Exclusive photos, video from Microsoft Store grand opening

Comments

• Reply 81 of 325
    The stores look so corporate in nature and not inspiring at all to me. Also agree with the comments concerning the shop logo, here there suppose to be MS stores not windows stores.

Also I see the store is advertising its best brand image "the blue screen"

I wish MS well, since when MS tries to compete with Apple in their innovative areas, it means Apple raises its game, better innovative products are released, revenue/profit increases and that drives my Apple shares even further upwards :-))))
  • Reply 82 of 325
    Late to the prom and completely ripping off a concept. Is their an once of originally at Microsoft?
  • Reply 83 of 325
    can someone please point me to the premium market. I've been hearing that Apple holds the premium market but last time I checked you can purchase or build your own PC for $2,000+ (I'm guessing "premium" comes from the price because Apple's hardware definitely isn't premium) that would wipe the floor with any Mac. And I may be mistaken but they all run Windows. So again, where is the premium market?
  • Reply 84 of 325
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Like bringing in your iMac to show them in Windows 7 that your bluetooth mouse won't connect no matter what you do?

That would pretty funny. I have to wonder if MS has contracts with the other vendors or if they will even look at a Mac. Sour grape or not? Hopefully someone will do a video to see how it?s handled.
  • Reply 85 of 325
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9Hk0...layer_embedded

BLATANT copying of Apple. It's just pathetic now.

There is definitely one way Microsoft innovates over Apple that's shown in their store openings, pay a boat load of people to be on site at the opening to mingle with the actual shopper. There's probably close to 100 employes there! Mix in a few dozen photographers and the affiliate representatives and you got a Microsoft party.
  • Reply 86 of 325
    Strange it looks just like an Apple store...

I wonder if their average revenue per store will approach that of an Apple store? It will be interesting to watch.

Also I can't wait till lots of PC owners start pitching up with all their PC problems...on various machines...some home built etc...it'll keep the Gurus busy just like at Best Buy!

Beyond a few copies of Windows I'm not sure what they will sell en masse?
  • Reply 87 of 325
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

There is no such thing as a premium market. That is something made up by Apple fanboys to justify that Apple has never broken into double digits in the PC arena.

Apple creates and arena and will only play in that arena. If they were that proud of their OS and felt that could support the many hardware options MS supports they would have done it a long time ago. Fact is they can't.

Its not that hard to have the #1 rating in customer service when you are only supporting 9% of the market and have a handful of hardware options.

Premium market my Velocity mirco system cost more then two 27" iMacs. Apple uses the same hardware as everyone else there isn't anything Premium in their hardware, that is a myth that people like you have talked themselves into believing.

Let's see...

90%(sic) of a moribund market, or increasing dominance of the market of the future (mobile internet), and growing. MS dominance of the desktop is due to entrenched monopoly and corporate entrenchment. They have no battle plan to counter the Apple ecosystem and they're scared shitless.

I know which one my money is on.
  • Reply 89 of 325
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Do you think the Burger King fanboys bash every new McDonalds for copying their stores and vice versa?

Burger King fanboys, funny...

Although McDonalds and Burger King have a lobby leading to a cashier that has a menu board of food items, that once you get your meal and go to the dining room area and sit at a "booth" or table with chairs to eat, you look around at the aesthetics and that's where McDonalds and Burger King try to make the "same" into their own "atmosphere".

Whereas with Apple and MS, you have Apple for the most part introducing innovations and MS following their lead with a over hyped similar product...

Apple Mac OS X aqua, widgets, etc. - MS OS Vista aero, gadgets, etc.

Apple iPod and ITMS - MS Zune the Social, the Marketplace

Apple iPhone - MS Pink

Apple retail stores - MS retail stores with the same Apple flare

It seems MS is styling its products so much so to mimic Apple's that I guess they hope to confuse the consumer and therefore MS will be satisfied with the crumbs (in sales) that fall off Apple's table (of success)!

Someone help me out...

