Exclusive photos, video from Microsoft Store grand opening

Comments

• Reply 141 of 325
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Nice to see you here, Steve Ballmer. Welcome to hell.

You're just sad. While I'm not a fan of Steve Ballmer its very safe to say he is a much of a loser as SJ is a control freak. Next time you post try to at least offer a real opinion.
  • Reply 142 of 325
    Quote:

We all look forward to seeing droves of upset PC fans bearing virus-laden computers lining up for a shot at the Gurus. It's gonna be one heck of a show.

Are you really that brainwashe to believe that PC users really have that much of an issue with viruses these days? So many users are running 64bit systems. I haven't had a virus in about 7 years. Your like a 1980 Apple Ad.
  • Reply 143 of 325
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Scared is not a real word in the business world. One business is not scared of another. The fact that MS, Google and Apple realize that they have good competitions helps the end user in the long run. You know the saying competition breeds innovation.

Its good business to realize when you have solid competition. Its not about being scared its about being smart. Its safe to say that all the companies above have lasted because they are smart not scared.

I understand that might be a little do deep for some to follow.

Don't start getting all pedantic on me. You know what I meant. Better yet, you know what YOU meant when you used the word "scared" FIRST in the thread above. Within the context that it appeared, you were implying that Apple was beneath Microsoft's concern. It is in THAT context where I disagree.

Call it concern, call it being aware, wary, cautious, whatever. Pick whatever word you want, instead of "scared", and in my opinion the context you placed it in was completely wrong. Apple is coming on like gangbusters, and Microsoft needs to be very aware.

Thompson
  • Reply 144 of 325
    I could see this happening "Look mom now we can come visit the store that crashes every 10 minutes and witness it on the largest wall of lcd panels ever".

LOL

Apple is loving this I am sure.
  • Reply 145 of 325
    Quote:

Are you really that brainwashe to believe that PC users really have that much of an issue with viruses these days? So many users are running 64bit systems. I haven't had a virus in about 7 years. Your like a 1980 Apple Ad.

I have not had flu in 15 years, but that does not mean millions of people do not suffer from Flu every year.
  • Reply 146 of 325
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Teck, the copying going on here is blatant. MS' intent here is painfully obvious. MS has a massive inferiority complex when it comes to Apple, and it's affecting their every move. It's as if they've lost the capacity for original thought.

MS is absolutely obsessed with Apple's rise. Ballmer can't stop talking about them. It's going to manifst itself physically, and it ha been for years. This store is just another example of it, and a bizzarely obvious one at that.

Haven't you ever heard that "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"?
  • Reply 147 of 325
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

We all look forward to seeing droves of upset PC fans bearing virus-laden computers lining up for a shot at the Gurus. It's gonna be one heck of a show.

I wonder how locked the PCs being demoed in the store will be locked down and if they will have internet access like in Apple stores. I don?t think there is any locking to the Macs in the Apple Stores, but think that Win7 will have to be locked down hard in order to prevent people from loading viruses.
  • Reply 148 of 325
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

Apples shares are based on Steve Jobs staying alive.

Your answer on Premium is total BS because you can't come up with a real answer because the fact is Apple doesn't make anything premium compared to anyone else.

I find Apples build quality to be a fair bit better than most PC's on the market.

Lots of plastic in the PS space. Lots of aluminum in glass in the Mac lineup.

Also the attention to detail. The way stuff fits together. The way the ports are built into the computer. I don't see flimsy shit, flippy flappy port covers and that kind of stuff. Just looks like care was given to what they were trying to achieve.

You can't expect that with low margin PC stuff.

And like what was said above, the software experience is also a big factor. The way iLife works so well.
  • Reply 149 of 325
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Has any pundit expressed that this may be a bad move for MS the same way they expressed it was a bad move for Apple to open up retail stores?

MS fanboys.. chaaaaaaaaarge

I love how they claim Apple is not a threat and Apple is doomed but they keep coming here and criticize everything Apple does but when MS do the same thing it will become the smart thing.
  • Reply 150 of 325
    Well let's see... does it have the appearance of a blatant copy of the Apple store paradigm? You bet.

Did Apple come up with the idea of a botique store for electronics? Nope.

Microsoft is like a sports team that won several championships and built a dynasty, but now the rest of the league has figured out their strategy and the wins aren't coming anymore. The old strategy stuck for a while thinking the losses were fluke, but it's now obvious that something new has to be tried.

This store concept, and Windows 7, is the equivalent of a team rebuild. Microsoft is losing the young consumers to Apple products and they must work to regain MIND-share more so than MARKET-share at this point, because today's college laptop users are tomorrow's large company purchase decision makers.
  • Reply 151 of 325
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Don't start getting all pedantic on me. You know what I meant. Better yet, you know what YOU meant when you used the word "scared" FIRST in the thread above. Within the context that it appeared, you were implying that Apple was beneath Microsoft's concern. It is in THAT context where I disagree.

