Exclusive photos, video from Microsoft Store grand opening

11112131517

Comments

  • Reply 281 of 325
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    Yeah good point. I forgot Apple didn't intro all this new hardware this week because they are scared of Windows 7 they did it to steal their thunder. Didn't really work all that well.



    Yep, releasing a bunch of new hardware is just like opening a store that slavishly copies your rival.



    I'm not really one for "Apple users are smarter/cooler/whatever" theories, but I'm starting to wonder if using a PC makes you a little stupid. The MS defenses/Apple snark being mounted in this thread are appallingly moronic.
  • Reply 282 of 325
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    I love how everyone keeps saying Dell when we are talking about Microsoft. Could it be you don't bring up MS because they could buy Apple with their pocket change?



    Not really interested in engaging my point, I guess.



    At any rate, at current trends Apple's market cap is likely to exceed MS's next year some time.
  • Reply 283 of 325
    Hope this works for them, but I do wonder what they plan to sell. Of course, Windows and Orfice but what else? Keyboards, mice, XBox & accessories? Oh, that Zune thing probably too. But, even then what's the attraction? Once you have your copy of Windows, it's not like you have to go and get another in a week or two. They are a software company, albeit a one with few of their own original ideas.



    It's like the "Hot Dog on a Stick" place at the mall; Hot Dogs, Lemonade and Fried Cheese, almost a one trick pony. Honestly, I've never been to an Apple Store either, so I'm not familiar with what they sell. I live in rural Arizona, I bought my Mac Mini at a local computer shop and had to wait a week for it to arrive. The nearest Apple and soon Gateway, umm, I mean, Microsoft store will be over 100 miles away.



    Yes, I own and use Macs and will never use anything else, except at work (Windows XP.) So all of you MS fanboys, throw your stones, but my 2009 Mac Mini has nearly 5 months of uptime without a single crash, (got it in May 2009.) No software re-installs and no viruses, malware, worms and so on... I just run my firewall and it's all good.



    The Windows machine that lives in my house requires monthly maintenance and has been restored (drive wiped, windows re-installed) twice since it came home from ahem, Best Buy, but I can't its owner to see the light, which is too bad. Life is good on this side of the fence.



    P.S. - it ain't my HP!







    So good luck MS, I'm sure someone will shop in your store, but it won't be me.
  • Reply 284 of 325
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Do you think the Burger King fanboys bash every new McDonalds for copying their stores and vice versa?



    Uh, no this is like Ruth's Chris Steakhouse fanboys bashing every new McDonalds for advertising McRib sandwiches.
  • Reply 285 of 325
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,516member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    The AppleTV has not been great, but it?s no worse than any other dedicated media appliance on the market. It looks like things have changed enough that Apple may actually know how to make the next iteration a success. They certainly can?t drop it altogether without losing the living room. The only other option is to work out deals to get the AppleTV OS on other companies, but that doesn?t seem likely.



    Everybody needs to realize that the trouble with ALL of these video media devices is not technological. The problem is that the CONTENT IS STILL CONTROLLED BY THE STUDIOS, and they'll be damned if they give over as easily as the recording studios did. Of course, give technology a couple more years to make bandwidth and hard drives sufficient to make video piracy a no-brainer, and they'll be singing a different tune. THAT's when it will pay off for Apple and others to have had its foot in the door enough to garner some mindshare. Bottom line: the video wars right now are purely about mindshare. The control is still with the content owners. That will eventually change, and then we can stop bashing the device makers for being so lame.



    Thompson
  • Reply 286 of 325
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post


    I'm embarrassed for Microsoft. Its ok to imitate another company a little bit, but it appears that every store detail has been copied from Apple, including the clear glass fronts & even the light colored wood floor. What that tells me is that even the Microsoft retail store designer staff can't innovate or create new & fresh ideas. How pathetic. To copy Apple directly like that on the smallest details, is Microsoft's own confirmation that they are hopeless. If Apple disbanded & all of the employees went away, Microsoft 'innovators' would be trying to decide where to take MS into the future: "now, should we go with multi-colored computers or beige?"



