New 27" iMac designed to also work as a display

Comments

• Reply 121 of 222
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Any many millions more than you and your millions do want it.

So-

You have to use a Blu-ray machine- connect via an HDMI and adaptor because APple refuses to provide what's universally used. Then you can't use a Blu-ray external drive as the OS doesn't have Blu-ray support yet? Therefor you have to buy Windows too? What a pain in the tuckus. How non-state of the art is that?

Roxio Toast has BR support.
  • Reply 122 of 222
    So does this mean I could use a new iMac as a TV replacement in my bedroom? I would need the ability to connect my TiVo HD via HDMI to the iMac. I know there are HDMI -> Mini Displayport adapters. Is there anything that would prevent this setup from working properly?

Does mini displayport carry audio as well like HDMI or only video? Would there be any DRM issues?

I want to keep the TiVo instead of using something like an El Gato because I need the cable-card functionality built into the TiVo.

If anyone knows, your assistance is greatly appreciated.
  • Reply 123 of 222
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The primary advantage of what I'm talking about is the ability to disconnect the computer from the monitor/keyboard and take it with you.

Its true it costs more but with the MBP + ACD you get to have it both ways.

Given the costs you're better off with the uber iMac and a MBP than the 30" ACD. $1800 for the ACD vs $2200 for the iMac? For $400 that's a no brainer.

The only thing that argues against a slate tablet killing notebooks is the lack of a keyboard when mobile. Hard to work on a document at the local Starbucks with just your finger for input on the display surface.
  • Reply 124 of 222
    bdblackbdblack Posts: 146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonr94102 View Post

So does this mean I could use a new iMac as a TV replacement in my bedroom? I would need the ability to connect my TiVo HD via HDMI to the iMac. I know there are HDMI -> Mini Displayport adapters. Is there anything that would prevent this setup from working properly?

Does mini displayport carry audio as well like HDMI or only video? Would there be any DRM issues?

I want to keep the TiVo instead of using something like an El Gato because I need the cable-card functionality built into the TiVo.

If anyone knows, your assistance is greatly appreciated.

You would need both these devices, and until someone tests that out on the iMac there is no way to know.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=801855
  • Reply 125 of 222
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

11.7 million out of 127 million households, 9% isn't really that much.

And what is the percentage of iMac users/households? \
  • Reply 126 of 222
    One of the best things about the new iMac is its back. Gone is the fugly Dell-looking,black, plasticy look that used to make us all cringe whenever we saw it in a store. Now its a gorgeous metal. Why would anybody want to hide that beautiful back mounted up against a wall?
  • Reply 127 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Roxio Toast has BR support.

For burning or watching or both?
  • Reply 128 of 222
    Quote:

This past quarter Apple sold 3 million Macs, 2.3 million notebooks, 700,000 desktops. At best Apple sold 500,000 iMacs. Its a clear trend.

I don't undertand what a tablet would do to help iMac sales.

500,00 iMacs vs how many Blu-rays sold?
  • Reply 129 of 222
    Quote:

This past quarter Apple sold 3 million Macs, 2.3 million notebooks, 700,000 desktops. At best Apple sold 500,000 iMacs. Its a clear trend.

I don't undertand what a tablet would do to help iMac sales.

"Tail wags dog"

• Reply 130 of 222
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I'm not talking about the current 30" ACD, I would not recommend that rip off to anyone. I'm talking about a hypothetical 30" LED ACD made to connect with the MBP.

I'm essentially saying their is no technological reason Apple could not develop such a monitor. Its about business strategy and getting a little further life out of the iMac.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Given the costs you're better off with the uber iMac and a MBP than the 30" ACD. $1800 for the ACD vs $2200 for the iMac? For $400 that's a no brainer.

• Reply 131 of 222
    I don't know, no one is saying specifically the number of BR players sold in the last quarter. That may be because it wouldn't be anything to brag about.

Quote:

500,00 iMacs vs how many Blu-rays sold?

• Reply 132 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

YES!

I'm totally against these smaller displays. Put black bars at the top or bottom when displaying 16:9 material if you must, but give us the pixels.

Nonsense. You're just using the 30" Cinema HD Display as somekind of basis. But anyone can play that game and say that the 30" Cinema HD Display is small compared to Product XYZ and that they are against smaller displays.

