Inside the Magic Mouse

Comments

• Reply 61 of 140
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Looks like JONY Ive has F'd up the mouse yet once again. Now I agree with GAZOOBEE- he must be designing for SJ's spastic finger placement.

Look you little knob, don't mention me in your shitty posts if you are going to ascribe things to me that I never actually said. Mind your manners for once or I'll wash your mouth out with soap.
  • Reply 62 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emoeric87 View Post

These complaints are like when people complained when the arc lamp was invented because they couldn't understand where the gas fuel went, nor could they service it like their old street lamps.

MIddle-click complainers, listen up. I'm not a graphic designer, I don't work on a computer for a living in the slightest sense. But obviously if there are now gestures, you will be able to completely rearrange (if you want to) your entire work style. Who needs a middle click when you could just pinch, or swipe, or whatever you want. There are third-party programs that allow you to any number of interesting, simple to contortionist-like gestures.

If you don't want to rearrange your work style to include these new multi-touch gestures...... then don't buy the multi-touch mouse.

Problem solved.

um... you're babbling. ...incoherent (?)
  • Reply 63 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samanjj View Post

use hot corners and you can do that

Sure; that's always an option. I prefer a hot-key to a corner for my alternate method, because I inadvertently mouse the corner when I don't intend to; and that gets irritating.
  • Reply 64 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rnp1 View Post

Come on guys, just set it up with a hot corner for Expose'. I've never seen so many hard- to-pleasers!!!!! If I were Steve, I'd be perplexed! I'm left handed and adapted to the right click after all. Give it a chance! MY!

Dude, I missed that part in your post; did you actually say that you use your mouse, set up as a right handed user.

"I'm left handed and adapted to the right click"
  • Reply 65 of 140
    sorry double post?
  • Reply 66 of 140
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

It's obviously not a mouse for you if you own an 8-button mouse. Sorry but this mouse isn't supposed to replace mouses that act like keyboards.

This mouse is for people that don't expect to use more than two buttons and still want an easy way to scroll content in a window. It also won't have buttons and scrollwheels that will gum up over time or cracks and crevices that will harbor bacteria. Don't get me wrong, I love those kinds of mouses too...I also own an 8-button Logitech mouse. They're comfortable and utilitarian...but, man, the printed logo and the printed back and forward arrows on the thumb buttons are faded, the scrollwheel is gummed beyond repair and the edges of the buttons are filthy.

i do like my Logitech mouse, even if it has five extra buttons i've never used once in 3 years. seriously, i doubt if more than 10% of consumers use any more than two buttons and one scroll wheel. ok, maybe it's 15%.
  • Reply 67 of 140
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Without even reading a review??? Fanboy defined!

now, now, children - no reason to drop the f-bomb... \
  • Reply 68 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Look you little knob, don't mention me in your shitty posts if you are going to ascribe things to me that I never actually said. Mind your manners for once or I'll wash your mouth out with soap.

watch out Gazoobee, i called teckstud out for the instigating, negative troll that he is and he tattled on me to the admins. i get tired of the people who are clearly here for the sole purpose of starting arguments.

incidentally, this could be my last post. it was nice talking to all of you..
  • Reply 69 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel001 View Post

The thing that worries me most about the new mouse (without having used it yet) is that there appear to be no middle click?which some people would regard as almost essential.

Unless I'm missing something, it would also be difficult to add this functionality later as it lacks physical markings to indicate where the middle button would be (i.e. you could easily right click instead of middle click by mistake).

yeah. i'd miss that too, even though possibly exclusively for opening a link in a new tab in safari.

i wonder if a 'three fingered click' could be assigned to it...
  • Reply 70 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Sounds interesting but I think I'll test drive one before I buy. I didn't care for the mighty mouse so it might be the same deal here.

Anyone love the mighty mouse?

I do...I like the Mighty Mouse a lot! The wireless one never really worked right with my Macbook, but the wired full keyboard/Mighty Mouse combo has worked great for me! It now works just as good on my brand new shiny Macbook Pro! I have the full slim keyboard with Mighty Mouse combo (both USB) for my home office setup and the Bluetooth Mac keyboard and Microsoft Mouse for Mac in my work office. If I go to the Magic Mouse, I'd probably just transport that between offices and sell the wired Mighty Mouse. Center click is pretty big for me, however. That's a nice feature.
  • Reply 71 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Agree 100%!

Lack of left/right side buttons for Exposé is a complete dealbreaker for me. Its the one truly redeeming feature of the old Mighty Mouse (and is the reason I continue to use them).

funny how wildly people's preferences differ. those buttons are always the first thing i turn off after an install. your 'redeeming feature' is my 'touch of evil'.

i work with somebody who feels the way you do, and i can't ever quickly jump in on his computer because his use of the squeeze buttons and hot corner drive me up the wall! of course he gets just as irritated on my machine and thinks i'm a heretic for having both turned off on my machine (I prefer to look at it as 'old school'.)

i wonder if your workflow could be re-established through the surface of the mouse. if it can sense where your fingers are, would it technically be possible to assign 'button 4' to a 'left-right squeeze'?
  • Reply 72 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

this is a deal breaker for me

"That's a deal breaker ladies".

