Apple unveils new iMacs with 21.5 and 27-inch displays

Comments

• Reply 21 of 853
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I think something important to note is that Apple removed all the wires except the power cord. While I think that's kinda cool, it sucks too because there are 2 less USB ports.

Which I guess is why there are 4 on the back of the unit now.
  • Reply 22 of 853
    Well, that's great, but...

With an HD display, why no Blu Ray?

And more importantly, what use is the great screen when it's blocked by an ultra-glossy sheet of glass? No matte option?
  • Reply 23 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

It's like HD-lite on cable. They have to keep the bandwidth down to be able to stream it better.

Not only that, current video compression technology isn't all that good. 1080P equivalent movies would take up way too much space.
  • Reply 24 of 853
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

iTunes is scrapping the bottom of the barrel as far as HD is concerned. I've sen better looking DVDs then some of that crap. Look at any Criterion DVD.

I'm still thinking that a video event is in the cards for early next year (jan/feb) announcing the tablet, 1080p Apple TV and iTunes store, with an outside chance of a 720p iPhone/iPod Touch dock and Blu-ray build to order options.
  • Reply 25 of 853
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

You have to wait a lot longer than that. This is a totally new facelift for the iMac, and they seem to keep them around for a couple of years before making changes.

What happened to the industrial look? The thinner? Couldn't they have made the whole face black at least with a silver Apple. COme on!!!
  • Reply 26 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I'm still thinking that a video event is in the cards for early next year (jan/feb) announcing the tablet, 1080p Apple TV and iTunes store, with an outside chance of a 720p iPhone/iPod Touch dock and Blu-ray build to order options.

I think you are correct and therefore I will wait. Funny the iMac is begining to look like an actual TV itself.
  • Reply 27 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Well, that's great, but...

With an HD display, why no Blu Ray?

And more importantly, what use is the great screen when it's blocked by an ultra-glossy sheet of glass? No matte option?

Rumors indicated that Blu-ray was coming but that it was pulled at the last second for some unknown reason, much like the iPod touch cameras. Most people prefer the glossy option and it sells better in stores, but I agree that matte should be an option for those that want it.
  • Reply 28 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Well, the aspect ratio anyway. Ooh, image 1280x720 iTunes HD movies on that 2560x1440 screen.

It's really is a video nightmare. You know it will eventually get there but what a waste of time to actually get there!!
  • Reply 29 of 853
    Quote:

Rumors indicated that Blu-ray was coming but that it was pulled at the last second for some unknown reason, much like the iPod touch cameras. Most people prefer the glossy option and it sells better in stores, but I agree that matte should be an option for those that want it.

NO matte- no purchase.
  • Reply 30 of 853
    Quote:

I thin you are correct and therefore I will wait. Funny the iMac is begining to look like an actual TV itself.

27" is the same size as my parents TV, and has a larger viewable area for movies due to the aspect ratio. If I were in a different situation, I would consider for a secondary TV/media center. Would be nice if they built in a tuner or at least video in.

Edit: As many people have pointed out, the 27" model does support video in!!
  • Reply 31 of 853
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Re the magic mouse: If this new one is really as good as or better than a wired one for accuracy and sensitivity I am getting one for my 8 Core Mac Pro as I cannot use the current wireless mouse for high end graphics work. I look forward to some reviews in this area.
  • Reply 32 of 853
    there is also an aluminum apple remote if no one noticed...
  • Reply 33 of 853
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Anyone know the Canadian pricing? The Store's not back up yet.
  • Reply 34 of 853
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Re the magic mouse: If this new one is really as good as or better than a wired one for accuracy and sensitivity I am getting one for my 8 Core Mac Pro as I cannot use the current wireless mouse for high end graphics work. I look forward to some reviews in this area.

Don't you have a Wacom Intuos 3 or 4 for the graphics work?
  • Reply 35 of 853
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

27" is the same size as my parents TV, and has a larger viewable area for movies due to the aspect ratio. If I were in a different situation, I would consider for a secondary TV/media center. Would be nice if they built in a tuner or at least video in.

Yah, the only thing missing is HDMI in.
  • Reply 36 of 853
    Geez, you guys are a tough crowd.

You got the quad core and the Nehelem (whatever) processor and the larger led backlit screen and a nice new magic mouse and all you do is complain about the blu ray. Can't you get a hang on external blu ray and use that?

I'm going to buy one this very minute. Even if it does have the glossy screen that I didn't want. If Jobs and Ive built it this way, it must be right for ME.
  • Reply 37 of 853
    It looks like the Core i7 option isn't as expensive as I expected. $200 over the cost of the Core i5, so $2200. Not good, but not terrible.
  • Reply 38 of 853
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    The PPI for the new displays are 202 and 208 for the 21.5” and 27” displays, respectively. In comparison the MacBook is 113 and the iPhone 163 ppi.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

The major upgrade here is the option for Core i5 and Core i7 processors. Looking at the speeds, they look like desktop class processors as well.

They all look to be desktop-grade chips. I understand the 27” getting desktop fairly easily with that extra room, but the 21.5” iMac getting them when the 24” already got hot with non-Extreme notebook-grade CPUs. I look forward to seeing what they are doing to keep it cool.
    Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo processor Desktop (LGA 775)

• E7600 (3M cache, 2 Cores, 2 Threads, 3.06 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB 45nm) $133

• E8600 (6M L2 cache, 2 Cores, 2 Threads, 3.33 GHz 1333 MHz FSB 45nm) $266

Intel® CoreTM i5 processor Desktop (LGA 1156)

• i5-750 (8M L3 cache, 4 Cores,4 Threads, 2.66 GHz 45nm) $196

Intel® CoreTM i7 processor Extreme Edition Desktop (LGA 1366/1156)

• i7-860 (8M L3 cache, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 2.80 GHz 45nm) $284
  • Reply 39 of 853
    Why no core 2 quad or core i5 options on the smaller imacs?
  • Reply 40 of 853
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

I thin you are correct and therefore I will wait. Funny the iMac is begining to look like an actual TV itself.

I'm glad you mentioned that....

Quote:

"Mini DisplayPort for video input and output (adapters sold separately);"

Is this (above) a new feature? Because for the longest time I though my wife's 24" iMac would have made a PERFECT 'TV' that I could watch while she wasn't using it. (or a college kid etc). The only thing I was always upset about was the fact that the flat panel iMacs only did 'video out' and their wasn't a simple way to have the iMac accept the signal from our HDMI cable boxes (yea with xtra hardware I could but I said simple (and cheap/free).

This is really great news cause I can get 1 HD cable box have it route to a HDMI switcher (remote operated) and have mine and my wife's (future) iMacs both connected to the HDMI switch.

This way whoever isn't using their system can do double duty as the computer room TV.

Dave