The 160x2560 "missing" pixels would be fun to have but definitely not if you consider that you're going to pay 100 dollars more for them but you're foregoing an entire computer that goes with it.
  • Reply 133 of 222
    The iMac isn't attempting to dominate the consumer home video market. Nor does it need to in order to survive.

Quote:

And what is the percentage of iMac users/households? \

• Reply 134 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Best to ignore it. You?ll try to reason with it, but only after it?s too late you?ll realize that you can?t reason with crazy. User CP » Edit Ignore List

I literally did not know there was an ignore list setting. Thank you.
  • Reply 135 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

i7 is very impressive. Further that is four cores supporting SMT so you can have eight (8) threads going at a time. Plus SMT is vastly improved over the previous implementations so it is seldom a negative. Overall I7 should be very pleasing.

Of course you question is open ended there are places where i7 might not be all that much better than the old chips. Also the new I series chips are at their best when Turbo Boost can kick in. On top of all that Apple has a very powerful new technology in SL that can leverage the multi core processor very effectively.

That tech is called Grand Central Dispatch or GCD and is described as a system wide thread pool. Once all of the software developers are in the pool individual apps should be able to better leverage hardware resources. Err there is a joke in that last sentence, the developers only have to get in the pool if they are in Vegas.

To put it another way going to i7 keeps the hardware viable for a longer period of time. Especially as software and the OS expands support for multi core processors.

Dave

Thanks Dave and all the others for your replies. I am very excited to make the change from PC to Mac. I plan on ordering tomorrow. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Bird24
  • Reply 136 of 222
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Have to hack EFI, that's where all the decisions are going to go down. It acts as a gatekeeper between OS calls and hardware. (any OS)

EFI and it's GUID partition are part of Trusted Computing which verifies what can be done with your machine. Internet access will be needed by EFI to verify keys/hardware etc so a server has to be set up too with cracks etc. (good going with that for long)

Should be interesting, I always wondered why Apple allowed full screen record in Snow Leopard. But with no OS running while HDCP content is playing...

I think some HDCP keys were cracked or something, because Sony bricked a lot of PS3 BluRays with a firmware update. A lawsuit is ongoing and perhaps this is why Apple may have pulled BluRays from the new iMac's too.

Great info! Thanks. And if the system design DOES allow for the main computing portion of the MOBO to access the stream of unmolested HD video that is streaming into the monitor connection then things are certainly going to get very very INTERESTING... There are a number of group of people becoming VERY proficient in the ways of Apples EFI implementation and the GUID partition.

Shhhh... mums the word...
  • Reply 137 of 222
    Quote:

The iMac isn't attempting to dominate the consumer home video market. Nor does it need to in order to survive.

Oh you're so absolutely right as usual-I forgot the AppleTV is attempting that and is a complete and utter FAILURE.

But the imac is marketed with 16:9 - what do you think that s for ? To view pictures? play GarageBand?
  • Reply 138 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

I literally did not know there was an ignore list setting. Thank you.

Literally?
  • Reply 139 of 222
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

I'm not talking about the current 30" ACD, I would not recommend that rip off to anyone. I'm talking about a hypothetical 30" LED ACD made to connect with the MBP.

I'm essentially saying their is no technological reason Apple could not develop such a monitor. Its about business strategy and getting a little further life out of the iMac.

And you really think it'll cost less than the current 30" ACD? I assume an updated 30" ACD.

Even for the $1,699 retail price for the Dell 30" it's still a no brainer to get the iMac. You could downgrade to the 3.06Ghz C2D 27" iMac and have a zero cost differential.

Even at $1,299 (really unlikely) the iMac is still a great deal since it gives you a uber mini for $400 and a bit of screen real-estate.

In comparison the lower rez PVA 27" Dell UltraSharp 2709 is $929.00. It's real unlikely any new Apple 27" ACD will be less than $1199.
  • Reply 140 of 222
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

Right here-

11.7 million households and the holiday season hasn't even arrived:

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/blu-ray-...ard-times/7098

As you can see - much better than digital downloads and growing at an amazing rate.

yes, and they are all clamouring for blue-ray drives to be included in apple's imac - in addition to the player that they have already purchased.