I don't know. I really do like my mighty mouse. Maybe I wash my hands more than some but I definitely don't want anything less useful than the current mouse. The "nipple" (rollerball) was temperamental when it got dirty but it's still a great mouse compared to the crap Apple mice of the past.

Let's see what happens when the Magic Mouse comes out and people start using it. B-Tooth is kinda laggy, the shape doesn't really look ergonomic at first glance, gestures are cool, it's a breeze to keep clean without the "nipple" and at first I thought; third button? who needs one/ and then I remembered I use it all the time in Color. Maybe the problems won't be problems at all and the perks will overshadow any drawbacks, we'll have to see.

But if the lack of a 3rd button and BT tracking are the "deal breakers" then it's pretty much just the pro's who lose out and most buy 3rd party mice anyway. Otherwise it looks like a great office mouse for sure. It is packaged with a consumer computer after all.

Hmmmm... Pro's get tablets?
  • Reply 73 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Sounds interesting but I think I'll test drive one before I buy. I didn't care for the mighty mouse so it might be the same deal here.

Anyone love the mighty mouse?

i do actually. i prefer the wired one - i find the bluetooth version just a touch to heavy, but maybe that's because i'm so used to my wired one.

i love the scroll ball - while it works. it has amazed and frustrated me that apple did not address the obvious problem with the inaccessible design of that nasty little dirt trap. i for one would have welcomed the return of the 'open-up-the-mouse-clean-the-rubber-ball' ritual of the adb era. it took a minute and always did the job. bringing a mighty mouse back to life from paralysis is more 'dark arts' than procedure - sometimes it takes a few tries and you're never sure how long it lasts.

i'd like to try this new mouse - i really can't judge a mouse from reading about it...

i do wish they had a wired option - i'm not a fan of buying batteries. when i plug a mouse in, i don't have to worry about keeping fresh batteries around. and they never seem to die when it's convenient.

also - my desktop didn't come with the bluetooth/airport kit and i seem to remember that apple doesn't offer it as an 'add-on-later'.
  • Reply 74 of 140
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Can the Magic Mouse tell when the user has it oriented off by 180 degrees?
  • Reply 75 of 140
    I did a review and dissection of the Mighty Mouse (it was defective anyway) when it was first released.

I took very detailed photographs and explained why the Mighty Mouse would fail.

It failed for those same exact reasons people echo today.

1: The scroll wheels will get clogged and impossible to clean without breaking the mouse open surgically.

2: The side clicks would be a pain to use, activating when you grab or move the mouse.

3: No real right click, having to lift the left finger first before using the right.

4: No real 360 degree scrolling, just left/right and up/down (which my left/right failed right off)

Now I must admit, reading the reviews of the latest Magic Mouse (very hippie) it seems Apple has really made a radical improvement for the better.

Apple could have avoided the whole abortion of the Mighty Mouse if it had people review the prospective mice (mouses?) before mass production. A mouse is a mouse, it comes with the machine, so it's not like a super trade secret, like China is going to copy it in five minutes and flood the market with clones sort of problem.

Now I see a problem with the average joe computer user freaking out that there is no cable to plug-in for the new keyboard or magic mouse, which is a security concern for some that their bluetooth keystrokes would be monitored by any bug planted in the room or even outside in the parking lot.

Then the problem with interference, and the fact is if your battery goes dead, so does your computer. If your having problems with your computer, anything wireless just makes it all that much harder to diagnoses because now you don't know if it's the mouse, the keyboard or the computer or interference or a dead battery and which ones. The reason being you can't easily verify with a wireless device if it's connected to the computer like a wired device is.

Battery terminal connections corrode and lose connections too. And another thing, bluetooth has to work properly BEFORE the computer boots, or we lose all our pre-boot key commands, like option boot, T boot and holding the mouse button down to eject a stuck disk and so on. I remember bluetooth only working correctly AFTER the OS has booted to insure user security needs etc. I had to use a wired keyboard and mouse to perform pre-boot commands. Perhaps this is not a problem with EFI Mac's.

I also wonder if bluetooth working without the OS being loaded is going to be a security concern, intercepted during pairing or something. Got to figure day after day of booting nearly the exact time everyday would give a hacker the opportunity to sniff out the encryption/pairing sequence and set up a "man in the middle attack" grabbing keyboard strokes and passwords.

Those Electronic Warfare techs the military uses are pretty darn good, and more of them are on the streets everyday with their free $60,000 government paid training.

Apple should have at least allowed the option to allow people to connect their keyboard and mouse with a wire for emergencies and to do pre-boot commands, at least for security and privacy concerns. Wireless anything is confusing to new users. I can see a lot of problems appearing for a lot of folks if the pairing process is not seamless and nearly effortless.

As a example, I have two PS3's and 2 wireless controllers which occasionally have to be connected physically to diagnose problems. Often to recharge as usual. So with no way to resort back to a wired connection, this could cause problems for people.

