Apple's Boot Camp will not support Windows 7 on some 2006 Macs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

i can barely type...i'm sobbing so hard right now, i might wet my keyboard with my tears and ruin the backlight...

-------

to appleinsider: this deserves a full post? really? who gives a fuck, come on

ROFLMMFAO!

Those are unicorn tears, right?

Seriously, who cares whether Vista SP2 or Win7 runs on 3 -year old Macs? or any macs, for that matter.

i guess since Apple lowered the boom and tightened the screws on Mac rumors and their sources, we're stuck with Windows stories masquerading as Mac related news in order to fill space.

Woe are we.
  • Reply 22 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Seems like Apple is discontinuing support for any machines that are older than 3 years... right after AppleCare ends. Either could a move to cut support costs, since those users aren't paying for support anymore and they have to update the drivers, or they simply decided that Windows 7 performance was mediocre on these machines. Makes me wonder how the general PC market that still has Core Duos with 2GB of RAM will also cope with Windows 7's performance. Ah well, I have one of those machines, it runs great with Snow Leopard and I virtualize XP and that runs great, so I don't care

Then again, it could a carrot to lure us laggards that won't upgrade their machines every few years to actually do the upgrade that we wanted, but always seemed to put off

Oh wait, I forgot there could be another reason. ATI and nVidia just won't update 3-year-old graphics chip drivers (for graphic cards they discontinued 2 years ago) for Windows 7.

These excluded models are not the only Intel Macs Apple sold in 2006. Why aren't the 2006 13" MacBooks and Mac minis in this list?

If Apple wanted to kill support for older Macs, it wouldn't drop Windows 7 support, it would have dropped them from Snow Leopard, like it did to PPC Macs.
  • Reply 23 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

ROFLMMFAO!

Seriously, who cares whether Vista SP2 or Win7 runs on 3 -year old Macs? or any macs, for that matter.

i guess since Apple lowered the boom and tightened the screws on Mac rumors and their sources, we're stuck with Windows stories masquerading as Mac related news in order to fill space.

Woe are we.

i know, if you have the misfortune of having to use garbageware, you can always install virtualbox or vmware...just don't partition your hard drive and boot into it ...

still devastating news... i might slit my wrists though...and will kill myself twice if there are no proper magic mouse drivers for windows 7 in boot camp...and kill myself once again if i can't synch my zune in my new 27" imac...
  • Reply 24 of 67
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

ROFLMMFAO!

Steve Jobs obviously does.

Why did SJ put windows on a Mac in the first place? To grOW marketSHARE

Sadly it hasn't turned out quite a s well as he'd want. But Apple makes a ton of profits by overpricing- so who cares?
  • Reply 25 of 67
    Quote:

I don't think I'll ever recover.

Thankfully I'm fresh out of razor blades and sleeping pills!

Ah, but I have a gas stove...

I'm going to use this line(s) and probably not credit you...if that's OK?
  • Reply 26 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glockpop View Post

These excluded models are not the only Intel Macs Apple sold in 2006. Why aren't the 2006 13" MacBooks and Mac minis in this list?

If Apple wanted to kill support for older Macs, it wouldn't drop Windows 7 support, it would have dropped them from Snow Leopard, like it did to PPC Macs.

I see your point...but Apple has a 'strategy' and it is to always to be on the forward looking/leading edge and we as users just have to 'keep up!'

I want Apple's talent/resources invested towards the advancements rather than be 'distracted' by legacy issues.

(Think MS, here and the attendant legacy mess they have perpetuated.)

As I write this, on an original white 20" intel iMac (which I want it to hurry up and 'break' so I can justify buying a new 27" iMac)

I think, Apple has more foresight, where MS has more foreskin!
  • Reply 27 of 67
    Quote:

i know, if you have the misfortune of having to use garbageware, you can always install virtualbox or vmware...just don't partition your hard drive and boot into it ...

still devastating news... i might slit my wrists though...and will kill myself twice if there are no proper magic mouse drivers for windows 7 in boot camp...and kill myself once again if i can't synch my zune in my new 27" imac...

Nighty, night! Enjoyed your posts!

Later!
  • Reply 28 of 67
    Quote:

Actually, VirtualBox allows you to install Windows on an EXTERNAL hard drive. Parallels and Fusion are limited to internal drive installations ONLY, the last time i checked. Free is good, too!