Call it concern, call it being aware, wary, cautious, whatever. Pick whatever word you want, instead of "scared", and in my opinion the context you placed it in was completely wrong. Apple is coming on like gangbusters, and Microsoft needs to be very aware.

Thompson

Apple is so beneath MS that that I?m sure this store idea was a coincidence, just like aspects of Win7 looking like OS X and how the Zune concept was a coincidence. I?m sure Extremeskater and the other troll boy believe that.
  • Reply 152 of 325
    Quote:

I don't really see it as being a big bang for the buck either but what gets annoying is everytime MS does something people spout off they are scared of Apple or copying Apple which is a joke.

Apple spends just as much money trying to combat MS. So maybe they are the ones that are scared. God forbid anyone say that. Lets remember who has 90% of the OS market.

I'd rather have the market-share of the percentage of population with a brain and trace of intelligence within it than the 90%.
  • Reply 153 of 325
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Okay lets for a min say that are copying. Why do we care? If we like Apple products then we should simply use them. If like some of what MS does then we should use them. I don't see any benefit in bitching everytime MS does something. Its pathetic.

I agree with this sentiment. I have no problem with Microsoft emulating the formula that has made Apple one of the most successful retailers on the planet (and number one by revenue per square foot metric). If they are bound and determined to enter the retail experience at all, they would be foolish not to learn from the best.

So rather than bitch, I am here to showcase my skills of prognostication: the MS stores will do well for a time, until the novelty wears off, and then they will be a loss leader. I will come back a year from now and say "I told you so."

Thompson
  • Reply 154 of 325
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Apples shares are based on Steve Jobs staying alive.

Your answer on Premium is total BS because you can't come up with a real answer because the fact is Apple doesn't make anything premium compared to anyone else.

Tell that to the industry. The industry recognizes Apple as a Premium market player. Don't get all cooked over it because I'm just parroting facts.
  • Reply 155 of 325
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Those milled aluminium MBP chassis seem more premium than the cheap plastic cases of other vednors. Their mutitouch trackpad and mouse seems more premium than the simple single touch trackpads and simple mice of other vendors. The IPS displays with LED-backlighting seems mroe premium than the LCD-backlighting and TN displays of other vendor?s AIOs. I have to say I will never buy another notebook that doesn?t have a backlit keyboard, I haven?t seen that on a $400 notebook yet. The Magsafe power adapter surely has saved more than a few repairs for people. The silent fans, PVC and mercury free components seem like premium components over noisy fans and environmentally unfriendly materials. The feel of the glass trackpad and Apple keyboards is more comfortable than on other machines.

Apple used TN panels on their 20inch iMacs. Most vendors now offer backlit keyboards. Is milled AL better, maybe but I have never had a problem with any of my Sony or HP laptops. Most PC home users do not use AIO's because most PC users are not forced to pick between an AIO and a few notebook models. We have options.

Unless you are a tree hugger no one cares if their PC is environmentally friendly or not. All LED does is make the display thinner which most could care less about thin. That is an Apple obession.

This is what I consider Premium. I run with a 1200 watt power supply. A EVGA x58 3way sli motherboard. Intel Core i7 extreme edition 3.33ghz overclocked to 4.3ghz, 8gb corsair ddr 3, 1333 ram. Dual 285 nividia cards. Raid 5 with four hitachi drives. Oh and my keyboard is backlit thank god. Dual LG (Matte) 24" monitors.

My system can do anything I ask it to do and it can boot Vista x64 in 25sec.

Not every windows user has an 800.00 gateway computer or a netbook.

In no way am I saying that Apple doesn't have good products I own many of them myself and have for years but we all have our own opinion on what we consider Premium. Thats the only point I was trying to make.
  • Reply 156 of 325
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Is it me or does Ballmer look like Peter Boyle from Young Frankenstein? "I am the monster!"
  • Reply 157 of 325
    Quote:

I run a computer business in Los Angeles and I'd say about 95 percent of computers that come through my door are PC's running Windows, and they are laden with SPAM, adware, and spyware. Just the other day for 'stuff and giggles' I installed Windows on one of my partitions... didn't install an anti-virus program because I didn't plan on using the Windows side of my Mac all that often... two days later I open Internet Explorer and within a few hours of use I have around 30 popups randomly opening every few minutes. To say viruses aren't an issue for any computer is silly.
  • Reply 158 of 325
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I have not had flu in 15 years, but that does not mean millions of people do not suffer from Flu every year.

Don't you just love anecdotal evidence that's assumed to have majority representation?
  • Reply 159 of 325
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Yeah, I guess all the personal and corporate PC users like paying money to McAfee, Norton, and other AV software vendors because they enjoy paying for things that do nothing.
  • Reply 160 of 325
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Tell that to the industry. The industry recognizes Apple as a Premium market player. Don't get all cooked over it because I'm just parroting facts.

There are many pc manufactures that are considers premium or boutique. I'm not saying that Apple doesn't make a good product, just saying its no different then any other quality PC manufacture.

Premium is not a fact its an opinion based on someones needs.