Inside the Magic Mouse

Comments

• Reply 21 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Does your current wireless mouse use solar panels?

It's wired ... no batteries to replace.
  • Reply 22 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel001 View Post

The thing that worries me most about the new mouse (without having used it yet) is that there appear to be no middle click?which some people would regard as almost essential.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by krankerz View Post

No middle click is a big deal for me too.

As a 3D artist, middle click is essential and excluding this from the mouse's functionality is a huge problem. Apple needs to address this soon.

Since when did middle click become the thing to have? Also, since when do 3D artists ever use the stock mouse with a computer?
  • Reply 23 of 140
    Good catch on the lack of middle click.

A few years ago that would've been a big deal-breaker for me, but these days I spend most of my time using the MacBook trackpad and I get along just fine without middle click. Even when I'm using my Mighty Mouse I often Command-click rather than middle click out of habit.
  • Reply 24 of 140
    Not sure why they could just make a mouse that works just like the mighty mouse, with a small tracking area instead of a scroll ball.. You'd still have all the buttons and scroll features. Simple, clean, elegant, Apple.

It just seems like Apple doesn't care about professionals anymore.

I never want a wireless mouse either. I know some people love them, but wired should always be an option.
  • Reply 25 of 140
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JSmith View Post

and now we need to keep spending money on batteries??

At least they're cheap and available everywhere... ...and you don't have to send your mouse to California.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

am i the only one who thinks this mouse is amazing? ergonomic low profile.. aesthetically perfect.. simple intuitive gestures.. as is typical for mac, it doesnt try to do everything (no superfluous features), but what it does it does perfectly. this mouse epitomizes why i love apple products.

as usual there are whiners afraid of change, who lack vision, and who like to complain, but this is always the case, even with apple's best products. i think apple hit a home run with this one, and same goes for the rest of the products released today IMHO.

I love Apple products in general, but have hated every mouse they've ever brought out. I couldn't get a Mighty Mouse to do anything I wanted it to.

On the other hand, I looove Apple trackpads, especially when I have to use a Windows TP for more than 10 seconds and start swearing. And the more I use TP's, Mac TP's that is, which are always where I want them to be, the less I like fumbling around for a mouse.

The most "innovative" thing to do IMHO would have been to offer an optional KB that included the current MBP TP! Also one less piece of desktop clutter, one less device with batt's to go dead.

Does any 3rd party offer such a thing?? Or could they even do so without violating Apple IP?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Sounds interesting but I think I'll test drive one before I buy. I didn't care for the mighty mouse so it might be the same deal here.

Anyone love the mighty mouse?

Hardly. See above.
  • Reply 26 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Superbass

Well, I respect Apple for swinging for the fences and trying to reinvent the wheel, but it's still a single-button mouse. The fact that "right clicking" is accomplished by having 2 fingers down worries me, since both my fingers are usually on the top of the mouse anyways. Having to lift my middle finger when I click to achieve "left click" doesn't really interest me at all.

After your edit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Well, I respect Apple for swinging for the fences and trying to reinvent the wheel, but it's still a single-button mouse. No center click is a drawback, and also sensitivity of the click surface might be dodgy for people with big hands when they're using the scrolling function (lots of unwanted clicks). Having to lift or move my hand around on the mouse to scroll, and use the keyboard to get more than 2 different click types doesn't interest me.

If you are going to change your original posting, have the decency to admit you were wrong in the first place.
  • Reply 27 of 140
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Can't wait to piv up one of these. Seems like exactly the mouse I've been waiting for, especially after experiencing the Wacom Bamboo Multifail trackpad.
  • Reply 28 of 140
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Sounds interesting but I think I'll test drive one before I buy. I didn't care for the mighty mouse so it might be the same deal here.

I do. Just sucks that the mini ball stops working well eventually. But this new mouse should be even better. My Air is the first laptop I've had doesn't make me want to plug in a mouse. Adding multi-touch to the mouse should be the best of both worlds.
  • Reply 29 of 140
    dypdyp Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

The most "innovative" thing to do IMHO would have been to offer an optional KB that included the current MBP TP! Also one less piece of desktop clutter, one less device with batt's to go dead.

Does any 3rd party offer such a thing?? Or could they even do so without violating Apple IP?

Been waiting for the same combo unit. BT keyboard with a touchpad. Search and searched but can't come up with one.
  • Reply 30 of 140
    mgzmgz Posts: 26member
    Quote:

An 8 button mouse isn't a keyboard replacement.

Needing one hand on the keyboard and one on the mouse to get right-click or centre-click functionality is ridiculous, not to mention needing to juggle the mouse around to scroll.

What are you talking about?

Right-click: click on the right side of the mouse, just like I do now on my "single-button" mighty mouse.

Scroll: scroll my finger down the center of the mouse, just like I do now on my mighty mouse, but without the physical ball that tends to get dirty.

