Apple unveils new iMacs with 21.5 and 27-inch displays

Comments

• Reply 181 of 853
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I actually second that, and I hope they will for the education consumer.

They have.
  • Reply 183 of 853
    km37km37 Posts: 8member
    I think im gonna rely on the new imac to watch a lot of movies, from dvds or online places. and it seems now possible to eventually connect a wii to the imac from the display port. So with that in mind, should I be concerned between ATI 4670 or ATI 4850 for the graphic card, i mean, i might be a computer illiterate...but does the graphic card kick in for the smoothness and quality of the movies/outside source games?
  • Reply 184 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Seriously! they add desktop-class CPUs with higher TDPS and he complains that it?s not as thin as he wanted. Of course, if they made it thinner he?d be complaining that they stuck with notebook-class CPUs. I guess he thinks Apple can perform magic tricks and summon TARDIS technology at will.

LOL!

Yeah, I think these upgrades are really nice (not perfect mind you, but very nice)! I'm seriously considering 2 of the i7's along with a Mac Mini server for my new 3D Visualization company (http://studiothought.com).

I really want 16-core Mac Pros but don't quite have the budget for that right now (maybe by the time the 16-core Mac Pro is released next year, I'll have the $$).
  • Reply 185 of 853
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

In true Apple form they will probably add Blu-ray AACS support to OS X after they have completely beaten it in the living room. That isn?t going to happen for awhile.

With that new MobileMe sync patent that Apple's working on it's clear that Apple's moving towards a relatively seamless multimedia enviroment where your content follows you around on multiple devices. The movie industry and the music industry just wants to ship boxes. Apple will continue to have to pull them, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century.

Blu-ray is a product that appeals mostly to content providers with excessive DRM lockdowns and even Managed Copy which was promised prior to the formats launch as at least an option is still a ways off and requires new hardware.

Digital distribution is going to take the market and once the DRM gets worked out to allow for safe "space shifting" the idea of watching movies on a disc will seem so pedestrian much like listening to music on shiny round discs.

When the better moustrap is delivered ..people don't go back to the "old ways". I'm excited for what the future offers. Apple will have likely beaten Blu-ray before the BDA and many consumes even realize.
  • Reply 186 of 853
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    [QUOTE=KM37;1503464 now possible to eventually connect a wii to the imac from the display port. [/QUOTE]

Haha a WiiMac, be careful though, don't smash that 27' screen with the controller.
  • Reply 187 of 853
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Oh i thought you said replaceable- I was walking down the street. Oh well - one or the other.

Hmmm, some autonomous nerve and lower brain function, but apparently no evidence of cerebral activity.
  • Reply 188 of 853
    Quote:

NO matte- no purchase.

- you are a PC, buy a (non-mac)pc!
  • Reply 189 of 853
    Well, just played around with the BTO for the 27" iMac on Apple's site. Let's see what the best options add up to along with reasonable (but not all) accessories...

- iMac 27"

- Core i7 quad core 2.8GHz

- 16 GB 1066MHz DDR3 memory (still no 1333 yet???)

- 2TB HD

- Magic Mouse

- Wireless Keyboard

- Remote

- iWork '09

- One to One

- AppleCare

Grand total: $4,185.00

Best be saving up for awhile!
  • Reply 190 of 853
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by solipsism

In true Apple form they will probably add Blu-ray AACS support to OS X after they have completely beaten it in the living room. That isn’t going to happen for awhile.

You talk complete FUD. Apple didn't wait that long before introducing DVD drives in iMAcs. VHS was still the format of choice- you probably still watch video on one.

Also say what you will about Microsheet but at least they have Blu-ray support built into their OS even though they backed HD DVD.
  • Reply 191 of 853
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member

So you are using trends shown in Netflix to be representative of the entire industry? Of course streaming works well for Netflix which is an unlimited rental service. If you want to watch a movie now, are you going to stream it now or wait for the Blu-ray to arrive in the mail? Trends in Netflix don't account for people that go to a rental store and rent movies or people that like to purchase and own their movies. Furthermore, Netflix is US only.

This is very similar to CD's. Downloading, streaming and physical media will coexist for quite some time, with digital formats probably gaining market share at a slightly faster rate than with music due to more people interested in only watching the movie once.
  • Reply 192 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

It looks like the Core i7 option isn't as expensive as I expected. $200 over the cost of the Core i5, so $2200. Not good, but not terrible.

You're bitching about a $200 upgrade?