    No you wrong with one detail the "blue screen" is a brand image of MS alone, Apple will never try and take that image away
  • Reply 287 of 325
    Well, it doesn't look exactly like the leaked Microsoft store concept sketch I saw, but it's hard to tell with the crowd inside.



    It'll be fascinating to see whether the crowds stay in the months ahead, and whether the "open right next door to Apple stores" results in some fun head-butting between the companies.
  • Reply 288 of 325
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post


    Everybody needs to realize that the trouble with ALL of these video media devices is not technological. The problem is that the CONTENT IS STILL CONTROLLED BY THE STUDIOS, and they'll be damned if they give over as easily as the recording studios did. Of course, give technology a couple more years to make bandwidth and hard drives sufficient to make video piracy a no-brainer, and they'll be singing a different tune. THAT's when it will pay off for Apple and others to have had its foot in the door enough to garner some mindshare. Bottom line: the video wars right now are purely about mindshare. The control is still with the content owners. That will eventually change, and then we can stop bashing the device makers for being so lame.



    Thompson



    You so wrong. Apple is controlling the content on the Apple TV. Why are my files listed at the bottom of the menus and why is search throwing me into the iTunes Store to buy more Apple DRM? Why can't I rent or buy from anywhere else? iTunes catalogue is extremely limited for FILM.

    The APPleTV is a 3 year old Flop which was supposed to be in everyone's home , not Blu-ray. It's DEAD. 3 years old and sill a "HOBBY" - WHAT A JOKE!
  • Reply 289 of 325
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Surely the MS store has the same flaw as the MS ads: Everyone who would visit an Apple store already knows what MS do. Many who would visit an MS store would be first timers in an Apple store.



    It's a win-lose for Apple-Microsoft marketing.
  • Reply 290 of 325
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    You so wrong. Apple is controlling the content on the Apple TV. Why are my files listed at the bottom of the menus and why is search throwing me into the iTunes Store to buy more Apple DRM? Why can't I rent or buy from anywhere else? iTunes catalogue is extremely limited for FILM.

    The APPleTV is a 3 year old Flop which was supposed to be in everyone's home , not Blu-ray. It's DEAD. 3 years old and sill a "HOBBY" - WHAT A JOKE!



    Who forced you to buy one?

    It was far more limited when it was released, but yet you still bought one.

    All those upgrades you have had for free, some people are never happy.
  • Reply 291 of 325
    No kidding. The layout, the staff t-shirts and the thing hanging from their necks. How original. Kinda makes MS lose whatever credibility they have left, eh?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9Hk0...layer_embedded



    BLATANT copying of Apple. It's just pathetic now.



  • Reply 292 of 325
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    I seem to be missing something here.....



    Is techstud a moderator or does he have total immunity.



    His posts I have read here and in other threads are very rude and frequenty ofensive, but nothing seems to be done about it. Are there double standards at AppleInsider?



    Bill
  • Reply 293 of 325
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post


    Burger King fanboys, funny...



    Although McDonalds and Burger King have a lobby leading to a cashier that has a menu board of food items, that once you get your meal and go to the dining room area and sit at a "booth" or table with chairs to eat, you look around at the aesthetics and that's where McDonalds and Burger King try to make the "same" into their own "atmosphere".



    Whereas with Apple and MS, you have Apple for the most part introducing innovations and MS following their lead with a over hyped similar product...



    Apple Mac OS X aqua, widgets, etc. - MS OS Vista aero, gadgets, etc.

    Apple iPod and ITMS - MS Zune the Social, the Marketplace

    Apple iPhone - MS Pink

    Apple retail stores - MS retail stores with the same Apple flare



    It seems MS is styling its products so much so to mimic Apple's that I guess they hope to confuse the consumer and therefore MS will be satisfied with the crumbs (in sales) that fall off Apple's table (of success)!



    Someone help me out...



    What is it called when someone can't just be themselves but has to emulate someone else in mannerisms, dress, looks, actions, deeds, etc. in order to feel accepted? Wouldn't a Psychologist believe them to be suffering from poor self-esteem?! Maybe they should see a psychiatrists because they can prescribe medication. Lord know some of the MS execs can use a chill pill every now and then!



