Psystar sells $50 software hack to run Snow Leopard on PCs

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Mac cloner and enduring litigant Psystar has rolled out a new $50 application that will allow certain Intel-powered PCs to run Mac OS X.

The Florida-based company announced Thursday that any PC with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, i7 or Xeon Nehalem processor installed can take advantage of its Rebel EFI software hack to run Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

The "Rebel" hack is likely to get the company in even more hot water as an ongoing legal battle with Apple continues over Psystar's unauthorized computers that ship with Mac OS X preinstalled. Psystar and Apple have been embroiled in a legal controversy over Mac OS X usage since July 2008.

Thursday's announcement signals another frontier for the bold company beyond selling Mac-booting hardware. Psystar's website includes 38 steps of instructions for installing Mac OS X with its new Rebel EFI tool, with one part of the process that takes 13 separate steps to complete.

"Featuring Psystar's newest technology for allowing for the smooth interfacing between operating systems and generic Intel hardware," the product description reads, "Rebel EFI allows for the easy installation of multiple operating systems on a single system."

The software is priced at $89.99 at The Psystar Store, but is currently listed with a "special" $40 discount. The company offers it free to try, but with limited hardware functionality and a two-hour runtime. Rebel EFI also runs a hardware scan (seen below).

"The authenticated version allows for the permanent installtion [sic] of these OS's on your system, as well as providing the [Darwin Universal Boot Loader], supported hardware profile features and related drivers, and support for the application," Psystar's site states.

Earlier this month, Apple and Psystar both requested summary judgment in an attempt to head off a January trial. That news came shortly after Psystar announced it will sell Snow Leopard virtualization technology to third-parties -- the same technology included in the consumer-targeted Rebel EFI.

Apple has yet to comment on the latest development in this ongoing saga.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    The psystar online store is shut down already.

This should be interesting.
  • Reply 2 of 72
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Friggin' soap box opera is more like it.
  • Reply 3 of 72
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
  • Reply 4 of 72
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    I'm actually looking forward to seeing where this goes. If the courts can't stop Psystar and Apple doesn't do any cat & mouse with software updates, I might build a Hackintosh to play with.
  • Reply 5 of 72
    I have a hunch that most of this was ripped off from the work done by the hackintosh crowd and given a gui. These folks steal from everyone. Imho.
  • Reply 6 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    So does this actually alter any of the code of Mac OS X, or simply trick it into installing without actually altering the codebase? While there clones are illegal this software doesn?t seem to violate any copyrights or patents as far as I can tell at this point, much like the EFiX USB chip. And since you are installing it yourself Apple can?t easily come after you for the doing it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

The psystar online store is shut down already.

This should be interesting.

There whole site was done 20 minutes ago.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

I'm actually looking forward to seeing where this goes. If the courts can't stop Psystar and Apple doesn't do any cat & mouse with software updates, I might build a Hackintosh to play with.

And Apple may rise prices, require an authentication code and/or a home phone to verify a legal install of OS X. These are things I don?t want to deal with with OS X.
  • Reply 7 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

You can already do this using Chameleon RC3. This bootloader has a beautiful UI and it runs great with SL. I am currently using Chameleon RC2 with my Hackintosh 10.5.

Using a retail version of SL, you will also be able to freely update the OS using the regular Apple Software Updater - no piracy and no hacking (buy the retail SL dvd please).

The funny stuff is that OS X recognizes my PC as a MacPro2,1 and the cool stuff is that Geekbench scores are a little higher than a MacPro2,1 generation.

HackSpec: Core 2 Duo Quad 6600 @ 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM DDR2, GeForce 9800GTX+ 512MB, Intel MB, Sound + Lan onboard, LG DVD-RW.

Go here for more detail:

http://www.insanelymac.com/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I have a hunch that most of this was ripped off from the work done by the hackintosh crowd and given a gui. These folks steal from everyone. Imho.

True!
  • Reply 8 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Mac cloner and enduring litigant Psystar has rolled out a new $50 application that will allow certain Intel-powered PCs to run Mac OS X.

The Florida-based company announced Thursday that any PC with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, i7 or Xeon Nehalem processor installed can take advantage of its Rebel EFI software hack to run Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

The "Rebel" hack is likely to get the company in even more hot water as an ongoing legal battle with Apple continues over Psystar's unauthorized computers that ship with Mac OS X preinstalled. Psystar and Apple have been embroiled in a legal controversy over Mac OS X usage since July 2008.

