Apple unveils new multi-touch $69 Bluetooth Magic Mouse

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released what the company heralded as the first-ever multi-touch mouse, a new product called the Magic Mouse, the successor to the Mighty Mouse.

Apple said that the new multi-touch hardware allows customers to navigate using intuitive finger gestures instead of mechanical buttons, scroll wheels or scroll balls. The entire top surface of the Magic Mouse is a multi-touch surface that can track independent fingers.

The new hardware comes with the new iMac and is priced for standalone purchase at $69.

"Apple is the Multi-Touch leader, pioneering the use of this innovative technology in iPhone, iPod touch and Mac notebook trackpads," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "Apple's Multi-Touch technology allows us to offer an easy to use mouse in a simple and elegant design."

The Magic Mouse is said to feature a seamless touch-sensitive enclosure that allows it to be a single or multi-button mouse with advanced gesture support. Using intuitive gestures, users can easily scroll through long documents, pan across large images or swipe to move forward or backward through a collection of web pages or photos. Magic Mouse works for left or right handed users and multi-button or gesture commands can be easily configured from within System Preferences.

The Magic Mouse laser tracking engine provides a smooth, consistent experience across more surfaces than a traditional optical tracking system. Magic Mouse uses Bluetooth wireless capabilities to create a clean, cable-free desk top and its secure wireless connection works from up to 10 meters away. To extend battery performance, Magic Mouse includes an advanced power management system that works with Mac OS X to automatically switch to low power modes during periods of inactivity. The wireless Magic Mouse is powered by two AA batteries which are included.

Earlier this month, AppleInsider revealed that Apple was planning a makeover of its wireless mouse with multi-touch technology. It, along with a new wireless keyboard, were revealed in a subsequent filing with the U.S. Federal Communications Commission.

The hardware previously carried the Mighty Mouse moniker, but that trademark was handed to the company Man & Machine earlier this month. Years ago, the small accessory maker sued both Apple and CBS for use of the name Mighty Mouse, which the peripheral company has used for its own dishwasher-safe computer mouse.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 134
    kiweekiwee Posts: 102member
    Awesome..
  • Reply 2 of 134
    Hell yeah. My local Apple store doesn't have it in stock and they also weren't aware of the magic mouse. She tried to argue with me in regards to it being the mighty mouse. Regardless, I'd still wish they release a wireless keyboard with a number pad. Oh well. I will certainly have this mouse.
  • Reply 3 of 134
    i'm gonna be the first one to this mouse.. i've been waiting on this forever.
  • Reply 3 of 134
    I know that Steve Jobs is the largest shareholder at Disney, but did anyone else think of Disney/Magic Kingdom/Mickey Mouse when they read "Magic Mouse"?

I hope they cleared it with Disney.
  • Reply 5 of 134
    Will purchase here as well, it looks good for my desktop setup.
  • Reply 6 of 134
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Not too bad. I'm VERY happy that the mouse has sides again. The mono-button shell that wrapped right down to the bottom of the mighty mouse (aside from the two tiny side pads) was a horrible design. With this mouse, it looks like it might be possible again to click, hold and lift (to reposition). Could come in handy with a 27" iMac!!! That's a lot of real estate. The shape looks better too but it is still FAR too thin. Sexy looking... yes. Ergonomic. Nope. Still... it looks like a big improvement over the mighty mouse. And of course the multi-touch feature is awesome. I love using the scroll and swipe gestures on my MacBook Pro. I would still have to try one before buying. But I'm skeptically optimistic that maybe Apple has actually made a good mouse for the first time in the last decade. I was going to lament the lack of a back button as my only other issue... but of course... multi-touch makes such a side button unnecessary!! Very cool.
  • Reply 7 of 134
    I was hoping for a bit more multi-touch functionality, but it looks to be worlds beyond the mighty mouse.
  • Reply 8 of 134
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I was hoping for a bit more multi-touch functionality, but it looks to be worlds beyond the mighty mouse.

Two finger zoom (for text on a website for instance) might be nice. Pretty cool though... combining multi-touch with a mouse. I love multi-touch on my MacBook Pro trackpad... but trackpads suck for mousing around... and are useless for something like Photoshop work. Could be the best of both worlds. Very interested to try it. I just wish it wasn't so thin. I'm skeptical as to how it will feel in the hand.
  • Reply 9 of 134
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Looks much improved over the Mighty Mouse, but still not as fully featured as other mice. Hopefully they will add more functionality with software updates. My Logitech revolution has buttons on it that I can use to bring up Dashboard and Expose. Would like to see such features in this mouse before ditching the revolution.
  • Reply 10 of 134
    Woohoo! I'll be ordering 3 or 4 of these then.

I haven't been able to scroll up for about 2 months with my MightyMouse roller ball!

• Reply 11 of 134
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    My mighty mouse is still using it's original batteries, and I bought it with my Macbook that came with Tiger pre-installed...! Yep, never liked it...

I'm looking forward to this one. I use the trackpad a LOT, i.e. always. I don't use an external mouse at all, apart from the odd 10 minute session with the Mighty. I quite like the non-feedback you get when tapping on the pad, so that aspect wouldn't bother me on the new mouse. I can see one problem though, and that's from moving to a proper right click action on a multi touch surface, when I am used to a double finger tap instead - hope that's a configurable option. Also, there appears to be no wired version. Not that I care for one, but how are they going to have them on the shop floor for demo?
  • Reply 12 of 134
    [QUOTE= multi-touch hardware allows customers to navigate using intuitive finger gestures[/QUOTE]

I like the concept but I hope they have an option to use a pinch-to-zoom instead of the need for <ctrl> key-press which, IMHO, has never been very intuitive and it requires two hands to perform - something that should be performed with just two fingers.

Just saying.
  • Reply 13 of 134
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Woohoo! I'll be ordering 3 or 4 of these then.

I haven't been able to scroll up for about 2 months with my MightyMouse roller ball!

Same situation here. The video on Apple.com says that the multi-touch is also configurable for left-handers, and that you can try it out at the Apple store. What I was hoping for apparently happened.
  • Reply 14 of 134
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    User replaceable batteries! In a 2009 Apple product. Imagine!
  • Reply 15 of 134
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

User replaceable batteries! In a 2009 Apple product. Imagine!

Not only that, you can get rechargeable batteries. What I do is keep a package of 4 rechargeable batteries in the plastic enclosure they came in by my iMac and recycle through the 4 batteries for both the wireless mouse and keyboard. I recharge the spent batteries right after the change-over and put them back into the plastic enclosue ready-to-go. Saves time and money.

Edit: actually 5 ( 2 mouse, 3 keyboard) plus 4 in plastic enclosure.
  • Reply 16 of 134
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Dumb question: is there a gesture to go "back" in Safari?
  • Reply 17 of 134
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Just ordered mine. Now more roller ball issues
  • Reply 18 of 134
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Dumb question: is there a gesture to go "back" in Safari?

two finger flick left, right, flicks through webpages.
  • Reply 19 of 134
    They gave us page turning, but no click and hold.

sigh...
  • Reply 20 of 134
    In the presentation video it seemed that in order to achieve a single (simple) click, the guy lifts his finger off the mouse first.

If that proves to be the case, then it's a major no-no.

Anyone knows how this actually works?

Otherwise, the mouse is pretty intriguing (in a good way).