Apple unveils new multi-touch $69 Bluetooth Magic Mouse

Comments

• Reply 21 of 134
    Aargh, but you still have to move the mouse! That's no good, it's not what I want at all. Multitouch, sure. Bluetooth, definitely. But not another stupid mouse! What's needed is a multitouch Bluetooth trackpad!

I have a Mac Mini connected to my main TV in the lounge and use it with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. If you've ever tried using a mouse on your kneee or the armrest of a sofa you'll know that ergonomically, that just sucks!
  • Reply 22 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Woohoo! I'll be ordering 3 or 4 of these then.

So you're going to stock up for the virtually inevitable moment when the mouse stops working correctly?

After the horror that the Mighty Mouse was, I will never buy another Apple mouse. This thing looks in no way ergonomic, just like the MM. And I much prefer to have 2 physical buttons than having to continue dealing with having to lift my fingers off the mouse to right-click (actually I prefer more buttons but with Apple 2 would be a good start). Wish Apple would realize it's almost 2010 and people have long since dealt with the "complexity" of a two button mouse. I mean if they can't deal with two buttons, they're even more screwed trying to wrap their brains around multi-touch
  • Reply 23 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

They gave us page turning, but no click and hold.

sigh...

If you couldn't click and hold it wouldn't work as a mouse. I'm sure you can click and hold.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhowarth View Post

Aargh, but you still have to move the mouse! That's no good, it's not what I want at all. Multitouch, sure. Bluetooth, definitely. But not another stupid mouse! What's needed is a multitouch Bluetooth trackpad!

I have a Mac Mini connected to my main TV in the lounge and use it with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. If you've ever tried using a mouse on your kneee or the armrest of a sofa you'll know that ergonomically, that just sucks!

The iphone already works like a trackpad (with software) quite well, so I think that's one of the functions of the coming tablet.
  • Reply 24 of 134
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ediedi View Post

In the presentation video it seemed that in order to achieve a single (simple) click, the guy lifts his finger off the mouse first.

If that proves to be the case, then it's a major no-no.

Anyone knows how this actually works?

Otherwise, the mouse is pretty intriguing (in a good way).

With the Mighty Mouse, you do not have to lift any fingers to do a simple left click. I suspect that will not change with the new mouse. You only have to lift fingers for a right click. The video suggests that there is software that determines what you are trying to do. I suspect it could sense which side was pressed regardless of the number of fingers on the mouse. It is conceivable that no fingers will need to be lifted. Either way, I have gotten quite used to the mighty mouse so it will not be a problem for me.
  • Reply 25 of 134
    Theres A flick For that!

Yes.. page back gesture is there.. def check out the video on Apples website
  • Reply 26 of 134
    I'm going to reserve judgement until actual user reports start coming in. Hopefully Apple spent some time user-testing the new mouse, but they also released the "Mighty" Mouse. How well does it handle the user resting their fingers on the body of the mouse? I'm going to guess you have to pick up all your fingers to perform a click? Or is there a sensitivity setting? How much strain is produced swiping & wiggling your fingers around on the touch surface?

I'm still a fan of my big, clunky, old Kensington Turbo Mouse trackball. Wacom's Pen & Touch is very tempting to check out, too; if I had $100 to throw away on it.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 27 of 134
    This is going to be amazing for App Developers!

I guarantee you'll be able to use this for the simulator. Incredible...
  • Reply 28 of 134
    Looks weird. I suppose I will get used to it.
  • Reply 29 of 134
    can somebody explain how to start exposé with this new mouse?
  • Reply 30 of 134
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by naconazov View Post

can somebody explain how to start exposé with this new mouse?

I am hoping they implement three and four finger gestures like they have on the MBP. For the most part, I use hotcorners.
  • Reply 31 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Hell yeah. My local Apple store doesn't have it in stock and they also weren't aware of the magic mouse. She tried to argue with me in regards to it being the mighty mouse.