Tough crowd indeed. The Imac update is sweet. As far as the matte option not being there, not a big surprise. While I might like to see a matte option myself it's not going to prevent me from buying an Imac. It seems we've all forgotten that our CRT's were all glass and they worked fine.
  • Reply 193 of 853
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Well, just played around with the BTO for the 27" iMac on Apple's site. Let's see what the best options add up to along with reasonable (but not all) accessories...

- iMac 27"

- Core i7 quad core 2.8GHz

- 16 GB 1066MHz DDR3 memory (still no 1333 yet???)

- 2TB HD

- Magic Mouse

- Wireless Keyboard

- Remote

- iWork '09

- One to One

- AppleCare

Grand total: $4,185.00

Best be saving up for awhile!

Go with the base RAM and see how much money you'd save upgrading it yourself.
  • Reply 194 of 853
    Deleted: The post above me says what I was going to say.
  • Reply 195 of 853
    Blu-ray will loose out to Digital Downloads...

The studios make more money from downloads:

No physical media to manufacture/distribute

More DRM

And everyone who wants to own has to buy a copy - no selling/trading it in or buying it used...
  • Reply 196 of 853
    What's with all of the Palm Pre ads on AppleInsider? I count 3 separate ones on this page alone.
  • Reply 197 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I'm starting to wonder if blu ray is even going to survive in the long run. I was reading today that overall DVD sales including Blu ray dropped 13.9%. They dropped another 13.5% the first six months of 2009. This happening while digital distribution keeps rising.

That same DEG report that you're reading from also indicated that the YTD Blu-ray sales are up 83% over last year. This far outpaces the 20 percent growth for digital distribution.

Don't believe everything you read in the tech press. Most of the writers are computer-centric and obsessed with streaming/online media. They will spin every little bit of news to create the impression that downloading and streaming have already taken over the home video market and that Blu-ray is doomed -- no matter what the market reality otherwise says. The fact that Blu-ray's growing at 4X the rate of digital distribution is something you'll never see many of them admit to.

Blu-ray's doing fine. Just because the adoption rate has been slightly slower than it was for the DVD (which just happened to be the most successful consumer electronics launch in history), doesn't mean that Blu-ray is dead in the water. This holiday season will see big markdowns on Blu-ray players, and that will likely spur sales like they did last year. Also, several of the big blockbuster releases will also get released over the next couple of months. Those too will spur Blu-ray sales. And it doesn't hurt that HDTV prices continue to tumble, and unit sales have actually held steady.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater

Everyone thought when HD-DVD died Blu Ray would jump and it hasn't, in fact numbers keep falling. Most people don't seem interested.

What numbers keep falling? Certainly not Blu-ray. Disc sales have increased. Player sales have increased. For many new releases, Blu-ray's market share already exceeds 20%.

The only numbers that have fallen have been for DVDs. And that's largely because the DVD format no longer has a huge backlog of eagerly anticipated catalog titles waiting to be released. It's pretty much new releases that now drive the DVD market, and sales for new titles have not slid nearly as much as they have for older titles. Basically, most of the older titles that people want on DVD have already come out, and the studios have drastically cut back on the special collector's editions on DVD. Those bonus features are now going to the Blu-ray versions.
  • Reply 198 of 853
    Quote:

I don?t agree with people not being able to tell the difference. I?d say that most people just don?t care. DVDs are still good enough for the majority and digital downloads will win over Blu-ray because it?s more convenient.

If history repeats itself, you are certainly correct. Image quality was superior on Beta, VHS was more convenient because of longer playing time on the tapes. Which one won? Assuming anyone on this thread is old enough to remember the first video format war.
  • Reply 199 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gkarris View Post

Blu-ray will loose out to Digital Downloads...

The studios make more money from downloads:

No physical media to manufacture/distribute

More DRM

And everyone who wants to own has to buy a copy - no selling/trading it in or buying it used...

In what year?
  • Reply 200 of 853
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

WRONG.

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/blu-ray-...ard-times/7098

Breathless stories of big gains for Blu-Ray are meaningless unless they account for a baseline. Since Blu-Ray was starting from pretty much nothing as of recently, it's not that impressive to cite percentage gains in shipments.

Meanwhile, the trend lines are clear: streaming and downloads are growing rapidly, while optical media are stagnant. Blu-Rays gains sound impressive until you note that the $500 million in Blu-Ray sales are a drop in the bucket compared to the overall home video market, with even direct view and downloads taking in $1.4 billion.