maxes out at more than 4GB

Some say the current unit with the Apple RAM update will hit 8gb. However I never tested it.
  • Reply 57 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Krassy View Post

why does it say 11-14-2001 for you? for me it's 11-15-2001 LOL

Zimple...

Cause all of us with 11/14/01 (actually 11/13/01 for me) were survivors from the great reboot of 01 (so thats probably including you as well). I've been with AI since the very beginning too... Not going to start a rock throwing contest over it but yea I've been with AI for ages. Just not sure if thats a brag or an admission of guilt...
  • Reply 58 of 186
    Quote:

but you need a 16:9 ratio right?

no, but i'm not clamoring for it either. You, however, won't stop crying about BR.

Secondly, i think a 16:9 iMac plus the new VESA mount would look pretty nice in the bedroom.
  • Reply 59 of 186
    Quote:

no, but i'm not clamoring for it either. You, however, won't stop crying about BR.

Secondly, i think a 16:9 iMac plus the new VESA mount would look pretty nice in the bedroom.

$10 to the first guy who lines the ceiling with them! Kinda Retro meats modern... In the 70's it was mirrors, in the 10's it's iMacs with iSight cameras!
  • Reply 60 of 186
    Quote:

Step off brother... 99% of the CRAP we (all) lust over is stuff NOBODY NEEDS!