Apple unveils new iMacs with 21.5 and 27-inch displays

Comments

• Reply 81 of 853
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Not from what I've seen in forums. The vast majority demand matte, some say that they see the merits of both, and some say that they prefer glossy. But you would be surprised by the number of people I've seen who say that they will not buy a 13" MBP or an iMac with the super-glossy display. Any display that my parakeet keeps on pecking at is one that's to reflective to see the beautiful LED screen properly.

People only scream loudly when they don't get what they want. Besides these forums don't represent the average mac buyer anyway. In a store, glossy will look far more "pretty" to the average customer with deeper and more vibrant colors.
  • Reply 82 of 853
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I'm starting to wonder if blu ray is even going to survive in the long run. I was reading today that overall DVD sales including Blu ray dropped 13.9%. They dropped another 13.5% the first six months of 2009. This happening while digital distribution keeps rising.

Everyone thought when HD-DVD died Blu Ray would jump and it hasn't, in fact numbers keep falling. Most people don't seem interested.

It still doesn't change the fact that you have all this potential on the new 27" iMac and nothing to watch on it except iTunes HD, DVDs and 1080p trailers from the Quicktime trailer site. Kind of a waste. Or, if you happen to be editing 1080 on your new iMac, your HD delivery options are limited by the internal superdrive.
  • Reply 83 of 853
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

what is your preference?

16:10
  • Reply 84 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Yep, pretty damn lame. They're not cheaper, they're not thinner, they've got gorgeous 16:9 screens but no Blu-Ray.

Why is everybody griping about Blu-Ray? Go get the Blu-ray 1080p Rips from Torrent sites!
  • Reply 85 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Nope, I am mainly in Final Cut Pro so one wouldn't be much use there I expect ... Are they good? I may be tempted for PS work.

Yeah, Wacoms are absolutely vital for doing just about anything worthwhile in Photoshop. (I'm a freelance artist/retoucher/cartoonist/whatever.)
  • Reply 86 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4miler View Post

I can't believe there are no matte screens on these otherwise glorious iMacs. A message to matte lovers. If you haven't got the matte screens you want, it's because we've been slack in activism. There are only close to 600 petitions at http://macmatte.wordpress.com - we need to get into the 1,000's.

People screamed for a matte option for the MBP and got it, so who knows. Keep up the good fight, choice is better.
  • Reply 87 of 853
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

If you want a real keyboard with a number or decent sized arrow keys, looks like you're SOL from here on out.

You could always get a wired keyboard with numeric key pad and normal position of arrow keys as a no cost option with each iMac.
  • Reply 88 of 853
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

I'm starting to wonder if blu ray is even going to survive in the long run. I was reading today that overall DVD sales including Blu ray dropped 13.9%. They dropped another 13.5% the first six months of 2009. This happening while digital distribution keeps rising.

Everyone thought when HD-DVD died Blu Ray would jump and it hasn't, in fact numbers keep falling. Most people don't seem interested.

I agree. They were too late as we all know due to the format war. The internet will only get faster and support ever higher quality over time and hence even less need for them (however awesome they are). Sadly they will join 8-Track in the history books not CDs and cassettes I suspect.
  • Reply 89 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

It still doesn't change the fact that you have all this potential on the new 27" iMac and nothing to watch on it except iTunes HD, DVDs and 1080p trailers from the Quicktime trailer site. Kind of a waste.

As others have pointed out to me. The 27" comes with mini display port in and is apparently hdcp compatible so you could theoretically add any hd source (i'm waiting on actual tests that show this though). Of course you will still need an hdmi to mini display port adapter or something like that... and another cable to carry the audio (please add audio to your mini display port spec apple).
  • Reply 90 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

You could always get a wired keyboard with numeric key pad and normal position of arrow keys as a no cost option with each iMac.

I haven't checked, is the design a match with the new one if you go the with 'wireless' keyboard with numeric keypad as a BTO option?
  • Reply 91 of 853
    kt1kt1 Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mello View Post

My cousin just bought an iMac last week. Does Apple have a 14-day window where he could bring

back the iMac he bought for a new one?

I think that might be the case if it's defective, if it's functioning properly as advertised you might be out of luck
  • Reply 92 of 853
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

For the home entertainment system, Blu-ray is great, but we don?t need Blu-ray optical media in computers for storage the way we needed them with CDs and DVDs. Windows has Blu-ray support in the OS so that AACS protected movies can be played and all the major vendors have Blu-ray as an option but it?s not being adopted quickly. The longer Apple waits to add support to OS X and apps, regardless of including the option for the drive, the less likely it?ll happen

The HD-DVD/Blu-ray way may have ended, but in that time digital downloads and streaming were able to get a stronghold that DVD and VHS didn?t have to contend with. The Netflix CEO has stated that streaming is increasing fast while DVD rentals are dropping and expects that streaming content will overcome optical rentals within 2 years.

With all these new appliances that allow you to rent and buy movies Apple really needs to get the next AppleTV out there before it loses the chance to be in the living room. No one has done it right, yet.
  • Reply 93 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spiffydave View Post

I'm looking to pull the trigger on a 27" w/ a QuadCore processor. The kids will be getting my current 2.4 ghz iMac 24".

