Exclusive photos, video from Microsoft Store grand opening

Comments

• Reply 21 of 325
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

The idea is 2001. The point made is that MS is about 8 years behind and copying Apple still.

Think of it as the start to the Kentucky Derby. Apple left the gate when the gun went off. MS had to wait and see if it was a good idea to race and then took off 8 years later.

Would you rather they have shirtless guys greeting you at the door like Abercrombie 2009?
  • Reply 22 of 325
    This would be really good...if I wasn't a mac owner... And proud!!!
  • Reply 23 of 325
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I don't think it was fair the way they took down that Apple logo.
  • Reply 24 of 325
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I know. Opening a store, how dare they.

And posting pictures of their actual products on their walls? SACRILEGE!!!
  • Reply 25 of 325
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Where the hell is all of MS' R&D money going? Chairs? Coffee runs?

up ballmer's nose, probably...
  • Reply 26 of 325
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    Quote:

The idea is 2001. The point made is that MS is about 8 years behind and copying Apple still.

Think of it as the start to the Kentucky Derby. Apple left the gate when the gun went off. MS had to wait and see if it was a good idea to race and then took off 8 years later.

exactly
  • Reply 27 of 325
    I take exception to describing the M/S Guru Bar as an answer to Apple's Genius Bar. That implies a reaction with notable improvements when, in fact, it is a copy. So the bar, indeed the entire store, is not "an answer" to the Apple retail experience unless we are talking about the sort of answers that a trained Parrot gives.
  • Reply 28 of 325
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

up ballmer's nose, probably...

• Reply 29 of 325
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And posting picture of their actual products on their walls? SACRILEGE!!!

I know they should all be hung ins SJ living room
  • Reply 30 of 325
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

I know. Opening a store, how dare they.

But Ballmer has said that Windows 7 is now available in over 45,000 stores.

You see Windows PC's everywhere. Walmart, Target, Office Depot, the dollar store, etc.

Not sure if this will give the impact MS wants.

It was a much more critical endeavor for Apple.
  • Reply 31 of 325
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    The nice thing is, MS can't get away with it without being called out on it.

The average consumer is going to notice the fraud going on. Hell, MS' tradition of ripping off Apple is already firmly planted in the public consciousness.

MS has some serious image issues already, and this latest laughable attempt to ape Apple certainly won't help.

It's like Mitt Romney trying to be "street:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDwwAaVmnf4

Doesn't get much more sad and awkward than that.
  • Reply 32 of 325
    Quote:

MS doesn't have to copy Apple. Remember MS is the one that owns 90% of the market. Just because a company decides to take an new direction doesn't mean they are always copying Apple, or scared of Apple. Apple isn't all that scary.
  • Reply 33 of 325
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Oh right- I forgot no retail store has ever posted large pictures of their products on their walls before. Does Apple own a copyright on that? GAP anyone?

Apples retail guy was with GAP if I recall.
  • Reply 34 of 325
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

But Ballmer has said that Windows 7 is now available in over 45,000 stores.

You see Windows PC's everywhere. Walmart, Target, Office Depot, the dollar store, etc.

Not sure if this will give the impact MS wants.

It was a much more critical endeavor for Apple.

I don't really see it as being a big bang for the buck either but what gets annoying is everytime MS does something people spout off they are scared of Apple or copying Apple which is a joke.

Apple spends just as much money trying to combat MS. So maybe they are the ones that are scared. God forbid anyone say that. Lets remember who has 90% of the OS market.
  • Reply 35 of 325
    So is this a Microsoft Store or a Windows Store?

The logo suggests this is a Windows store, unless Microsoft changed their logo.
  • Reply 36 of 325
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Where the hell is all of MS' R&D money going? Chairs? Coffee runs?

Even the tables in the vid look the same. Just with PCs on them.

Which make the place looks depressing
  • Reply 37 of 325
    Quote:

The nice thing is, MS can't get away with it without being called out on it.

The average consumer is going to notice the fraud going on. Hell, MS' tradition of ripping off Apple is already firmly planted in the public consciousness.

MS has some serious image issues already, and this latest laughable attempt to ape Apple certainly won't help.

You actually believe the average consumer as visited an Apple store and will make that connection? What motivational seminar did you enroll in 'cause I need to get there FAST!
  • Reply 38 of 325
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Hey, I'm pretty sure I see Techstud standing there in the crowd. I wonder how he likes his new home away from home. Anything is better than Apple's crap, right?
  • Reply 39 of 325
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

If the store thing is so 2001, why does Apple continue to open stores? The genius bar is pretty busy most of the time when I walk into the Apple store, so the myth that it "just works" is just that a myth.

Your bash is misplaced.

The slogan "it just works" refers to normal operating conditions, something which NEVER happens on a PC, even when it is in perfect working order.

Yet every product, including Apple's, is going to have a certain failure rate. Even at a low percentage, if your sample space is large enough, it amounts to a lot of people needing help.

Thompson
  • Reply 40 of 325
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

So is this a Microsoft Store or a Windows Store?

http://images.appleinsider.com/msstore-091022-1.png

The logo suggests this is a Windows store, unless Microsoft changed their logo.

They would have placed an Apple logo instead if it wasn't for copyright laws