Apple's new Magic Mouse disassembled with pictures

Comments

• Reply 101 of 129
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

don't make the mistake of thinking your opinion will be taken as credible.

Or yours.
  • Reply 102 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I don't really agree, although I haven't tried the mouse yet myself.

Although I too often criticise Apple's ergonomics, especially about mice, it's fair to say that those articles are being a bit disingenuous. The fact is that there is no "ergonomic standard" or even rules when it comes to mice. There is no right way, and no wrong way, and different people use the mouse different ways.

Mice are an ergonomic disaster. Your hand is in constant tension gripping the thing, finger cocked, ready to click. Add in the scroll wheel and hand tension magnifies. Then there's the issue of running out of desk space and/or wire (a moot point with a wireless mouse).

A trackpad, trackball or stylus are simply better, ergonomically speaking.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

As much as I totally disagree with him, Steve Jobs' answer to why he thought the iMac "hockey puck" mouse (that most hated), was good was that you were supposed to just hold it with your fingertips and not rest your hand on it. Personally, I can't hold a mouse that way, but if you are one of the people that does, he is actually quite correct and the mouse works well in that context. I'm more inclined to lay my hand across the top of the mouse and just move the fingers, (as are a lot of people).

I'd like to see Apple do what no one else has ever done and make mice in varying sizes to accommodate the fact that humans have widely differing hand sizes. My hands for instance are literally twice as big as a friend of mine, but we both use the same mouse.

However, saying that one mouse design or another is "not ergonomic" or words to that effect, as these articles do, is specious. The mouse may not work for the reviewer, but it's an individual thing.

To couch it in absolutes like these articles do is basically to be just making crap up.

Trackballs are great, especially the Kensington Expert Mouse Pro with the scroll wheel around the base of the ball, which is billiard ball size and easy to manipulate. You don't hold or grab anything. Your hand rests on your desk, your fingers rest on the ball. You just point.

I've owned perhaps half a dozen different brands and style of trackball and these are the best.

http://us.kensington.com/html/2200.html
  • Reply 103 of 129
    I like how the same people who are saying how crappy the ergonomics are are also lecturing others on not passing judgement before using it
  • Reply 104 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Trackballs are great... You don't hold or grab anything. Your hand rests on your desk, your fingers rest on the ball. You just point.

Well, if they got the ergonomics on this right, and the low profile indicates they may have, that might be mostly what you do with the new MM, depending on just how trackpad-like it is.
  • Reply 105 of 129
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Mice are an ergonomic disaster. Your hand is in constant tension gripping the thing, finger cocked, ready to click. Add in the scroll wheel and hand tension magnifies. Then there's the issue of running out of desk space and/or wire (a moot point with a wireless mouse).

A trackpad, trackball or stylus are simply better, ergonomically speaking.

Trackballs are great, especially the Kensington Expert Mouse Pro with the scroll wheel around the base of the ball, which is billiard ball size and easy to manipulate. You don't hold or grab anything. Your hand rests on your desk, your fingers rest on the ball. You just point.

I've owned perhaps half a dozen different brands and style of trackball and these are the best.

http://us.kensington.com/html/2200.html

On the other hand, while I agree about mice, I son't like the Kensington trackballs at all. I find them to be annoying to use. You're constantly moving your hand around. I prefer the Logitech and my old Microsoft mouse with the thumb ball.

With those, you hand sits on the trackball and doesn't have to move as your thumb naturally sits on top of the ball, while your fingers remain comfortably on the keys.
  • Reply 106 of 129
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

On the other hand, while I agree about mice, I son't like the Kensington trackballs at all. I find them to be annoying to use. You're constantly moving your hand around. I prefer the Logitech and my old Microsoft mouse with the thumb ball.

With those, you hand sits on the trackball and doesn't have to move as your thumb naturally sits on top of the ball, while your fingers remain comfortably on the keys.

The problem I have with the thumb balls is that my thumb doesn't work well for them. I can't extend and retract my thumb nearly as easily as I can swing it side to side, and the dexterity doesn't match what I can get with a regular mouse.

I never liked any form of track ball. It's great to have options, that's not one for me.
  • Reply 107 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

It IS.

Its really nice.

