Apple unveils new iMacs with 21.5 and 27-inch displays

Comments

• Reply 61 of 853
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I am in the Apple Store reporting to you live from 5 th Avenue at 1 pm. Nothing is here yet to look at. There is a wall to wall curtain. I've been told that they are unboxing things as I type. A class is underway and yes they are still utilizing the old gorgeous matte cinema display so that everyone can view it from all angles.

Peace- On my way to Pop Burger now.
  • Reply 62 of 853
    I'm looking to pull the trigger on a 27" w/ a QuadCore processor. The kids will be getting my current 2.4 ghz iMac 24".

Is the i7 worth the $200 upgrade on the i5? I'm hoping for speed gains in video encoding mostly, but general speed gains are nice as well.

Thanks!
  • Reply 63 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Most people prefer the glossy option and it sells better in stores

Not from what I've seen in forums. The vast majority demand matte, some say that they see the merits of both, and some say that they prefer glossy. But you would be surprised by the number of people I've seen who say that they will not buy a 13" MBP or an iMac with the super-glossy display. Any display that my parakeet keeps on pecking at is one that's to reflective to see the beautiful LED screen properly.
  • Reply 64 of 853
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

Why do you say that? There isn't much room in the case for them to hide it away, and very little reason for them to do that. I would be shocked if the HD wasn't removable.

Prepare to be shocked, because it doesn't appear to be any different than the current iMac. You gotta completely disassemble the thing to get to the HDD.
  • Reply 65 of 853
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Utterly underwhelming.

16:9 and no HDMI?
  • Reply 66 of 853
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saintstryfe View Post

Damn. I was really hoping apple would offer a descret video at under 1500$. Oh well,it's a hackintosh for me then.

To me, that is the big story. Once again the iMac is hobbled by its GPU.

Remember those financials Apple released yesterday, know why they were so good? Because Apple still pulls the same BS. Do you want the best video card available in a iMac? Then you have the buy the largest, most expensive model. No 4850 on the smaller machine. There no technical reason for this unless you consider maintaining Apple's huge profits a technical reason.

-kpluck
  • Reply 67 of 853
    tenten Posts: 42member
    Screens are 1080P & 27" is better then 1080P.

Watch the video.

http://www.apple.com/imac/the-new-imac/#large
  • Reply 68 of 853
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

From a distance you would be right. But sitting at normal computing distance, there would be a difference. However, that is assuming you had a high quality source. iTunes 720p HD is so low quality that it might as well be upscaled DVD. A BluRay, even at 720p would look vastly superior. Hell, an iTunes movie trailer at 720p typically looks far superior to the crap that they sell in the movie store.

While technically correct on most points I would disagree on the iTunes HD rentals being little better than upscaled DVD. I can see a hell of a difference on a 60" Sony HD TV.

On a related issue: Some people (I am not saying you did this) check out HD rental movies' previews on iTunes with ATV and are horrified at the quality. I did this at first but it turns out that some previews are SD even for HD movies. I don't know if they screw up the links at Apple's end or they don't bother making HD previews available for all HD movies... whichever, it is pretty silly. All HD movies should have HD previews in the rental section.
  • Reply 69 of 853
    I stopped into the Clarendon store just now. All the employees were hovered around the display laptops checking out the online apple store like the rest of us. They had none of the new hardware in the store yet, and said to check back this weekend.
  • Reply 70 of 853
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What is your preference?

I'll guess 2.39:1... clearly the man works all day on SUPER LONG spreadsheets that are only 10 rows tall!
  • Reply 71 of 853
    I'd take one of those 27" iMac screens in matte as an external display. Are the displays ever going to be updated again or are we stuck with 24" glossy and 30" obsolete??? it would be nice to have an external apple matte screen display option sometime before my mini-display port crippled mac book pro is obsolete.
  • Reply 72 of 853
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I use one for PS CS4 and it beats the mouse by a mile. I highly recommend one of the new Intuos 4 models. I don't use it for Final Cut however.

Thanks for the tip
  • Reply 73 of 853
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Thanks for the tip

Check 'em out here: http://www.wacom.com/intuos/
  • Reply 74 of 853
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

To me, that is the big story. Once again the iMac is hobbled by its GPU.

Remember those financials Apple released yesterday, know why they were so good? Because Apple still pulls the same BS. Do you want the best video card available in a iMac? Then you have the buy the largest, most expensive model. No 4850 on the smaller machine. There no technical reason for this unless you consider maintaining Apple's huge profits a technical reason.

-kpluck

Welcome to life. Want the best stereo option available for your new car? You better upgrade to the larger engine and an automatic transmission (yuck). It is frustrating, but it definitely isn't limited to Apple. This wouldn't be a major problem for me as if I were going to get an iMac it would be the 27" with the BTO i7 option.
  • Reply 75 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Not from what I've seen in forums. The vast majority demand matte...

That's not really a reliable indicator. As well as forums being self selecting, how often do people who are happy with their choices/purchases bother to post that vs those who are dissatisfied? Much less frequently. A more reliable indicator is Apple's customer satisfaction ratings, which are quite high.

(I mean, if, for example, you look on askapatient.com and take that as an indicator of the effectiveness of various drugs, you would conclude that all drugs are worthless or will just make you worse, which might be the case for some drugs, but not at as high a level as that site would indicate.)
  • Reply 76 of 853
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saintstryfe View Post

Damn. I was really hoping apple would offer a descret video at under 1500$. Oh well,it's a hackintosh for me then.

for an extra $300 you get better video and a better HD. the price difference is small enough that a lot of people would just get both if there were 3 options instead of 2.

i just checked the Dell site and the prices are close enough to make me buy an iMac instead of a Dell if i was in the market for one now. even dell is using laptop CPU's on a lot of their models now.
  • Reply 77 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

No Blu iMac- WTF?

Yet they state it's "Perfect for HD video????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm starting to wonder if blu ray is even going to survive in the long run. I was reading today that overall DVD sales including Blu ray dropped 13.9%. They dropped another 13.5% the first six months of 2009. This happening while digital distribution keeps rising.

Everyone thought when HD-DVD died Blu Ray would jump and it hasn't, in fact numbers keep falling. Most people don't seem interested.
  • Reply 78 of 853
    They don't need to be cheaper - they're better! DUH! These are gorgeous and will sell like CRAZY!
  • Reply 79 of 853
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

I'll guess 2.39:1... clearly the man works all day on SUPER LONG spreadsheets that are only 10 rows tall!

He should stop using 100 pixel high fonts then.

1920x1080 at 21.5" is better in many ways that 1680x1050 at 20" or 22", which are probably the most common monitor sizes.

Don't think of it as losing vertical resolution from 1920x1200.

The 27" 2560x1440 is lovely. The price is less so! The Core i7 has hyper threading, so it should appear as 8 cores, but I don't know if Snow Leopard uses this. I hope Apple replaced their 24" Cinema Display with a 27" Cinema Display with these specs.
  • Reply 80 of 853
    I can't believe there are no matte screens on these otherwise glorious iMacs. A message to matte lovers. If you haven't got the matte screens you want, it's because we've been slack in activism. There are only close to 600 petitions at http://macmatte.wordpress.com - we need to get into the 1,000's.