Quote:

The mighty mouse was an attempt at being unique that resulted in epic fail

The epic fail here is you not understanding how these mice actually work.

The only thing I'm unsure of is the middle-click. I am hoping that it's adjustable so that clicking near the center of the mouse can be configured to act as 'third button' like I can now on the mighty mouse. It shouldn't be the default, but it should work, just as it does now on the mighty mouse.
  • Reply 31 of 140
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Lots of modern mouses have a dock and a rechargeable battery.

I'd be interested in the battery life of the bluetooth mouse vs. an RF one, though. My logitech is RF and gets 10-12 months per pair of batteries, and I never turn it off...

On the bright side, the apple mouse, keyboard and remote are now the only Apple products with user-replaceable batteries, so I guess we can consider ourselves lucky that that hasn't changed.

The reason I like Apple mouse is that I don't need a wireless dongle or recharging base. You just take it out of your laptop bag and turn it on and it start working right away. If you are concern about battery you can use rechargeable AA batteries available at Walmart.
  • Reply 32 of 140
    mgzmgz Posts: 26member
    Quote:

At least they're cheap and available everywhere... ...and you don't have to send your mouse to California.

The batteries are user-replaceable, and rechargeable batteries are cheap and available everywhere as well...

Quote:

I couldn't get a Mighty Mouse to do anything I wanted it to.

I'm curious, what can't you get a mighty mouse to do? I'm a programmer, and after giving the mouse a few days, I now prefer it. The only downside is the ball getting dirty, so I'm looking forward to this new mouse.

The might mouse has left, right, middle click, and scrolling to a fine degree (as long as the ball stays clean). What can't you get it to do?

Quote:

Apple is attempting to solve two problems with this mouse:

Lack of gestures when on a desktop computer, and dirty wheels/balls preventing smooth scrolling.
  • Reply 33 of 140
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

am i the only one who thinks this mouse is amazing? ergonomic low profile.. aesthetically perfect.. simple intuitive gestures.. as is typical for mac, it doesnt try to do everything (no superfluous features), but what it does it does perfectly. this mouse epitomizes why i love apple products.

as usual there are whiners afraid of change, who lack vision, and who like to complain, but this is always the case, even with apple's best products. i think apple hit a home run with this one, and same goes for the rest of the products released today IMHO.

I am sure you are right on all counts for the average user. However, I want to know if it is as capable of the same precise and accurate movement required on a 30" ACD doing detailed work as the wired USB one is. I love my wireless mouse but I always have to switch to a wired for work. I am really hoping this model will be up to the task.
  • Reply 34 of 140
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orion123 View Post

Yet another AppleInsider article taking forever to say what's obvious to everyone, and passing it off as "analysis." I doubt you actually used the mouse. I could have gleaned this from reading the reviews on Gizmodo and other places

You do a great job on rumors and wrapups, but leave the insight to Ars Technica and others.

Dang! did the wireless mouse crawl up your ass, or what!?
  • Reply 35 of 140
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    The main reason that I could never use the Mighty Mouse was that it had so much latency that it drove me nuts. I tried several units on a couple of machines, and they all had the same issue. I don't know if this is an inherent issue with Bluetooth, or if it had something to so with the design of the MM itself, but I am curious to see how the new unit compares. I am a bit surprised to see that nobody else has commented on this. I can't wait for the hands-on reviews to start coming in.
  • Reply 36 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel001 View Post

The thing that worries me most about the new mouse (without having used it yet) is that there appear to be no middle click?which some people would regard as almost essential.

Unless I'm missing something, it would also be difficult to add this functionality later as it lacks physical markings to indicate where the middle button would be (i.e. you could easily right click instead of middle click by mistake).

Yeah, I really scoured Apple's website for some more in-depth info on the mouse. I'm sure support documentation will be added eventually. But at this point, I'm perplexed that they would eliminate the optional click abilities of the old mouse. I really need to be able to activate Spaces from the mouse.\
  • Reply 37 of 140
    Quote:

I'm actually very comfortable with it. I've never had any roller ball troubles. If anything bothers me a little, it's that I prefer a shape that tapers a little narrower into the palm then the Mighty Mouse.
  • Reply 38 of 140
    I'm surprised they didn't add something like a 3-finger click to support Spaces or Dashboard, or even middle click. Certainly the hardware can detect when there are three fingers pressing down.
  • Reply 39 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrosmash View Post

I'm surprised they didn't add something like a 3-finger click to support Spaces or Dashboard, or even middle click. Certainly the hardware can detect when there are three fingers pressing down.

maybe they add them in the future if people whine enough? who knows if such thing could happen
  • Reply 40 of 140
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Looks like JONY Ive has F'd up the mouse yet once again. Now I agree with GAZOOBEE- he must be designing for SJ's spastic finger placement.