• Reply 108 of 129
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Unless you don't like it for whatever reason and it winds up in the trash.

Why would somneone throw a brand new $70 device in the trash?

Oh, that's right. YOU have money to burn.

Quote:

Think please before you post

I do. I also suggest you consider thinking, and doing it also before you post.

Quote:

I'm not carrying on at all about it

Then why did you post about having $70 to burn?

Quote:

I could care less how people spend their money

Why do you care at all about how other people spend their money?
  • Reply 109 of 129
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I am at Apple 5th avenue now and using the MOuse. Too thin- thjnner than my thumb, which drags on the table. More later.
  • Reply 110 of 129
    One more ifixit teardown
  • Reply 111 of 129
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

don't make the mistake of thinking your opinion will be taken as credible.

I didn't make a mistake, you did .... "I'll still wait until I use the magic mouse before I post my opinion about it. That way it may be more credible."

As I mentioned to a previous poster: "Notice the use of the word "may" . imho, I find it best to read all the words".
  • Reply 112 of 129
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:

Must be nice to have $70+ to burn.

Not everyone is indigent, you know.

Think about it.
  • Reply 113 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Why would somneone throw a brand new $70 device in the trash?

Oh, that's right. YOU have money to burn.

I do. I also suggest you consider thinking, and doing it also before you post.

Then why did you post about having $70 to burn?

Why do you care at all about how other people spend their money?

Beleive me, I'm not trying to defend Teckstud. He can do that on his own ....but 4 comments about his 1 sentence post when you obviously didn't understand it.

"Unless you don't like it for whatever reason and it winds up in the trash."

Just because you cannot think of any reasons does not mean they do not exist. Again, read all of the words.
  • Reply 114 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I didn't make a mistake, you did .... "I'll still wait until I use the magic mouse before I post my opinion about it. That way it may be more credible."

As I mentioned to a previous poster: "Notice the use of the word "may" . imho, I find it best to read all the words".

Woah! You got me you wily wordsmith.... I see what you did there, but the fact is you still think someone would take your 'review' credibly, like your Ars Technica or some other credible hardware reviewer...

I gotta get back to the regularly scheduled program....
  • Reply 115 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Beleive me, I'm not trying to defend Teckstud. He can do that on his own ....but 4 comments about his 1 sentence post when you obviously didn't understand it.

"Unless you don't like it for whatever reason and it winds up in the trash."

Just because you cannot think of any reasons does not mean they do not exist. Again, read all of the words.

Hey - who knew we're now tag team champions.

Just played with the products. Mouse is small but it's the thinness that bugged me more. I was dragging my thumb all around. That reminds me- I need some Purell.
  • Reply 116 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steveH View Post

Not everyone is indigent, you know.

Think about it.

I tend not to waste much time dwelling on such inept posts as yours. Sorry.
  • Reply 117 of 129
    Quote:

Mice are an ergonomic disaster.

Perhaps to some people they are. The trade-off is really the speed that one can achieve with a mouse. You'll find that someone with a mouse will usually be much faster at moving the pointer cursor than someone with a trackball.

I hate trackpads and trackballs because they're slow and inefficient compared to the mouse (which may be less ergonomic that a trackball) which feels like a natural extension of the arm.
  • Reply 118 of 129
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    This is cool and all.. But is it good?
  • Reply 119 of 129
    Quote:

Woah! You got me you wily wordsmith.... I see what you did there, but the fact is you still think someone would take your 'review' credibly, like your Ars Technica or some other credible hardware reviewer...

I gotta get back to the regularly scheduled program....

And you would know what I think.... how? And why is your opinion a fact.
  • Reply 120 of 129
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

I never understood why people buy things blind without reading a single review. Must be stockholders.

A lot of reviews are full of shit, just like your CNET post which has always hated Apple products (just look how they ruined Macfixit.com). Anyone using a mouse without a mouse pad and wrist pad for support is already ergonomically incorrect. A mouse can't properly support your wrist on its own, no matter who makes it.

I am looking forward to using a scroll mouse with no moving parts because it is such a pain in the ass when the slightest spec of dust causes the ball or scroll wheel to stop responding.

If you don't like it, then don't buy it. It is not a requirement.