Quote:

Clearly, you'll have to take back the 27" iMac. Use the refund to buy a good scalpel to do a proper job!
  • Reply 29 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Same- here - I was thinking about getting it for my iMac. I have a Rolly which only runs on Windows. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTxdKi77G20

Dude (if you area a dude, since you could be a chick with a really twisted sense of humor ) I appreciate the devils advocate role you fulfill around here so I need to soften the blow as best as I can... I don't know how not to be a jerk when I say this, so I won't even try.

I can't believe you spent money on a Sony Rolly. A rolling mp3 player? Really? Didn't that thing cost $400? Is it for your kids or your pets? I'm not sure I would testify to the fact that I own one of those things. I might own one but I wouldn't tell anyone. If this thing didn't make me smile as much as it did, I'd have to give you a harder time about it.

Edit: still Laughing
  • Reply 30 of 67
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    If Windows 7/Vista is so effin' bad/garbage, then why does Apple even allow it to be installed on Macs via Bootcamp? You can't have your cake and eat it too.
  • Reply 31 of 67
    I was wondering how Apple was going to protect entire Mac labs from being switched over to Windows if and when Microsoft ever got around to putting out a good version.

It's happened before in a similar fashion, computer labs were "standardized" to be Windows only and only us "creative types" who refused to work with anything else got to keep our Mac's. (you can thank me for almost losing my job a few times)

It's not random chance that Apple announced Windows 7 won't work with 3 year old Mac hardware nearly the same day Windows 7 was announced.

Apple is protecting it's OS X user base from being wiped out by Windows 7, plain and simple.

So essentially you got three years of using OS X, if you don't like it you have to either keep using it or buy a new PC with Windows 7.

You won't be able to use your 3 year old, but vastly superior, Mac hardware with Windows 7 and be fine for the next 8 years or so. (hacks hopefully will come out)

Not saying that people will be happy using Windows 7 over OS X, but for example college students who bought a Mac in school and find out that they need Windows for Corporate America just can't just wipe it and install the latest Windows version when they enter the workforce.
  • Reply 32 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glockpop View Post

Those are the Macs that had the shitty Intel integrated graphics chips in them.
  • Reply 33 of 67
    What is the upgrade process for going from Vista to Win 7 with Bootcamp?
  • Reply 34 of 67
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:

Actually, VirtualBox allows you to install Windows on an ETERNAL hard drive.

Wow - that sounds like an impressive warranty! It never, ever crashes? (Ever?)
  • Reply 35 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nondual View Post

What is the upgrade process for going from Vista to Win 7 with Bootcamp?

Download latest boot camp drivers in Vista. Boot Up Vista (you should already be there). Insert Win7 Upgrade DVD. Follow instructions to install. Win7 boots up... Update drivers. You may need to re-run driver install and OK to all prompts.

Let me repeat this for all in the Mac world to see. Not being Sarcastic just honest. On a Mac I have done this (in fact just completed one about 20mins ago. It's late, I'm off to bed.

Windows 7 will Boot and Install PERFECTLY on every single Intel Mac on the planet. Drivers HOWEVER will be basic supplied to work UNTIL you update them. Basic Drivers work PERFECTLY. Updated, Manufacture Specific drivers add functionality or enhance it.

• Reply 36 of 67
    But it works on the new iMacs
  • Reply 37 of 67
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:

I don't think I'll ever recover.

Thankfully I'm fresh out of razor blades and sleeping pills!

Ah, but I have a gas stove...

dude! think of the carbon footprint!
  • Reply 38 of 67
    My PC came out during that time period, and surprise! It doesn't have drivers for the ancient 855GM video in Vista, nor are any available. Maybe now since Win7 is out, but otherwise, I'm not hopeful.

Btw, Linux supports it better than Win7 does. Lame. Maybe those people should just switch from Win7 to Linux and it will be a non issue
  • Reply 39 of 67
    nr23nr23 Posts: 1member
    On a 2006 iMac, you can "continue" the W7 Setup (only 32 bit working) after the BlueScreen (due to wrong NVIDIA driver) with a then newly setup Bootcamp-VM in Parallels. Then download current NVIDIA-drivers and try to install, which won't work of course in VM. Copy from the new C\NVIDIA directory nvlddmkm.sy_ to system32\\drivers\

vlddmkm.sys . You can also install the bootcamp drivers in VM. Boot W7 direct and install NVIDIA drivers from NVIDIA directory. Voilá.
  • Reply 40 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Actually, VirtualBox allows you to install Windows on an ETERNAL hard drive. Parallels and Fusion are limited to internal drive installations ONLY, the last time i checked.

I haven't heard of that limitation, I also don't think that's true. I just gave it a go and Fusion 2 is not preventing me from saving and installing a new virtual partition on an external drive. I haven't updated in several months either.