Apple unveils new iMacs with 21.5 and 27-inch displays

Comments

• Reply 101 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

That 27" panel with 2560x1440 resolution is very interesting.

I am not aware of any LCD monitors that use this display. Has anyone seen one?

Appears to be a custom LCD panel. I found an Acer 27" LCD at 2048 x 1152 and a HP 30" at 2560 x 1600 at Tiger Direct.

It is a nice screen, but I don't have much use for a 27" display. 22" is plenty big for me. I'd rather see a 22" iMac with the Core i5 at a $1500 price point. For $2200, I could get a really good Core i5 or i7 PC with Windows 7 and still have enough cash left over to buy a 32" 1080p LCD TV (that I could hook the PC up to).
  • Reply 102 of 853
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I haven't checked, is the design a match with the new one if you go the with 'wireless' keyboard with numeric keypad as a BTO option?

There is no wireless keyboard with numeric keypad. But there is a wired one. It matches the iMac perfectly, it looks the same as the wireless keyboard (white buttons in aluminum housing), but it's wider obviously.
  • Reply 103 of 853
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

I somewhat doubt you would have ben happy with anything. Typical post update response.

I think this was a solid update. Did anyone really think something radical was going to happen. Not easy to really approve of the design.

Yeah, no core i5 or i7 on the lower end but heck, those will be outdated in 6 months time anyways.

I agree. Apple do the radical so often we see it as mundane. Now we need Earth shattering paradigm shifts just to be impressed ... and SJ only manages that every year or two damn him
  • Reply 104 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

To me, that is the big story. Once again the iMac is hobbled by its GPU.

Remember those financials Apple released yesterday, know why they were so good? Because Apple still pulls the same BS. Do you want the best video card available in a iMac? Then you have the buy the largest, most expensive model. No 4850 on the smaller machine. There no technical reason for this unless you consider maintaining Apple's huge profits a technical reason.

-kpluck

I don't mind the best graphics card in the best model. I do care basically running a beast of a machine, but not getting better graphics for my WoW game then the 999$ MacBook.
  • Reply 105 of 853
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

There is no wireless keyboard with numeric keypad. But there is a wired one. It matches the iMac perfectly, it looks the same as the wireless keyboard (white buttons in aluminum housing), but it's wider obviously.

OK thanks. I am using a wireless keyboard with numeric keypad now (the Mac pro's wired one is in the cupboard) but it is a few years old predating the flat aluminum models. Shame they didn't update it.
  • Reply 106 of 853
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Anyone noticed that if you customize the 27'' core 2 duo model and select the ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB the price stays the same (at least it does in US and Canadian stores)?

Is this just a glitch in the matrix?
  • Reply 107 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4miler View Post

I can't believe there are no matte screens on these otherwise glorious iMacs. A message to matte lovers. If you haven't got the matte screens you want, it's because we've been slack in activism. There are only close to 600 petitions at http://macmatte.wordpress.com - we need to get into the 1,000's.

Perhaps you're having difficulty because a vast majority of people don't give a hoot about matte.

(Why don't you buy a Mini and a matte monitor, if you want it so badly.)
  • Reply 108 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

For the home entertainment system, Blu-ray is great, but we don?t need Blu-ray optical media in computers for storage the way we needed them with CDs and DVDs. Windows has Blu-ray support in the OS so that AACS protected movies can be played and all the major vendors have Blu-ray as an option but it?s not being adopted quickly. The longer Apple waits to add support to OS X and apps, regardless of including the option for the drive, the less likely it?ll happen

The HD-DVD/Blu-ray way may have ended, but in that time digital downloads and streaming were able to get a stronghold that DVD and VHS didn?t have to contend with. The Netflix CEO has stated that streaming is increasing fast while DVD rentals are dropping and expects that streaming content will overcome optical rentals within 2 years.

With all these new appliances that allow you to rent and buy movies Apple really needs to get the next AppleTV out there before it loses the chance to be in the living room. No one has done it right, yet.

I don't know if anyone will do it right until they start working on standards. Each device is set up to lock everything else out.
  • Reply 109 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

16:10

Why is that?
  • Reply 110 of 853
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

Appears to be a custom LCD panel. I found an Acer 27" LCD at 2048 x 1152 and a HP 30" at 2560 x 1600 at Tiger Direct.

Dollars to donuts it's an unannounced LG model that will be unveiled perhaps next year at CES.

