Apple unveils new iMacs with 21.5 and 27-inch displays

Comments

• Reply 141 of 853
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

I didn't know Mac users had a choice of getting Blu-ray installed.

Sitting at a computer is about the only time I'm close enough to an HD display that I can tell the difference in picture quality that comes with Blu-ray and 1080p. The 60" family room HDTV isn't nearly close enough from any seat to distinguish between 720p and 1080p.

Why was Blu-ray omitted? As I understand it, the "bag of hurt" no longer exists. Maybe it's because iTMS HD movies would look pitiful compared to Blu-ray, when the user sits at a normal 20" viewing distance from their computer display.

Because it isn't "free" by any stretch. With Blu-ray your system has to account for 3 or more forms of DRM. AACS, BD+, ROM Mark and you have to support their Java mess of a menu system.

We've gone of this ad infinitum on these boards. If 720p was all that bad then JVC wouldn't be selling JVC Pro cams that record at that resolution. I think people are dreaming if they think they see a big difference between 720 and 180 on a 32" or less HDTV
  • Reply 142 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

not anymore

Dell is shipping PC's with Windows 7 now and most of them they have Blu Ray as standard

Yeah but you are still paying a higher price in the end for it. To me standard just mean they don't give you the option and up the price.
  • Reply 143 of 853
    Just a quick question guys, the new 27' seems pretty good. but i'm debating between the \t 3.06GHz dual core or the i5 quad. if i dont do much video editing or finalcut stuff. would I see a noticeble difference? Same question with the lesser video card. I tried the old imac 2.66 dual core, and it seemed fine, i just dunno if dualcore will become obsolete soon, cuz gonna be a long term investment, i just dont want new programs to come up that runs poorly on a dual core
  • Reply 144 of 853
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Dell is shipping PC's with Windows 7 now and most of them they have Blu Ray as standard

Are those one there more expensive lines, which they don?t sell many of? With Dell losing money and marketshare so quickly including Blu-ray drives as standard smells of desperation. If it were HP it would be a little different.
  • Reply 145 of 853
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Yes, I want Blue Ray so that 1) the hardware will be riddled with DRM negatively effecting performance of the whole system even when not using Blue Ray, 2) I have to pay more to burn disks, 3) I can't rip disks, 4) backward Blue Ray compatibility becomes an issue in the future, and 5) I can pay more for less.

The reality is the little bit of benefit Blue Ray has is far over ridden by the draw backs. Sony, the same one that likes to put hidden DRM on systems without permission, designed the system. What more do I need to say. If you want Blue Ray, buy a third party player which won't hamper over all performance.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Yep, pretty damn lame. They're not cheaper, they're not thinner, they've got gorgeous 16:9 screens but no Blu-Ray.

• Reply 146 of 853
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Brilliant move by Apple to come out with some pretty substantial hardware updates this week.

I think they just stole some of Microsoft's thunder for the Win 7 release on the 22nd.

Yeah, yeah, Windows 7 is coming out. But I wanna see the new iMacs.
  • Reply 147 of 853
    Is Apple stupid where is E-SATA coonection I have been waiting for.
  • Reply 148 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

No worries extremeskater I wasn't attempting to refute anything in your post. In fact I agree and that's coming from a guy with both HD DVD and Blu-ray media. Personally I'm moving away from collecting media on physical discs. I've thrown away my CD jewel boxes in lieu of higher density storage and I could see myself doing something similar with my DVDs as well.

I will admit I am a person that likes to have a dvd in my hand as a backup. I hate just backing up to a drive because I can still see that failing at some point. Even downloading full HD content I would still love to back it up to a blu ray disk but the cost of doing that is stupid you might was well just go out and buy the movie on blu ray.
  • Reply 149 of 853
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    An i7 at last, but the price and lack of BD is comical. £2200 ($3600) for a decent spec one in the UK, and why must one have a screen the size of a football field just to get a quad core CPU?

I guess the iMac will remain a curiosity which few actually buy.
  • Reply 150 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KM37 View Post

Just a quick question guys, the new 27' seems pretty good. but i'm debating between the \t 3.06GHz dual core or the i5 quad. if i dont do much video editing or finalcut stuff. would I see a noticeble difference? Same question with the lesser video card. I tried the old imac 2.66 dual core, and it seemed fine, i just dunno if dualcore will become obsolete soon, cuz gonna be a long term investment, i just dont want new programs to come up that runs poorly on a dual core

If you're not doing a lot of applications that are benefitting from Quad Core (like Final Cut ) then you're better off with higher mgz dual core processing because it'll take apps that aren't leveraging multiple threads heavily and run them faster.
  • Reply 151 of 853
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Yeah thats what I was trying to say. Digital downloading is really the way people want to go these days. Even for home entertainment I believe most people can't tell the difference between blu ray and standard dvd format. Also I still feel that the US overall is behind on true HD quality programming compared to other parts of the world, not to mention cost.

I don?t agree with people not being able to tell the difference. I?d say that most people just don?t care. DVDs are still good enough for the majority and digital downloads will win over Blu-ray because it?s more convenient.
  • Reply 152 of 853
    I think they discontinued them! now it's either big (21) or HUGE (27). That's crazy. They should keep the 24" around..
  • Reply 153 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It would be unless you're a hypocrite. Al Gore anyone?

Or you use rechargeable batteries. Techstud anyone?
  • Reply 154 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I will admit I am a person that likes to have a dvd in my hand as a backup. I hate just backing up to a drive because I can still see that failing at some point. Even downloading full HD content I would still love to back it up to a blu ray disk but the cost of doing that is stupid you might was well just go out and buy the movie on blu ray.

Same here...I can't get rid of my CDs or DVDs because they function as my backups but I'd love to move towards more digitization of my media for easier distribution and accesss. I expect that I'll have about 6 TB of storage to save whatever I need and I may have to archive to tape to keep things affordable LOL. It's still the cheapest.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

An i7 at last, but the price and lack of BD is comical. £2200 ($3600) for a decent spec one in the UK, and why must one have a screen the size of a football field just to get a quad core CPU?

I guess the iMac will remain a curiosity which few actually buy.

Probably because of surface area. The larger the casing becomes the more it can dissipate heat.
  • Reply 155 of 853
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    @humurchison - when are you going to update your Bloggity Blog?
  • Reply 156 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

What happened to the industrial look? The thinner? Couldn't they have made the whole face black at least with a silver Apple. COme on!!!

Complain, complain, complain...
  • Reply 157 of 853
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Is it true you have to pay the $20 for the Remote now? I mean not to buy it if you lost it, but just outright shell out for it?
  • Reply 158 of 853
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2009/10/...bution_rising/

Guys if you provide the link or links to backup your statement it prevents the "no it isn't, yes it is" responses.

Sorry about that - I was on my iPhone at lunch and didn't have the time. Here you go:

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/blu-ray-...ard-times/7098
  • Reply 159 of 853
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smurfman View Post

Complain, complain, complain...

I'm not the only one!!!
  • Reply 159 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by delizazam View Post

Is Apple stupid where is E-SATA coonection I have been waiting for.

You're joking right? eSATA has never been on Apple's roadmap.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru

@humurchison - when are you going to update your Bloggity Blog?

Honestly I'm done with Blogger. Way too much spam and not enough tools. Eventually I'm going to develop a wordpress site. I've been too lazy (never get anything done during football season lol)