Apple quietly unveils new hardware remote

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Amidst a number of new product launches Tuesday, Apple also released a new aluminum remote that can be used with any Mac or iPod Universal Dock.

The new Apple Remote eschews the iPod shuffle-like buttons of the previous product. Instead, it has changed the circular controls, menu and play buttons to black. In addition, the play button has been moved from the center of the circle. It is now located just below it.

On the back of the aluminum enclosure is a new, easier battery access for replacing the device's power supply. The $19 hardware has a current ship time of two to four weeks.

Apple's product page states that the new remote is backward compatible with products that worked with the previous Apple Remote. It requires hardware introduced in 2005 or later that has a built-in infrared receiver, including Macs.

"The Apple Remote gives you total command of your music, photos, videos, and DVDs from anywhere in the room," Apple said. "It works with Front Row ?- a menu-based, full-screen interface ?- to make accessing the digital content on your Mac as simple as navigating your iPod. When you press the Menu button, your desktop fades and the sleek Front Row interface takes its place to give you control over your music in iTunes, your photos in iPhoto, the videos in your Movies folder, and your DVDs. Turn up the volume. Shuffle. Skip to the next chapter on your DVD. Play a slideshow, a home movie you made in iMovie, even a movie trailer."

The remote also works with an iPod or iPhone, if it is connected to an iPod Universal Dock.

"If you connect your iPod to a home stereo, powered speakers, or TV set, the Apple Remote lets you experience your songs, slideshows, and more from across the room," Apple said. "Plug your iPod into the Universal Dock and choose a playlist, slideshow, or video. Then sit back, relax, and enjoy. Ready to move on to the next song? No need to get up. Just press the Next button on the Apple Remote. Getting a call on your iPhone? Press Pause, then pick up where you left off."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    [quote] In addition, the play button has been moved from the center of the circle. It is now located just below it.[quote]

I use my remote with my entertainment center and I'd love for it to be cooler looking: If all else were equal I'd jump at an aluminum version. But, unless there is some really cool new feature button at the center of the donut, the pause/play placement is a serious F-up.

Also, while it may be so slick that it takes a while to figure out. The mechanism for changing batteries on the old white remote is very easy: push in the little dimple and a battery tray slides out. place a new battery on the tray and it slides and snaps into place. If there is a fault (and I think it's a feature), it's that the access to the battery is so well concealed it almost appears there is none-- much better than having a man hole cover.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    I was looking at the photo of this remote and I thought about the new supposed tablet... I can imagine it looking a lot like a larger version of this (with a touch screen of course). The edge design of this thing is very stricking... and since it is practically the only product released today that is actually visually "new" I wonder if this may be the new direction they may go??? just a thought anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    my mistake
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Interesting that there is no mention of the AppleTV in Apple's blurb of compatible hardware, though I'm sure the new remote is fully compatible with the AppleTV.

I just find it interesting that Apple chose to highlight Front Row compatibility and not highlight AppleTV compatibility. I think this says something about Apple's attitude toward the AppleTV, especially since they go out of their way to cite compatibility with iPod Docks and iMacs, etc. The absence of AppleTV I think is telling.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Omg i really like this - looks kinda like the ipod nano
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Does anyone have a list of the desktops/laptops that have the infrared receiver? Looking at the tech specs for the Mini and iMac on the Apple Store right now. Neither mention IR. What about MacBooks?
  • Reply 7 of 27
    But is it a clickwheel? I've been begging Apple of this for years now. Please be a clickwheel.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post

Does anyone have a list of the desktops/laptops that have the infrared receiver? Looking at the tech specs for the Mini and iMac on the Apple Store right now. Neither mention IR. What about MacBooks?

They all have an IR receiver, although I'm not entirely sure about the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Uh, sounds like a downgrade to me. Why move the play/pause button when it sits perfectly where it is?
  • Reply 10 of 27
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    So, does this do anything that the Apple Remote iPhone app doesn't do? (For a Mac, that is.)
  • Reply 11 of 27
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Unless that surface functioned as a click wheel, why move the play button? Now it's going to require looking down at the remote, just like all others, it looses it's edge now. What was cool about it was that you didn't have to stare at it to operate it, it felt natural.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Why is it so long when it only has so few buttons? Most remotes are unnecessarily large anyway.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    tummytummy Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Now it's going to require looking down at the remote, just like all others, it looses it's edge now. What was cool about it was that you didn't have to stare at it to operate it, it felt natural.

If you have to look to use a three button remote, you must be a moron. I can use my TV remote, which has 36 buttons without looking.

The new positioning of these buttons more easily demonstrates their relationships to "back" and "forward" within the menu structure of the Apple TV and Front Row.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kindwarrior View Post

Also, while it may be so slick that it takes a while to figure out. The mechanism for changing batteries on the old white remote is very easy: push in the little dimple and a battery tray slides out. place a new battery on the tray and it slides and snaps into place. If there is a fault (and I think it's a feature), it's that the access to the battery is so well concealed it almost appears there is none-- much better than having a man hole cover.

On mine, the dimple at the bottom doesn't work properly so I've never been able to get the tray out. Luckily the battery is still okay but I have no idea what I'll do when the battery runs out. Get a new remote?

Maybe the reason they changed the back was because the tray was less reliable? But I was surprised they moved the play button. Why did they not add a select button in its place?
  • Reply 15 of 27
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So, does this do anything that the Apple Remote iPhone app doesn't do? (For a Mac, that is.)

Moreover, does this do anything that the original remote didn't do? What's with all the specs and compatibility information if it's exactly the same but just with a new design?
  • Reply 16 of 27
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranum View Post

Interesting that there is no mention of the AppleTV in Apple's blurb of compatible hardware, though I'm sure the new remote is fully compatible with the AppleTV.

I just find it interesting that Apple chose to highlight Front Row compatibility and not highlight AppleTV compatibility. I think this says something about Apple's attitude toward the AppleTV, especially since they go out of their way to cite compatibility with iPod Docks and iMacs, etc. The absence of AppleTV I think is telling.

Personally, I believe they didn't mention it because they are getting ready to come out with a new AppleTV. Why get people to purchase a new remote when you can wait a few months and get them to purchase a new AppleTV?
  • Reply 17 of 27
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Moreover, does this do anything that the original remote didn't do? What's with all the specs and compatibility information if it's exactly the same but just with a new design?

What, you couldn't find anything to complain about so you complained about nothing? ... Didn't you used to write for Seinfeld?
  • Reply 18 of 27
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

What, you couldn't find anything to complain about so you complained about nothing? ... Didn't you used to write for Seinfeld?

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

• Reply 19 of 27
    gxcadgxcad Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Krone View Post

... and since it is practically the only product released today that is actually visually "new" I wonder if this may be the new direction they may go??? just a thought anyway.

I just found this to be funny on today of all days with all sorts of new designs.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    The new MacBook doesn't have an IR receiver anymore....

The new Mac mini and iMac have it though.