New 27" iMac designed to also work as a display

Comments

• Reply 101 of 222
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Have to hack EFI, that's where all the decisions are going to go down. It acts as a gatekeeper between OS calls and hardware. (any OS)

EFI and it's GUID partition are part of Trusted Computing which verifies what can be done with your machine. Internet access will be needed by EFI to verify keys/hardware etc so a server has to be set up too with cracks etc. (good going with that for long)

Should be interesting, I always wondered why Apple allowed full screen record in Snow Leopard. But with no OS running while HDCP content is playing...

I think some HDCP keys were cracked or something, because Sony bricked a lot of PS3 BluRays with a firmware update. A lawsuit is ongoing and perhaps this is why Apple may have pulled BluRays from the new iMac's too.

I'm thinking that the display port in bypasses the computer and treats the screen like a dumb monitor. That way, it can still be HDCP compliant without OS level "trusted computing" and copy protection hassles.

Not sure how you enable audio if you you're not doing it over the same cable, however, and it would be shockingly wrong if Apple went through the trouble of making this beautiful display device accessible to other devices without accounting for sound. Still holding out some hope that Apple has gotten around to implementing the audio spec. Seems odd that they didn't right out of the gate.
  • Reply 102 of 222
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm thinking that the display port in bypasses the computer and treats the screen like a dumb monitor. That way, it can still be HDCP compliant without OS level "trusted computing" and copy protection hassles.

Gizmodo has a 27” iMac in hand as of yesterday. Afraid that their first review might overlook this cool new feature and not knowing who else had the machines that would actually listen to readers requests, I asked them to check a few things. I got a swift reply stating that they my questions would be answered and that the review would be tomorrow or the next day.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by My Questions...

\t• Is there a physical button or is it done through OS X?

\t• Is it auto-sensed?

\t• Can the iMac be off while using it as HDTV/monitor?

\t• Can the DP input work with HDMI sources—Blu-ray players, DVRs, cable boxes, PS3—like the DP spec says it should?

\t• If HDMI sources work, does the DP port also send audio to the iMacs speakers or would an alternative method be required?

I didn’t ask specifically ask about HDCP, but I’m guessing that connecting to a Blu-ray player will likely occur if they test HDMI connectivity.

Quote:

Not sure how you enable audio if you you're not doing it over the same cable, however, and it would be shockingly wrong if Apple went through the trouble of making this beautiful display device accessible to other devices without accounting for sound. Still holding out some hope that Apple has gotten around to implementing the audio spec. Seems odd that they didn't right out of the gate.

A lame way you might be able to get audio through the speakers is through OS X, either by USB (if you want HQ or via the audio input/mic jack on the iMac. I’m hoping this is now how it will have to be setup.
  • Reply 103 of 222
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    The new iMac is a bag of hurt. Apple blew it by not providing the Blu-ray for a 16:9 HD monitor. And the messed up thing is you know its gonna arrive around April. So anyone who buys now is gonna be really pissed off then. And not only that but this gives Microsoft a clear line of attack. Consumers are buying Blu-rays up in droves by the zillions yet Apple ignores it as they have become a profit whore.
  • Reply 104 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Gizmodo has a 27” iMac in hand as of yesterday. Afraid that their first review might overlook this cool new feature and not knowing who else had the machines that would actually listen to readers requests, I asked them to check a few things. I got a swift reply stating that they my questions would be answered and that the review would be tomorrow or the next day.

Those poor people at Gizmodo-How else would it play using a blu-ray machine if it didn't bypass everything and went in straight as a monitor.? Duh?

Trying pugging you DVD player into your current iMac lately?

And this is yet another reason why it should have HDMI.
  • Reply 105 of 222
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I didn’t ask specifically ask about HDCP, but I’m guessing that connecting to a Blu-ray player will likely occur if they test HDMI connectivity.

Cool! I look forward to their report.

Quote:

lame way you might be able to get audio through the speakers is through OS X, either by USB (if you want HQ or via the audio input/mic jack on the iMac. I’m hoping this is now how it will have to be setup.

Yeah, but that would mean bypassing the OS for the screen display while still having to use it just for audio, which seems sort of insane. I guess their might be some way of just using the audio circuitry, but it sure does seem like it would be easier to just enable the audio spec.

That of course assumes that they are bypassing the OS to use the screen passively, but if they're not it doesn't seem likely that any Blu-ray input would ever work, without system level HDCP (which OS X doesn't do, AFAIK), even allowing for the right adapters.
  • Reply 106 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Complete and utter bullshit.

Not at all - just fact.
  • Reply 107 of 222
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Any many millions more than you and your millions do want it.

lol, where are these millions you speak of? Marching on the streets?! Blu-Ray is far, far from universal or ubiquitous.
  • Reply 108 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

lol, where are these millions you speak of? Marching on the streets?! Blu-Ray is far, far from universal or ubiquitous.