Why do people expect the retail stores to know everything the second something new comes out? It's NEW! They don't have it yet! See them next week. They're job doesn't stipulate that they have to check the web every 10 minutes, like you, for new products.
  • Reply 32 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhowarth View Post

What's needed is a multitouch Bluetooth trackpad

Agreed. What I really want is a Bluetooth keyboard+trackpad so I can control my media center Mini with a single piece sitting on my lap.
  • Reply 33 of 134
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    And how do you get the middle mouse button click with this?

And I hope you don't have to lift your finger off the surface of the mouse then touch it again to make it work, mighty mouse style.
  • Reply 34 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

With the Mighty Mouse, you do not have to lift any fingers to do a simple left click. I suspect that will not change with the new mouse. You only have to lift fingers for a right click. The video suggests that there is software that determines what you are trying to do. I suspect it could sense which side was pressed regardless of the number of fingers on the mouse. It is conceivable that no fingers will need to be lifted. Either way, I have gotten quite used to the mighty mouse so it will not be a problem for me.

It would seem logical, yes (the no lifting for left click).

And if they also implemented the right click without lifting the finger, this mouse is genius.
  • Reply 35 of 134
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Awesome. Already ordered, as I've been needing a new mouse desperately since Snow Leopard, and this is about the coolest fucking one I've ever seen.

Way to go, Apple. Muchas Gracias
  • Reply 36 of 134
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Told you the Mighty Mouse sucks.
  • Reply 37 of 134
    I've been waiting for a new mouse from apple for some time.. recently tried my hand at a trackball. DT225 from CH products.. After using the wireless mighty mouse exclusively for 2 years, I really appreciated and utilized all 4 buttons. Moving to a 3 button trackball, I decided I could do without the fourth botton, but three was a minimum.

Finally, a new mouse comes out from Apple, but it only has 2 buttons? Apple went from 4 to 2?

I know there is multi-touch, but how will multi-touch launch spaces? I've really come to love Spaces, but I don't see a two button mouse helping me here.

On the good side, the scroll ball is gone, and the mouse will last much longer. No more complete tear downs of the mouse to get scroll working again. Just a simple wipe, and I'm sure it'll look as good as new.

As for Apple's keyboards, joke... HHKB Pro 2 FTW here.
  • Reply 38 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

I know that Steve Jobs is the largest shareholder at Disney, but did anyone else think of Disney/Magic Kingdom/Mickey Mouse when they read "Magic Mouse"?

I hope they cleared it with Disney.

No, but I definitely thought, "why didn't they name it iMouse?"

Magic Mouse? Really? \

Sinisterly cool design though, good job Apple!
  • Reply 39 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chuckading View Post

I've been waiting for a new mouse from apple for some time.. recently tried my hand at a trackball. DT225 from CH products.. After using the wireless mighty mouse exclusively for 2 years, I really appreciated and utilized all 4 buttons. Moving to a 3 button trackball, I decided I could do without the fourth botton, but three was a minimum.

Finally, a new mouse comes out from Apple, but it only has 2 buttons? Apple went from 4 to 2?

I know there is multi-touch, but how will multi-touch launch spaces? I've really come to love Spaces, but I don't see a two button mouse helping me here.

On the good side, the scroll ball is gone, and the mouse will last much longer. No more complete tear downs of the mouse to get scroll working again. Just a simple wipe, and I'm sure it'll look as good as new.

As for Apple's keyboards, joke... HHKB Pro 2 FTW here.

I'd be willing to bet Magic Mouse will also take gesture input, so you could conceivably draw a "Z" on the mouse and go instantly into Spaces if you want. This is a major, MAJOR slap at Microsoft since they just "demoed" their multi-touch mice weeks ago. The hits keep rolling at Apple!
  • Reply 40 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

Why do people expect the retail stores to know everything the second something new comes out? It's NEW! They don't have it yet! See them next week. They're job doesn't stipulate that they have to check the web every 10 minutes, like you, for new products.

I can understand the sales staff on the floor not being made aware, but surely management must be aware of their own products because they know they are going to get phone calls. One of management's job is to get information on all new and current products from their superiors so their staff can be informed as well. It's not like I called them at 10 am central asking for information one hour before we all found out about it. I gave them time to be made aware of new products and if they don't know, that's all on their superiors not relaying the proper information.