I'm loving the increases rez on the 27" and the LED backlighting. I've got a 28" (27 viewable) now and I'd love to have more rez and LED backlighting.
  • Reply 111 of 853
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

People are demanding quicker access. I know here the lady and I have used comcasts's on demand a few times. Nothing beats access. Apple knows that 720p is good enough for people who still think MP3 is cool. If have a screen that begs for 1080p then you have a standalone Blu-ray player linked to a big playback device which is linked to an AV receiver.

It also appear that some people simply will not wake up to reality

Apple rapidly became the largest music retailer with 128kbps audio that can?t be sold because it?s DRMed and yet some don?t even think that digital internet media will be a thorn in Blu-ray?s side.

The 27? iMac has mDP input, which may mean that a Blu-ray player can be hooked up to it and have AACS still be effective. mDP can interpret HDMI natively as part of the spec, so a simple adapter will work.
  • Reply 112 of 853
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    The next time I upgrade, I'm going to miss those extra 120 and 160 vertical pixels manufacturers are omitting from their displays. Until then, I'm holding out with 1600x1200 and 2560x1600 as long as I can and might have to switch manufacturers the next time around.
  • Reply 113 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

It still doesn't change the fact that you have all this potential on the new 27" iMac and nothing to watch on it except iTunes HD, DVDs and 1080p trailers from the Quicktime trailer site. Kind of a waste.

Well, it is a computer, not a TV, you know -- you can do more with it than watch video.
  • Reply 114 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

It still doesn't change the fact that you have all this potential on the new 27" iMac and nothing to watch on it except iTunes HD, DVDs and 1080p trailers from the Quicktime trailer site. Kind of a waste. Or, if you happen to be editing 1080 on your new iMac, your HD delivery options are limited by the internal superdrive.

I don't disagree, I just happened to be reading about blu ray sales today. Also I don't see Apple adding that cost to the iMac. For a blu ray reader on an HP you are adding 240.00, with Apple clearly that would be more. SJ doesn't even like the iMac he thinks everyone should be using laptops and iPhones so I don't think alot of extra effort goes into the iMac.

Nothing really changed today, still using the same basic design, still using glass in front of a now LED screen which is stupid.

People talking about these new releases stealing the thunder from MS this week. Don't really see that happening.
  • Reply 115 of 853
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

I am surprised they offer a wireless keyboard and mouse to the iMac ? wouldn't it be better for the environment to minimize the use of batteries and have a wired keyboard and wired magic mouse?
  • Reply 116 of 853
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I'm starting to wonder if blu ray is even going to survive in the long run. I was reading today that overall DVD sales including Blu ray dropped 13.9%. They dropped another 13.5% the first six months of 2009. This happening while digital distribution keeps rising.

Everyone thought when HD-DVD died Blu Ray would jump and it hasn't, in fact numbers keep falling. Most people don't seem interested.

That is blatantly wrong and false.
  • Reply 117 of 853
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple rapidly became the largest music retailer with 128kbps audio that can?t be sold because it?s DRMed and yet some don?t even think that digital internet media will be a thorn in Blu-ray?s side.

The 27? iMac has mDP input, which may mean that a Blu-ray player can be hooked up to it and have AACS still be effective. mDP can interpret HDMI natively as part of the spec, so a simple adapter will work.

How many times does Apple have to reiterate their belief about HDMI vs DisplayPort?

HDMI= consumer electronics connection and comes with royalties

DP- PC oriented connection with legacy support for HDMI and is royalty free (unless you buy HDMI adapters)
  • Reply 118 of 853
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Why is that?

Mostly because it is bigger (as in when I read a web site) and also because when you have a 16:9 image you can still fit some something on top and bottom of it (ie play controls in a movie, edit controls in a picture, apple menu bar in regular use)
  • Reply 119 of 853
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

I am surprised they offer a wireless keyboard and mouse to the iMac ? wouldn't it be better for the environment to minimize the use of batteries and have a wired keyboard and wired magic mouse?

It would be unless you're a hypocrite. Al Gore anyone?
  • Reply 120 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Geez, you guys are a tough crowd.

You got the quad core and the Nehelem (whatever) processor and the larger led backlit screen and a nice new magic mouse and all you do is complain about the blu ray. Can't you get a hang on external blu ray and use that?

I'm going to buy one this very minute. Even if it does have the glossy screen that I didn't want. If Jobs and Ive built it this way, it must be right for ME.

There's no tough crown, just TekSpud vomitting all over the thread. That was an amazing number of negative posts on one thread from one user. Regarding the glossy thing, remember when all monitors had glass fronts becuase they were CRTs? There were anti-glare filters. Someone must make something like that today. If not, it could be a business opportunity if there are really that many people that have a problem with glossy.