Right here-

11.7 million households and the holiday season hasn't even arrived:

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/blu-ray-...ard-times/7098

As you can see - much better than digital downloads and growing at an amazing rate.
  • Reply 109 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I

iMac sales are inevitably going to decline.The MBP is going to flourish for years to come.

i don't necessarily agree with your premiss.

If what we have (as a product mix) today, persists, then, likely, you are right on!

However, add a Tablet to the mix, and everything changes-- especially if the iMac and Tablet can connect to each-other as co-equals.

I believe that the laptop will become the niche payer for non-business users.

• Reply 110 of 222
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

I want the beautiful display without the extra computer.

LG will make one if Apple doesn't. Around $1K
  • Reply 111 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

If what we have (as a product mix) today, persists, then, likely, you are right on!

However, add a Tablet to the mix, and everything changes-- especially if the iMac and Tablet can connect to each-other as co-equals.

and college students- perfect for dorm living.
  • Reply 112 of 222
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    11.7 million out of 127 million households, 9% isn't really that much.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Right here-

11.7 million households and the holiday season hasn't even arrived:

• Reply 113 of 222
    bdblackbdblack Posts: 146member
    You can't plug DVI/HDMI devices into DisplayPort displays unless they support HDMI/DVI. The 24 inch Apple Cinema Display doesn't so I assume the iMac wont either.

DisplayPort is not compatible with DVI/HDMI. Yes, there are $10 adapters but they only work when your connecting a computer with a DisplayPort output to a DVI/HDMI display. This only works because the video card is capable of generating a DVI compliant signal. The DisplayPort connector is simply a passthrough. This does not work the other way around.

Also, even with the $200 adapter, it still wont work with the iMac because there is no conversion adapter capable of supporting the native resolution of that display. If the iMac is like any other apple display, it probably lacks a scaling processor so it can't accept 1080p or 720p signals. The iMac can operate at different resolutions internally but this is scaling done by the GPU, and will not support scaling though external input.

To plug something like a PS3 or any other DVI/HDMI device in, you would need a box that can convert the signal, AND scale it up to the displays native resolution. Some displays have this built in, Apple displays don't.
  • Reply 114 of 222
    This past quarter Apple sold 3 million Macs, 2.3 million notebooks, 700,000 desktops. At best Apple sold 500,000 iMacs. Its a clear trend.

I don't undertand what a tablet would do to help iMac sales.

Quote:

• Reply 115 of 222
    Quote:

This past quarter Apple sold 3 million Macs, 2.3 million notebooks, 700,000 desktops. At best Apple sold 500,000 iMacs. Its a clear trend.

I don't undertand what a tablet would do to help iMac sales.

One of the contributing factors to mac sales, is probably the fact that you practically need one to develop for iPhone.
  • Reply 116 of 222
    Quote:

A tablet that isn't a desktop replacement doesn't eliminate replacing the desktop with a laptop. It just makes it an accessory.

A tablet is a desktop replacement would replace both desktop and laptop but I'm going to bet it kills the desktop faster than it kills the laptop. Unless it's a convertible tablet in which case it is a laptop.

The biggest downside of a MBP + 30" ACD vs 27" iMac is cost. The $2199 i7 iMac is cheaper than the 17" MBP which is the only likely MBP to get the i7 and probably at the $2,799 price point the current 3.06 17" MBP costs. A 27" monitor with the same panel as the iMac will likely run you around $1000 if you buy it from LG or Dell. Probably $1400 from Apple.

For $4200 I can get a Mac Pro setup and a Dell 27" and have 8 core.

Good thing I already have a 30" ACD at work or I'd be hurting when I go to replace my current MBP.
  • Reply 117 of 222
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

11.7 million out of 127 million households, 9% isn't really that much.

Wasn't Blu-Ray released in '06? And does that figure also include the PS3?

droves?
  • Reply 118 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glockpop View Post

To use the full resolution of the display, you have to use a connection technology that supports that bandwidth, which minimally requires dual DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort.

Depends on if it will upscale. I'm guessing not but you never know.

Quote:

And of course, it appears that only one of those will actually work.

At 1920x1200 this works:

http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-DVI-to-...r-p-17859.html
  • Reply 119 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Depends on if it will upscale. I'm guessing not but you never know.

At 1920x1200 this works:

http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-DVI-to-...r-p-17859.html

you need that, and the separate HDMI scaler box if you want 720p or 1080p support.
  • Reply 120 of 222
    The primary advantage of what I'm talking about is the ability to disconnect the computer from the monitor/keyboard and take it with you.

Its true it costs more but with the MBP + ACD you get to have it both ways.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

The biggest downside of a MBP + 30" ACD vs 27" iMac is cost. The $2199 i7 iMac is cheaper than the 17" MBP which is the only likely MBP to get the i7 and probably at the $2,799 price point the current 3.06 17" MBP costs. A 27" monitor with the same panel as the iMac will likely run you around $1000 if you buy it from LG or Dell. Probably $1400 from Apple.

For $4200 I can get a Mac Pro setup and a Dell 27" and have 8 core.