Inside the Magic Mouse

Comments

• Reply 81 of 140
    I really really like this - iPhone style controls on a mac! Perrrfict combination
  • Reply 82 of 140
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    I know it is needed for a Desktops, but... do we really need the new MM for laptops as long as now even the new white MB's TP can do all that stuff, even more?!

And btw: it's D@M expensive for a mouse with not even one button!!!
  • Reply 83 of 140
    trevctrevc Posts: 77member
    ... Windows drivers? ;-)
  • Reply 84 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In typical Apple fashion, the new Magic Mouse now only comes in one form: a wireless Bluetooth version. If you want a USB-attached version, the only option is the old Mighty Mouse, which has been renamed Apple Mouse to avoid conflict with another vendor's trademark claim on the former name.

And that's why I won't buy one. Sorry, Steve, but I don't want a battery-operated mouse. Batteries run out. Batteries are expensive. Charging rechargeables is an annoyance. I had wireless Mighty Mice and I got rid of them in favour of the wired.

Needs a re-think, alas.
  • Reply 85 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Sorry but this mouse isn't supposed to replace mouses that act like keyboards.

Isn't the plural of mouse => mice ?
  • Reply 86 of 140
    Is there Windows compatibility, since BootCamp is an option?
  • Reply 87 of 140
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emoeric87 View Post

if there are now gestures, you will be able to completely rearrange (if you want to) your entire work style. There are third-party programs that allow you to any number of interesting, simple to contortionist-like gestures.

I think you're right, 3rd party software will allow you to have custom gestures. Apple probably couldn't do this in case people screwed up the mouse so badly that they couldn't use the mouse to do basic things.

The fact you can switch the top corners for right-click depending on being right- or left-handed means you should be able to assign both corners and one of them being middle-click. Middle-clicks on mice usually suck anyway because they are part of the scroll-wheel so they are to stiff or they move the wheel.

I could see some modifications that would make this mouse very good though. If you can for example place very light stickers on it to mark out hot-zones, you could turn it into a numpad or a 20 button mouse for gaming. Think of having the top edge of the mouse with a 5x2 sticky paper grid with holes to tap the mouse. You could assign 5 weapons and 5 plasmids in Bioshock. Then use the lower surface for firing. Swipe left and right can be strafe.

With the right software, this could very well be a great mouse.
  • Reply 88 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nothlit View Post

My biggest problem with the Mighty Mouse (and presumably this mouse) is that in order to right click, you have to lift your left finger off the left side of the mouse, otherwise it registers as a left click. In the Mighty Mouse (and presumably the Magic Mouse) there is only one physical button, and it uses the touch-sensitive surface to detect whether there is a finger is on the left side of the mouse (left click), both sides (also left click), or right side only (right click). Having to lift the left finger to right click is awkward and I found it to be uncomfortable after a while. If you watch the new Magic Mouse video on the Apple site, it clearly shows the guy lifting his left finger off the mouse before right clicking.

Also, I think the lack of a middle click is a dealbreaker. You don't need to be a gamer or graphic designer or anything fancy to appreciate a middle click -- I middle click all the time while browsing the web to open links in a new tab. Without a middle click, that means I have to use the keyboard to command-click on links, which is also awkward and unnecessary.

Sadly, Engadget's hands-on confirms having to lift the left finger to achieve right click. What a waste of a beautiful design.

Third click is superfluous i think, but the single-button-type behaviour is not for me. It's obviously not possible to have two separate physical sides and surface gestures - so you have to choose. Are gestures on a mouse a gimmick or are they actually useful?
  • Reply 89 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

am i the only one who thinks this mouse is amazing? ergonomic low profile.. aesthetically perfect.. simple intuitive gestures.. as is typical for mac, it doesnt try to do everything (no superfluous features), but what it does it does perfectly. this mouse epitomizes why i love apple products.

as usual there are whiners afraid of change, who lack vision, and who like to complain, but this is always the case, even with apple's best products. i think apple hit a home run with this one, and same goes for the rest of the products released today IMHO.

