Nokia sues Apple over iPhone's use of patented wireless standards

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techfan View Post

I guess the same question could be posed to you: How do you know Nokia is just trying to get Apple to sign a cross licensing agreement? I'm not harassing, just wondering...

Because they can gain more by using, for example, Apple's iPhone mullti-touch technology or few of the other 300+ iPhone patents. History showed us that these types of battles between two large corporations almost always end up in cross licensing agreements as part of the settlement. For example, see Qualcomm vs Nokia case I mentioned before.
  • Reply 22 of 73
    Hahaha it must be a "sue apple" week lol
  • Reply 23 of 73
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caljomac View Post

Hahaha it must be a "sue apple" week lol

You mean the last 3 years were sue Apple years
  • Reply 24 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

If you can't compete, sue them. Apple is the darling of the industry and more lawsuits are sure to come.

May be Steve Jobs should go to law school and start Apple Law, Inc to fight these jealous bastards.

iLaw
  • Reply 25 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

What technology are you talking about? how do you know that Apple really violates Nokia patents? Just because Nokia says that Apple does without giving details and information about the patent doesn't make it so. Qualcomm countersued Nokia in 2005 regarding GSM patents and Nokia settled by paying loyalties to Qualcomm for the next 15 years. Nokia is just trying to get Apple to sign a cross licensing agreement related to the patents Apple own.

Good point.

Apple makes none of the radio technology in iPhone, they buy chips from vendors who are in the business of making components for cell phones. If the chip vendor either owns or has a license for the technology, I don't see how Nokia can sue Apple...
  • Reply 26 of 73
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    How about Nokia "compensate" apple for driving smartphone revolution, developing a workable touch screen and getting the average user to actually buy a smartphone.
  • Reply 27 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rene View Post

have many advantages over Symbian (sophisticated user interfaces, programmable in Objective C (Cocoa) instead of C++

Since when is Objective C superior to C++? I agree that Cocoa is superior to any GUI framework out there (including C++ ones), but Objective-C is not really superior to C++ (not that I claim it is true the other way round).
  • Reply 28 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wildcatherder View Post

If you can't get at least one other person to read an article before posting, it shows a lack of respect for the many you expect will read it. The information is very good but several errors made my "grammar-sensor" hurt.

Good article. Get a proofreader.

Amen to that. I've been seeing typos left and right lately on AI.

Quality is key within this demographic. After all, we all have or want Apple products.

I'm getting the gist that Nokia will shift from the device manufacturing business to more of a service orientation; they really haven't made any progress in the smartphone market, and I'm seeing more press regarding their technology development, licencing and infrastructure businesses. Perhaps this suit is in accordance with this shift.

I hope Apple wins. I don't want my next iPhone to be any more expensive than it already is\
  • Reply 29 of 73
    First we keep ATT alive with The Iphone. Next Nokia loses megamillions. Hmmm, lets ask the Iphone to save us now, maybe we can survive completely on royalties since we can't compete on product. Apple has 34 billion in cash right? Buy them and Apple gets the royalties from everyone else correct? Maybe just the royalties themselves will cover the cost of the acquisition if Nokia simply becomes Apples patent company and gets out of the phone business altogether.
  • Reply 30 of 73
    fairlyfairly Posts: 102member
    I figured with a story like this where Apple can be cast in a bad light that surely Dilbert would come out of the woodwork in one of his guises such as Princess McLean. Where is he? Please tell us if he's finally gone so we can all go back to subscribing to your RSS and visiting your site again.
  • Reply 31 of 73
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

If you can't compete, sue them. Apple is the darling of the industry and more lawsuits are sure to come.

May be Steve Jobs should go to law school and start Apple Law, Inc to fight these jealous bastards.

i think that would be a terrible waste of mr. jobs' talent...
  • Reply 32 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobrik View Post

Since when is Objective C superior to C++? I agree that Cocoa is superior to any GUI framework out there (including C++ ones), but Objective-C is not really superior to C++ (not that I claim it is true the other way round).

I would argue it is, but each to their own. Objective C is a much more elegant solution to the same problem IMO. Less is more.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    How can anyone defend Apple here when they claim to have patented.... pinching.

That doesn't make Nokia right, but I mean seriously, Apple has all sorts of ridiculous patents they are enforcing as well. You play the game, you get the blame.
  • Reply 34 of 73
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:

Using the term "superior" was probably a poor choice. Compiler technology has evolved over the years but originally both C++ and Objective C programs were pre-processed to C programs which were then compiled. So claiming superiority would be difficult but it could be claimed that Objective C is a language with a higher level of abstraction. It is more like SmallTalk than C. Both C++ and Objective C claim to be object oriented languages but Alan Kay, inventor of object oriented technology at Xerox PARC, said that C++ was certainly not what he had in mind.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Does that apply to Apple suing Psystar?

No, because Apple is competing very well against Psystar (according to Apple's latest results).

Apple is suing Psystar to "protect the brand".
  • Reply 36 of 73
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    as it was pointed out, Apple did not develop its own GSM technology, it a standard base technology which a number of company have IP included in the over implementation of the technology and usually much of the IP is cross license to all the companies who wish to deploy this technology. Can not remember who's GSM chip set apple is using, but you can figure that company has the necessary license to may a GSM chip set. That is the company who have the ultimate responsibility and most likely apple has an agreement with that company saying the would cover apple if someone brought suit against apple due to use of those chip sets.

However, if the law suite is about software apple had to use to make the chip set work correctly that on would sit squarely in apple's court
  • Reply 37 of 73
    Quote:

Since when is Objective C superior to C++?

Objective-C has been said to be a lot closer to an implementation of Object-oriented programming envisaged by the designer/inventor of OOP. Who has come and said that "C++ wasn't what he had in mind when he came up with the idea of OOP".

Besides objective-c allows use of C and C++, so by definition it must be superior, as you can't do Obj-C in C++.
  • Reply 38 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

Expect Apple to file a countersuit claiming that Nokia's latest models are violating a bunch of Apple user interface patents, followed by a relatively short court case which ends with a settlement where the two companies cross license their patent portfolios to each other. A small amount (tens of millions of dollars) of money may exchange hands between the companies as part of the settlement. What is certain is that many lawyers will make lots of money...

Not exactly. I agree that this is leverage for Nokia to get authorization on their upcoming smartphones to have the behavior of Apple's UI.

Apple will tell them to shove it on that one.

This will be dealt with out of court and Apple will weigh the cost of licensing and pay it while still retaining absolute control over Smartphone UI advancements that Nokia can't leverage without getting their asses handed to them in court.
  • Reply 39 of 73
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
  • Reply 40 of 73
    yvo84yvo84 Posts: 84member
    The fact that Apple and Nokia have been in talks for the last year tells me that Apple knows its done the wrong thing. The bad thing about all this is that Apple hasn't factored in the costs to Nokia when projecting profits, and now they're gonna have to cut into their profits to pay up. Which is fair.