Apple unveils new iMacs with 21.5 and 27-inch displays

Comments

• Reply 161 of 853
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Or you use rechargeable batteries. Techstud anyone?

In my MacBookPro? annoymouse - anyone?
  • Reply 162 of 853
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Because it isn't "free" by any stretch. With Blu-ray your system has to account for 3 or more forms of DRM. AACS, BD+, ROM Mark and you have to support their Java mess of a menu system.

That's why we charges more for Blu-ray.

Quote:

If 720p was all that bad then JVC wouldn't be selling JVC Pro cams that record at that resolution. I think people are dreaming if they think they see a big difference between 720 and 180 on a 32" or less HDTV

I agree with you 100% as far as the family TV goes, but a computer display is generally viewed at a much closer distance.

I don't believe iTMS HD movies are even 720p. If you sit closer to a 1080p display than it's diagonal measure, you can see all the pixels and easily tell the difference between DVD, iTMS HD, 720p and 1080p (with the latter pair still being the most difficult to distinguish). How many avenues do consumers have for getting 720p+ material for their Mac? Blu-ray would open up a nice option, even if Blu-ray was only 720p.
  • Reply 163 of 853
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are those one there more expensive lines, which they don’t sell many of? With Dell losing money and marketshare so quickly including Blu-ray drives as standard smells of desperation. If it were HP it would be a little different.

i thought i saw it as standard, but now i'm seeing it as a $100 option. Hard to tell with Dell since they have so many models for every niche and it's a complete build to order unlike Apple. either way if i was buying a desktop, i would probably choose apple over a dell now. for laptops it's a toss up but we'll probably see new MBP's before the end of the year

for a computer i don't really care about blu-ray since i don't plan on watching movies on it
  • Reply 164 of 853
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elmsley View Post

I think they discontinued them! now it's either big (21) or HUGE (27). That's crazy. They should keep the 24" around..

I actually second that, and I hope they will for the education consumer.
  • Reply 165 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I think this is an example of Apple doing something really interesting and not really knowing quite what they have (like the iPhone). Imagine these with a TV tuner, optional Blu-Ray and a couple of HDMI inputs.

I have been for the last year!!!!!!!1
  • Reply 166 of 853
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by belunos View Post

Those prices are actually pretty good.. I was expecting over 2k for the 27" imac

Considering what a good HDTV costs in that size I don't think the prices are all that bad. They could be better of course but considering this is Apple they could be a lot worst. The i5 at almost 2grand isn't really that bad. It is unfortunate though that they keep that processor out of the smaller screen model.

I suspect this is where Apple expects to see lower margins. The machines just have enough extra to impact that.

Dave
  • Reply 167 of 853
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smurfman View Post

Complain, complain, complain...

Seriously! They add desktop-class CPUs with higher TDPs and he complains that it’s not as thin as he wanted. Of course, if they made it thinner he’d be complaining that they stuck with notebook-class CPUs. I guess he thinks Apple can perform magic tricks and summon TARDIS technology at will.
  • Reply 168 of 853
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Why was Blu-ray omitted? As I understand it, the "bag of hurt" no longer exists. Maybe it's because iTMS HD movies would look pitiful compared to Blu-ray, when the user sits at a normal 20" viewing distance from their computer display.

;-) that, and the fact that BR is niche. I honestly think BR are pretty much DOA as far as the general public goes. When BR is the only option out there Macs may include it, but my feeling is that by that time optical media will be as common as tape drives.
  • Reply 169 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

The glossy screen on my iPod touch drives me crazy. I can't imagine having to deal with 27" of gloss.

You can hang it on a wall for your wife to look into. BTW do you think there will be a screen protector type deal, those kinda make the iPhone's screen look matte, so it could be a solution.
  • Reply 170 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

They don't need to be cheaper - they're better! DUH! These are gorgeous and will sell like CRAZY!

So go buy me one, cause I ain't spendin'.
  • Reply 171 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Seriously! they add desktop-class CPUs with higher TDPS and he complains that it’s not as thin as he wanted. Of course, if they made it thinner he’d be complaining that they stuck with notebook-class CPUs. I guess he thinks Apple can perform magic tricks and summon TARDIS technology at will.

Blu-ray is a magic trick besides a bag of hurt? Thank you for that enlightenment.
  • Reply 172 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

The Core i7 has hyper threading, so it should appear as 8 cores, but I don't know if Snow Leopard uses this..

Both Leopard and Snow Leopard (since 10.5.7) fully support the Nehalem architecture including HT. A core i7 shows up as four physical cores and 8 logical.
  • Reply 173 of 853
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

;-) that, and the fact that BR is niche. I honestly think BR are pretty much DOA as far as the general public goes. When BR is the only option out there Macs may include it, but my feeling is that by that time optical media will be as common as tape drives.

In true Apple form they will probably add Blu-ray AACS support to OS X after they have completely beaten it in the living room. That isn?t going to happen for awhile.
  • Reply 174 of 853
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That is blatantly wrong and false.

Streaming growing faster than Blu-Ray.

DVD sales plummeting.
  • Reply 175 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I will admit I am a person that likes to have a dvd in my hand as a backup. I hate just backing up to a drive because I can still see that failing at some point. Even downloading full HD content I would still love to back it up to a blu ray disk but the cost of doing that is stupid you might was well just go out and buy the movie on blu ray.

I back up all of my digital content onto a 3TB, 4 disk RAID 5 array in a Promise file server. The chances of losing the primary disk copy and the RAID at the same time are pretty small. Basically my house burning down, which would destroy CDs and DVDs too.
  • Reply 176 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

So why not do a tad better, and ask for 16:12.....? (But don't divide by 4 )

Haven't really though about that... what an awesome format Yea i guess it is a preference thing, maybe they should switch between the two every year.
  • Reply 177 of 853
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

In my MacBookPro? annoymouse - anyone?

Your MacBook Pro already has a rechargeable battery.

You should get an EEG to make sure you have brain function. It might be time to pull the cord on you.
  • Reply 178 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

The glossy screen on my iPod touch drives me crazy. I can't imagine having to deal with 27" of gloss.

And the larger the gloss the more crazy you will get- I guarantee it.

Just ask solipism - he uses a 24 glossy everday. Can't you tell?
  • Reply 179 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Your MacBook Pro already has a rechargeable battery.

You should get an EEG to make sure you have brain function. It might be time to pull the cord on you.

Oh i thought you said replaceable- I was walking down the street. Oh well - one or the other.
  • Reply 180 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

women hate wires more than they like the environment

i'll take wireless and batteries over the wire mess i have on my computer desk anyday

The environment plays no part in my intense hatred of buying batteries for products that shouldn't need them. Wires are cheap, secure and reliable.

My wife hates wires, but I think she's justified given how many we've got.

- old AthlonXP PC with wired KB/mouse/display/speakers, Ethernet

- kids' G4 tower with wired KB/mouse/display/speakers, Ethernet

- Intel mini with wired KB/trackball/mouse/display/speakers, Ethernet, 5 external hard drive cases, USB hub

- USB printer/scanner

- network laser printer

- AirPort Extreme and 10/100 switch tying everything together

- extra Ethernet cable and mag-safe power adapter for MacBook Pro that I bring home from work

- cable modem

- cordless telephone charging base

I have two 8-outlet and one 7-outlet surge protectors fully utilized. One of the external hard drives doesn't have anywhere to plug in so I swap power cables when I need to access it.