Amen.
  • Reply 90 of 140
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Err, because I've tried their track pad on their MacBookPro vs. the bad reviews and someone here mentioning that the Wacom Bamboo pad stinks?

So the trackpad on a MBP signals to you that this mouse is awesome? Go figure.
  • Reply 91 of 140
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

So the trackpad on a MBP signals to you that this mouse is awesome? Go figure.

And what signals to you that it isn't?

BTW, it does have middle click/dashboard capability right?
  • Reply 92 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

they are clearly not fans of apple, or even curious, and are only here to start fights and spread FUD.

I wish people would stop using the word "FUD". It used to actually mean something, but now everyone uses it incorrectly. Anyone who speaks ill of Apple is now spreading FUD. A Microsoft exec makes a comment and they're spreading FUD. A tech review doesn't praise an Apple product and they're spreading FUD. Learn what the acronym means or quit using it.

Quote:

its not like we go to microsoft fan sites (if there are any) and point out how crappy and unoriginal their products are.

And how pathetic is it that you have to fall back on considering anyone who says anything negative about Apple a Microsoft fanboy. Fanboyism on either side is ridiculous. Apple makes some pretty crappy products (AppleTV, Mac Mini, Mighty Mouse) just like Microsoft. Get over it.
  • Reply 93 of 140
    bucetabuceta Posts: 141member
    I bought my magic mouse yesterday. I can't believe it is soooo good. Right now I am licking it. Tonight I am going to sleep with it.
  • Reply 94 of 140
    I was going to buy one of these for my Macbook, but it's way too expensive. At £50 it's almost as much as an iPod shuffle. Using a touchpad for 21.5 - 27" screens doesn't seem as practical as on a mouse though the option would be welcomed. I'd probably just get it with a (possible) future iMac purchase.

Slightly off-topic: I assume the video out means you can hook up games consoles to the 27" iMac without any problems?
  • Reply 95 of 140
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buceta View Post

I bought my magic mouse yesterday. I can't believe it is soooo good. Right now I am licking it. Tonight I am going to sleep with it.

Remember: it's not a gerbil.
  • Reply 96 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dyp View Post

Been waiting for the same combo unit. BT keyboard with a touchpad. Search and searched but can't come up with one.

I don't know what they are worth, but here are keyboards with trackpads: Touchpad Keyboards
  • Reply 97 of 140
    flick, flick, touch, touch, lol i can imagine the tv ad for this
  • Reply 98 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

Isn't the plural of mouse => mice ?

No. It is 'mouses'.

Much like the NHL team from Toronto is called the Toronto Maple 'Leafs', not 'Leaves' as some may say is more grammatically correct.

'Mouses' related to computer devices is perfectly acceptable as it is in this use, a proper noun.
  • Reply 99 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

It does not however currently support four-fingered Expose (up/down) or app switching (left/right) shortcuts, and pinch rotation or pinch zooming.

this is a deal breaker for me

4-fingered Expose. Wow, you want it to be as big as a mouse pad? Come on, this is so much better than the "mighty mouse" and people still complain. Jeez. There's something called a trackpad for a reason.
  • Reply 100 of 140
    trevctrevc Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evertype View Post

And that's why I won't buy one. Sorry, Steve, but I don't want a battery-operated mouse. Batteries run out. Batteries are expensive. Charging rechargeables is an annoyance. I had wireless Mighty Mice and I got rid of them in favour of the wired.

Needs a re-think, alas.

Typical for apple, it might 'wreck' the styling having the little chord coming out of it??

Typical also is the sizing. I wish that they made TWO sizes of the mouse as well. My hand cramps up once in a while with my mighty mouse but my Logitech at work which I use a LOT more is larger (particularly wider) and I NEVER have problems.

Regular and large would be nice, but then I guess it might be a nightmare for the average user buying one online asking the question, "What's the difference?"