Another thing is to be seen if is the Apple keyboard firmware exploit still works or has that issue been resolved. If you don't know, if your Mac gets hacked either locally or via a network, a root-kit can be placed in nearly any recent Mac keyboard firmware that will survive a hard drive wipe. Very nasty.

I should get a Magic Mouse and do a review, however it might only work correctly after the OS had loaded on my slightly older and glorious matte screen MacBook Pro.

I would get a 27" iMac, but have to wait for the 27" anti-glare film to make it's appearance first.

And I really don't like not being able to open my machine, especially removing the hard drive before the geeks at the Apple Store copy all my music.

Apple should have taken the route of a rechargeable battery inside the keyboard and mouse with a wire to recharge or use if the battery goes dead or a defunct battery ruins the mouse/keyboard connections. Just like the PS3 controllers, then if people have a problem, they can quickly rule out the mouse and or keyboard by simply wiring them up.

At least they still could use their computers if the battery fails.
  • Reply 76 of 140
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

watch out Gazoobee, i called teckstud out for the instigating, negative troll that he is and he tattled on me to the admins. i get tired of the people who are clearly here for the sole purpose of starting arguments.

incidentally, this could be my last post. it was nice talking to all of you..

Yeah I know, he did that to me too. It's hard not to get mad when you have a jerk like him day in and day out getting his self esteem from insulting strangers.

Said it before, and will say it again. teckstud *has* to be related to someone at Apple Insider, it's the only explanation for how he gets away with what he does. I report him once in awhile for what can only be seen as crystal clear violations of the rules here, (personal attacks, insults, etc.), and he never even gets a warning as far as anyone knows. He posts many many times every single day of the week, so we'd know it even if he was banned for a day. He even posts on the thin Sunday stories where half the readership is not even around. He's a "negative posting" junkie or something. What do they call that? Hmmm... begins with a "TRO" I think.

Yet if you get mad enough to say one word back he reports you and then *you* get a warning almost instantly. It's an insane situation.

I've been on forums for many many years and while I am not the nicest person, I've never been banned, rarely get personal, and rarely get any complaints against me. If teckstud got a warning every time he "got personal" like I have, he would literally be getting a warning or two every day. And he quite obviously isn't. Or if he is, those warnings are not cumulative, and not working. How about some escalation moderators?

I'll make the moderators a deal. You can ban me for a week for making this post as long as you actually get rid of the jerk.

There should be some kind of interactive social rating system on forums. One person "getting personal" is just not the same as another person doing the same thing. It depends on so many things like reputation, provocation, etc. No one is a saint, and when you get a little demon like him poking people in the guts all day and all night even Ghandi would probably snap.
  • Reply 77 of 140
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It certainly looks very sleek. I wonder how long the battery lasts? I once had an infrared wireless mouse many moons ago but got rid of it due to how quick it went through batteries.

I do think they missed an opportunity in not having "pinch to zoom" though. That would have been sweet.
  • Reply 78 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Yeah I know, he did that to me too. It's hard not to get mad when you have a jerk like him day in and day out getting his self esteem from insulting strangers.

Said it before, and will say it again. teckstud *has* to be related to someone at Apple Insider, it's the only explanation for how he gets away with what he does. I report him once in awhile for what can only be seen as crystal clear violations of the rules here, (personal attacks, insults, etc.), and he never even gets a warning as far as anyone knows. He posts many many times every single day of the week, so we'd know it even if he was banned for a day. He even posts on the thin Sunday stories where half the readership is not even around. He's a "negative posting" junkie or something. What do they call that? Hmmm... begins with a "TRO" I think.

Yet if you get mad enough to say one word back he reports you and then *you* get a warning almost instantly. It's an insane situation.

I've been on forums for many many years and while I am not the nicest person, I've never been banned, rarely get personal, and rarely get any complaints against me. If teckstud got a warning every time he "got personal" like I have, he would literally be getting a warning or two every day. And he quite obviously isn't. Or if he is, those warnings are not cumulative, and not working. How about some escalation moderators?

I'll make the moderators a deal. You can ban me for a week for making this post as long as you actually get rid of the jerk.

There should be some kind of interactive social rating system on forums. One person "getting personal" is just not the same as another person doing the same thing. It depends on so many things like reputation, provocation, etc. No one is a saint, and when you get a little demon like him poking people in the guts all day and all night even Ghandi would probably snap.

its nice to know im not alone yeah, its unfortunate how one bad-apple/dbag (eg techstud, nonvendorfan..) can spoil the whole barrel. its even more unfortunate that they continue to do so, deliberately, without consequence. they are clearly not fans of apple, or even curious, and are only here to start fights and spread FUD. its not like we go to microsoft fan sites (if there are any) and point out how crappy and unoriginal their products are. whatever, they cant be like that for too long and not hate themselves deep down so last laugh is on them
  • Reply 79 of 140
    Quote:

How do you know APple's is any good? Did you eat one for dinner?

Err, because I've tried their track pad on their MacBookPro vs. the bad reviews and someone here mentioning that the Wacom Bamboo pad stinks?
  • Reply 80 of 140
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Removed