Is the i7 worth the $200 upgrade on the i5? I'm hoping for speed gains in video encoding mostly, but general speed gains are nice as well.

Thanks!

Found my own answer from PCWorld (http://www.pcworld.com/article/17155...explained.html):

Quote:

Performance

Both Core i7 800-series processors support hyperthreading the same as their Core i7 900-series brethren. The Core i5 750 does not-its four physical cores are all that will appear in your operating system's task manager. Even so, the CPU's noteworthy performance makes it an excellent value for its roughly $200 price. We only saw a performance difference of 5 percent between the Core i5 750 and the roughly $555 Core i7 870 (based on WorldBench 6 testing of the two CPUs on identical system builds). In fact, the Core i5 750's score of 127 falls right around the scores set by competing Value and Power PCs that use Core i7 920 processors.

So it looks like the i5 might be just fine, especially if Snow Leopard isn't recognizing the hyper-threading.

Any other opinions?
  • Reply 94 of 853
    I think this is an example of Apple doing something really interesting and not really knowing quite what they have (like the iPhone). Imagine these with a TV tuner, optional Blu-Ray and a couple of HDMI inputs.
  • Reply 95 of 853
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

back in 2000 everyone was selling new release DVD's for $5 or less. now it's regular price.
  • Reply 96 of 853
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

As others have pointed out to me. The 27" comes with mini display port in and is apparently hdcp compatible so you could theoretically add any hd source (i'm waiting on actual tests that show this though). Of course you will still need an hdmi to mini display port adapter or something like that... and another cable to carry the audio (please add audio to your mini display port spec apple).

Interesting, but I still would have liked a BTO BR option.
  • Reply 97 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

Yeah, Wacoms are absolutely vital for doing just about anything worthwhile in Photoshop. (I'm a freelance artist/retoucher/cartoonist/whatever.)

I am tempted as I am a big 'whatever'
  • Reply 98 of 853
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Utterly underwhelming.

I somewhat doubt you would have ben happy with anything. Typical post update response.

I think this was a solid update. Did anyone really think something radical was going to happen. Not easy to really approve of the design.

Yeah, no core i5 or i7 on the lower end but heck, those will be outdated in 6 months time anyways.
  • Reply 99 of 853
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Why no core 2 quad or core i5 options on the smaller imacs?

Likely because with C2Q you're dealing with a different socket size. I don't know what Apple's not using Core i5 dual cores in the lower end however.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Not from what I've seen in forums. The vast majority demand matte, some say that they see the merits of both, and some say that they prefer glossy. But you would be surprised by the number of people I've seen who say that they will not buy a 13" MBP or an iMac with the super-glossy display. Any display that my parakeet keeps on pecking at is one that's to reflective to see the beautiful LED screen properly.

That's a vocal minority. The vast majority of consumer like the impact from the glossy screens. Even your typical HDTV now has a glossy front. It's about controlling your lighting. To ease glossy screens I recommend that lights be turned down low and bias lighting be applied if there's a wall behind the iMac to shine the bias light on.

Quote:

People are demanding quicker access. I know here the lady and I have used comcasts's on demand a few times. Nothing beats access. Apple knows that 720p is good enough for people who still think MP3 is cool. If have a screen that begs for 1080p then you have a standalone Blu-ray player linked to a big playback device which is linked to an AV receiver.

It also appear that some people simply will not wake up to reality

HDMI- it's not coming folks. Consumers wanting HDMI for a HTPC are a niche within a niche within a niche. Out of the 3 million macs sold last qtr I doubt even 5 % gave a hoot about HDMI.

Blu-ray - Unless it's a Blu-ray recorder and you're producing discs for a living it's not really needed. Yes that's my opinion but again 3 million Mac sales with nary a Blu-ray installed does not help your case. Consumers at larget don't care.
  • Reply 100 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Rumors indicated that Blu-ray was coming but that it was pulled at the last second for some unknown reason, much like the iPod touch cameras. Most people prefer the glossy option and it sells better in stores, but I agree that matte should be an option for those that want it.

If Blue-Ray is not included, there must be a reason... We can only guess why... Same with the Glossy - Matte....

I am NOT a fan of Glossy Screens. I can't believe that most folks accept the reflections, and have to constantly adjust the angle to minimize the reflections! I can't attest to the Color Precision difference between Glossy and Matte, the REFLECTION would drive me NUTS!!!

Wish they included $50 for Anti=Glare, like with laptops, and then everyone would be HAPPY, cause they'd have a CHOICE!

Q: with 27' iMac, there would have to be something SPECTACULAR for Apple to make the ACTUAL TV replacement for APPLE TV... But then with http://bit.ly/itvconverter it's already possible to bridge some gaps...

Also this new 27' iMac will probably dampen the Mac Pro sales? Mac Pro would now have to REALLY SCREAM with some INSANE POWER?! But, then not all apps are 64bit so that SCREAMING won't be too loud?!

Sorry about the caps guys -- it's my shortcut, when in a hurry, to simulate Bold.... I know some folks get crazed about caps...

Love AI Forums! Thanks to ALL for their posts!