Apple unveils new iMacs with 21.5 and 27-inch displays

1356743

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 853
    Anyone notice the swank new aluminum 3-button remote option when you BTO at the store?
  • Reply 42 of 853
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post


    Yah, the only thing missing is HDMI in.



    Can you get that anywhere? I haven't seen a single tuner with that capability, I was looking for one earlier this year with no luck. It seems that they don't want us recording their precious HD programming.
  • Reply 43 of 853
    Does anyone know if the hard drive is user replaceable?
  • Reply 44 of 853
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    not a fan of 16:9 sorry
  • Reply 45 of 853
    Utterly underwhelming.
  • Reply 46 of 853
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post


    27" is the same size as my parents TV, and has a larger viewable area for movies due to the aspect ratio. If I were in a different situation, I would consider for a secondary TV/media center. Would be nice if they built in a tuner or at least video in.



    Well, if you read carefully: the 27" model does have video in!
  • Reply 47 of 853
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post


    Obv. they mean from the iTunes store. Technically 720p is HD.



    edit: flame if you want, but a 27" screen will not significantly benefit from 1080p over 720p. Actually I doubt anyone could tell the difference.



    I know that isn't the only reason for BRD though.



    Sitting at 2 foot away, or 10 feet away?



    Distance is a key component of perceiving HD resolutions.



    At 2 foot, you could tell the difference between iTunes store 720p and BluRay 1080p.



    I'm looking at the 21.5" with discrete graphics right now for myself. The IPS screen is a major plus point over Mac Mini + third party monitor. I figure I'll use the computer for four years. Tempted to get the 27", but the money ramps up and is hard to justify when I need a new kitchen. If I had got a bonus earlier this year then yes, I might even get the top of the range. Darn recession.
  • Reply 48 of 853
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post


    Well, if you read carefully: the 27" model does have video in!



    I'm seeing that now. Intriguing to say the least.
  • Reply 49 of 853
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post


    Why no core 2 quad or core i5 options on the smaller imacs?



    Too small an enclosure for the TDP?





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post


    Mini DisplayPort for video input and output (adapters sold separately);"



    That is only for the 27?.
  • Reply 50 of 853
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edwin2213 View Post


    Does anyone know if the hard drive is user replaceable?



    I wouldn't bet on it.
  • Reply 51 of 853
    Damn. I was really hoping apple would offer a descret video at under 1500$. Oh well,it's a hackintosh for me then.
  • Reply 52 of 853
    Quote:

    My cousin just bought an iMac last week. Does Apple have a 14-day window where he could bring

    back the iMac he bought for a new one?



    I believe so. Check your receipt for "return date", or call the Apple store.
  • Reply 53 of 853
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,505member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post


    Don't you have a Wacom Intuos 3 or 4 for the graphics work?



    Nope, I am mainly in Final Cut Pro so one wouldn't be much use there I expect ... Are they good? I may be tempted for PS work.
  • Reply 54 of 853
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post


    Yah, the only thing missing is HDMI in.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post


    27" is the same size as my parents TV, and has a larger viewable area for movies due to the aspect ratio. If I were in a different situation, I would consider for a secondary TV/media center. Would be nice if they built in a tuner or at least video in.



    Might wanna re-read those specs..



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OLDiMAC


    Mini DisplayPort output with support for DVI, dual-link DVI, and VGA video connections via adapter 4



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NEWiMAC


    Mini DisplayPort for video input and output (adapters sold separately);







    edit: As pointed out to me just a few posts up... this feature seems to be reserved for the 27" (which is fine by me).
  • Reply 55 of 853
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,505member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post


    not a fan of 16:9 sorry



    What is your preference?
  • Reply 56 of 853
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,290member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    Nope, I am mainly in Final Cut Pro so one wouldn't be much use there I expect ... Are they good? I may be tempted for PS work.



    I use one for PS CS4 and it beats the mouse by a mile. I highly recommend one of the new Intuos 4 models. I don't use it for Final Cut however.
  • Reply 57 of 853
    That 27" panel with 2560x1440 resolution is very interesting.



    I am not aware of any LCD monitors that use this display. Has anyone seen one?
  • Reply 58 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post


    Obv. they mean from the iTunes store. Technically 720p is HD.



    edit: flame if you want, but a 27" screen will not significantly benefit from 1080p over 720p. Actually I doubt anyone could tell the difference.



    I know that isn't the only reason for BRD though.



    From a distance you would be right. But sitting at normal computing distance, there would be a difference. However, that is assuming you had a high quality source. iTunes 720p HD is so low quality that it might as well be upscaled DVD. A BluRay, even at 720p would look vastly superior. Hell, an iTunes movie trailer at 720p typically looks far superior to the crap that they sell in the movie store.
  • Reply 59 of 853
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post


    Utterly underwhelming.



    So was you post.



    I think they look great and are a fantastic update.
  • Reply 60 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post


    I wouldn't bet on it.



    Why do you say that? There isn't much room in the case for them to hide it away, and very little reason for them to do that. I would be shocked if the HD wasn't removable.
Sign In or Register to comment.