What is it called when someone can't just be themselves but has to emulate someone else in mannerisms, dress, looks, actions, deeds, etc. in order to feel accepted? Wouldn't a Psychologist believe them to be suffering from poor self-esteem?! Maybe they should see a psychiatrists because they can prescribe medication. Lord know some of the MS execs can use a chill pill every now and then!
  • Reply 90 of 325
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._by_apple.html

The very site you hang out on says there is (and it's not just little old AI saying it, either.)

Now what?

And the PC manufacturers are crying a river.

But hey, they sell more computers than Apple does!
  • Reply 91 of 325
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Microsoft innovation at work.

I see an Apple-inspired storefront and interior, many displays, and a lot of people standing around...

but no sales.

Yup, typical microsoft.
  • Reply 92 of 325
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tink View Post

There is definitely one way Microsoft innovates over Apple that's shown in their store openings, pay a boat load of people to be on site at the opening to mingle with the actual shopper. There's probably close to 100 employes there! Mix in a few dozen photographers and the affiliate representatives and you got a Microsoft party.

MS kept their disaster of a retail outlet in SF open long after it was an obvious failure.

They have the pockets to keep such stores open and filled with 'customers' for as long as they want.
  • Reply 93 of 325
    Quote:

There is no such thing as a premium market. That is something made up by Apple fanboys to justify that Apple has never broken into double digits in the PC arena.

Apple creates and arena and will only play in that arena. If they were that proud of their OS and felt that could support the many hardware options MS supports they would have done it a long time ago. Fact is they can't.

Its not that hard to have the #1 rating in customer service when you are only supporting 9% of the market and have a handful of hardware options.

Premium market my Velocity mirco system cost more then two 27" iMacs. Apple uses the same hardware as everyone else there isn't anything Premium in their hardware, that is a myth that people like you have talked themselves into believing.

I remember Steve Ballmer claiming that Microsoft has now 25% of premium market in Zune players. He described premium market as mp3 players over $250.

Regarding Notebooks it used to be a large number of computers over $1000 but more recently PCs with Windows have been gravitating lower.

Check out following:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1681...h-get-an-apple
  • Reply 94 of 325
    cdyatescdyates Posts: 202member
    Quote:

I know. Opening a store, how dare they.

Yeah, I mean, Apple invented retail stores right?
  • Reply 95 of 325
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tink View Post

Funny as heck. They even copied the "cheering on the customers" from the Apple Store iPhone introduction. Laaaaaaaame!

(Store shot on an iPhone... pretty funny)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzhFanBm4SY
  • Reply 96 of 325
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

So is this a Microsoft Store or a Windows Store?

The logo suggests this is a Windows store, unless Microsoft changed their logo.

I particularly like the Blue Screen-wall of Death along the length of the store. A nice touch.
  • Reply 97 of 325
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by red_skittles View Post

can someone please point me to the premium market. I've been hearing that Apple holds the premium market but last time I checked you can purchase or build your own PC for $2,000+ (I'm guessing "premium" comes from the price because Apple's hardware definitely isn't premium) that would wipe the floor with any Mac. And I may be mistaken but they all run Windows. So again, where is the premium market?

Whether you?re buying or building your own PC, there are premium options. If you build your PC are you going for the cheap components or going for the more expensive, premium components that may or may not actually provide better tech specs, but be built with higher quality materials and be built to more rigid specs, usually offering a better warranty and better service if there is a problem. This is how the premium has always worked.
  • Reply 98 of 325
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

I see an Apple-inspired storefront and interior, many displays, and a lot of people standing around...

but no sales.

Yup, typical microsoft.

How, because you mean your company will buy it for you instead, so that you'll stay competitive?
  • Reply 99 of 325
    Hmmm... I thought Microsoft already had a chain of stores:

• Reply 100 of 325
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by julesburt View Post

I wonder if their average revenue per store will approach that of an Apple store?

Highly doubtful, of course! This is Microsoft's 1st brick-and-mortar store, located in an affluent community, it is D-day for Windows 7, but do you see anything being sold?