MSNBC.COM states No speed bumped Power Macs

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.msnbc.com/news/681978.asp"; target="_blank">MSNBC Article</a>

[quote] The Cupertino, Calif.-based computer maker had been rumored to be planning a new Power Mac professional system with Power G4 ?Apollo? processors in excess of 1GHz. But sources close to Apple and the company?s chip supplier, Motorola, said the Apollo processors would not be available until sometime later in the first half of the year. <hr></blockquote>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    Sounds like someone trying to downplay Macworld to me.
  • Reply 2 of 75
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    I WANT TO BELIEVE, I REALLY DO!

I even sold my 867. I am just feeling that there will be no Power Mac news.
  • Reply 2 of 75
    We don't need Apollos to get to 1 GHz. The current chips will do it on the nextgen fab tech. HIPS6 or 7 or whatever on SOI.

SdC
  • Reply 2 of 75
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I believe we may not see Apollo Power Macs, but we will still see 1 GHz G4s.
  • Reply 5 of 75
    jayjay Posts: 27member
    I really hope this is not true. I've got the money to finally get a new machine on Monday, and if I've been waiting these past few weeks for what they've already got I'll be irked to say the least.
  • Reply 6 of 75
    I'd be really surprised if the the Powermacs didnt even make an apperance... I think that Steve would be overrun by angry pro-users shortly after the show.
  • Reply 7 of 75
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Well if true, and there are no new PowerMacs, I sure hope the new iMac or something is worth all the hype. One thing though, if the Apollo is not even ready what does that say for the G5? :eek:
  • Reply 7 of 75
    majukimajuki Posts: 114member
    Damn.
  • Reply 9 of 75
    blablablabla Posts: 185member
    [quote]Originally posted by suckfuldotcom:

<strong>We don't need Apollos to get to 1 GHz. The current chips will do it on the nextgen fab tech. HIPS6 or 7 or whatever on SOI.

SdC</strong><hr></blockquote>

Uhm? Thats the Apollo.. No big redesign.. Just better fab tech.
  • Reply 9 of 75
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Apollos won't be at MWSF because they'll be at MWNY in the Powerbooks.

G5s will be in the Powermacs on Monday

(I'm setting myself up for a big let down, aint I?)
  • Reply 11 of 75
    [quote]Originally posted by blabla:

<strong>

Uhm? Thats the Apollo.. No big redesign.. Just better fab tech.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, if that's true, then....fvck.

I'm still going with faster G4's up to a GHz, and DDRRAM, anyway.

(SdC is a little more crestfallen than a minute ago)

SdC

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: suckfuldotcom ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 75
    The story IS coming out of MSNBC........
  • Reply 13 of 75
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    What about these

Sub-GHz Apollo for PowerBook

and then....

GHz + G5 for PowerMac

??
  • Reply 14 of 75
    [quote]

The familiar iMac with its 15-inch cathode-ray tube (CRT) monitor also is not expected to disappear, but instead is expected to be updated somewhat and to remain the company?s entry-level machine.

<hr></blockquote>

I think they are full of it. What do you expect from something Microsoft controls?

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: apple.otaku ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 75
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    No speed bumped PowerMacs, yeah right, that's be an industry first...and last.

G-News
  • Reply 16 of 75
    Maybe it's true. Apple traditionally has not crammed too many updates into a single MacWorld. If they are introducing a new iMac, and a new mystery device, then this would be enough for an expo.

I bet the Powermacs don't get updated until WWDC, maybe even MWNY. LOL, it would be so typical of Apple....Wintels are over 2 GHz and Powermacs will be stuck under 1 GHz for a year.

Like someone else already noted, if the Apollo isn't ready, then what does that say about the G5?

Well since they are on parallel development tracks, I suppose the G5 might be ready before the Apollo. But with the look of things lately, Motorola has nothing new to offer Apple. Same old sh!t...Job must be pissed as hell.

I bet all the hype over this new product is intended to divert attention away from how pathetic the CPU situation is at Apple.
  • Reply 16 of 75
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Please. This site is run by NBC News, not Bill Gates. I doubt Gates has the time or cares at all about having a story put up on MSNBC.com stating there will be no Powermac speed bump. That would do nothing for MS.

Maybe Jobs plans on pulling a fast one like with the 500MHz debacle and the 667 & 733 debacle. On both occasions, Jobs announced a machine before it was even qualified for production.
  • Reply 18 of 75
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Count me in the "Consider the source" crowd.

I mean good Mac news from MSNbc ???? That's like asking for a World Class Steak in a Seafood house.
  • Reply 19 of 75
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Seybold '99 anyone?
  • Reply 20 of 75
    thentrothentro Posts: 231member
    MSNBC any one???