Thursday's announcement signals another frontier for the bold company beyond selling Mac-booting hardware. Psystar's website includes 38 steps of instructions for installing Mac OS X with its new Rebel EFI tool, with one part of the process that takes 13 separate steps to complete.

"Featuring Psystar's newest technology for allowing for the smooth interfacing between operating systems and generic Intel hardware," the product description reads, "Rebel EFI allows for the easy installation of multiple operating systems on a single system."

The software is priced at $89.99 at The Psystar Store, but is currently listed with a "special" $40 discount. The company offers it free to try, but with limited hardware functionality and a two-hour runtime. Rebel EFI also runs a hardware scan (seen below).

"The authenticated version allows for the permanent installtion [sic] of these OS's on your system, as well as providing the [Darwin Universal Boot Loader], supported hardware profile features and related drivers, and support for the application," Psystar's site states.

Earlier this month, Apple and Psystar both requested summary judgment in an attempt to head off a January trial. That news came shortly after Psystar announced it will sell Snow Leopard virtualization technology to third-parties -- the same technology included in the consumer-targeted Rebel EFI.

doesn't apple have a legal department? why does this even happen?
  • Reply 9 of 72
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    cool, get it on thepiratebay asap. Then see who is complaining.
  • Reply 10 of 72
    I wonder why Apple don't do it itself - release Snow Leopard for PC.

Just publish hardware requirements on apple.com and sell it for $129. Windows 7 need real competitor!
  • Reply 11 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SergeSF View Post

Just publish hardware requirements on apple.com and sell it for $129. Windows 7 need real competitor!

Cause Apple isn't in the software business, their in the hardware business.

How old are you?
  • Reply 12 of 72
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Psystar's latest attempt to legitimize thievery.

Will not score points with this in court, that's for sure.
  • Reply 13 of 72
    Wow psystar you guys are masters of engineering, 30+ steps to get your fugly piece of software working. Maybe take some pointers from the people whose stuff your are ripping off next time.
  • Reply 14 of 72
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Do these guys supply their own handcuffs?
  • Reply 15 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

IT WAS! In fact it was GPL'd if I'm not mistaken... Which violates that too.

If they can do this, and MacOffice can rip off NeoOffice and sell it... What's the point. Crack down, and do it now! Anything I can do to help, I'm in.
  • Reply 16 of 72
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So does this actually alter any of the code of Mac OS X, or simply trick it into installing without actually altering the codebase? While there clones are illegal this software doesn?t seem to violate any copyrights or patents as far as I can tell at this point, much like the EFiX USB chip.

no but it is a potential violation of the DMCA restriction against knowledge/technology which breaks access control functions. so thus still a no-no
  • Reply 17 of 72
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    I wouldn't be surprised if Psystar's next act is to Rick Roll the judge.
  • Reply 18 of 72
    Quote:

They would have a Windows EXE you download to TEST the PC before... They only make drivers for their hardware. most of the drivers used to get Hackin's working is open source derived or straight from the manufacture (Hello, Realtek).
  • Reply 19 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Do these guys supply their own handcuffs?

Yea, but they were stolen from another state's police dept.
  • Reply 20 of 72
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

doesn't apple have a legal department? why does this even happen?

yes they do. and said department has already filed several suits and countersuits which is why we have any news to read about this issue.

Quote:

well the parts in a Mac are simply handselected by Apple from the vast assortment that goes into PCs,including Intel chips. so in effect Snow Leopard is already for PCs. the whole thing behind Psystar is that they don't like that Apple can legally pick which logic boards, which graphics cards, which hard drives and so on are in a Snow Leopard supported PC. they want to pick their own. and by not providing shops of tech support, training, a massive website etc they cut out the extra cost that drives up the final ticket price allowing them to attempt a claim at a cheaper Mac.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gresh28 View Post

Wow psystar you guys are masters of engineering, 30+ steps to get your fugly piece of software working.

yep that was my double fail. if they have gone to all this trouble and want to charge for it, the software should have 4 steps. Open, Pick the harddrive to install on, Wait for it to do its thang, Quit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

Yea, but they were stolen from another state's police dept.