    I just felt that I needed to correct something here. Just like Microsoft copies Apple in some cases, whether or not you choose to believe it, Apple also copies Microsoft.



    The finder sidebar, two years after Windows had it.

    The path bar OSX 10.5, about 1 year after Windows had it.

    Back AND Forward navigation buttons in folders OSX 10.2, Windows had it in Windows 2000.

    Documents minimizing into the app icon instead of creating a new icon OSX 10.6, Windows has been doing it for a while with the taskbar.

    Screen sharing with remote desktop 10.4, Windows has been doing it since the launch of XP and even created a free Mac version that did this before Apple included it in an OS.

    Backup and restore, Windows had it first.

    Putting all the systems preferences in one place 10.0, ever since Windows had a control panel they were there.





    The list goes on and on and on. You can also compile a list about things Apple's OS had first that Microsoft copied.



    The bottom line is, I guess it just depends on how objective you are, and if you are willing to seek out all the facts, and not just the facts that back up your personal beliefs.



    Both of these companies have been copying good ideas from the other one for quite some time now, it's not a one way street.
  • Reply 294 of 325
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Jerk - Was your city / country ever directly attacked like ours was?. We're still in the middle of a war for our beliefs. What does up there believe in besides Maple Syrup and the Queen?



    In the UK we have been targets of terrorisim for many, many years, much of it funded by the New York Irish community. I have experienced 2 IRA bombs first hand (Manchester and Warrington).



    It is easy to poke fun at others, but you also have to be sensitive and thoughtfull about what you say because often it can make you look silly / angry / ignorant.



    I suspect there were many Canadians lost in the 9/11 attacks, and remember these are not the first terror acts in the world and the USA is not the only county to suffer.



    It does pain me sometimes to see the USA making out as though they are the only ones to suffer loss from terror. Many thousands have died around the world from terror attacks, it did not all start on 9/11. Yes it was a terrible day for the world. It is just that the USA seem to have missed the many other terrible days that happened before 9/11.



    1945

    Aug. 6, Aug. 9, Nagasaki and Hiroshima, Japan: Altogether, the two bombings killed an estimated 110,000 Japanese citizens and injured another 130,000. By 1950, another 230,000 Japanese had died from injuries or radiation.



    1945

    Jan. 30, Baltic Sea: Nazi passenger ship Wilhelm Gustloff, carrying German refugees and soldiers, was torpedoed by a Soviet submarine. As many as 9,000 to 10,000 may have died. World's largest marine disaster.



    1949

    Aug. 5, Ecuador: An area of some 1,500 square miles was struck by an earthquake measuring 6.75 magnitude. 6,000 people were killed and about 100,000 people were made homeless from the area at Ambato and four other towns.



    1960

    Oct. 10, East Pakistan: Cyclone and tidal wave killed about 6,000.



    1944

    Jun. 29, off the coast of Japan: Japanese troop ship carrying troops and crew was torpedoed by American submarine USS Sturgeon. An estimated 5,400 to 5,600 sailors were killed.



    2004

    Apr. 22, Ryongchon, North Korea: Two fuel trains collided at a North Korean railroad station near the Chinese border, igniting a deafening explosion that rained debris for more than 10 miles around, South Korean media said. As many as 3,000 people may have been killed or injured.



    1889

    May 31, Johnstown, Pa.: More than 2,200 died in flood after South Fork Dam of the Little Conemaugh River collapsed, causing a wall of water 40 feet high.



    1984

    Dec. 3, Bhopal, India: Toxic gas, methyl isocyanate, seeped from Union Carbide insecticide plant, killed more than 2,000, injured about 150,000.



    1944

    Oct. 24, South China Sea: the Arisan Maru carrying 1,800 American prisoners was torpedoed by a U.S. submarine and sunk. The Japanese destroyer escort rescued Japanese military and civilian personnel and left the POWs to their fate. It is estimated that only ten prisoners survived the disaster.



    1990

    Jul. 2, Mecca, Saudi Arabia: a stampede in a 1,800 foot-long pedestrian tunnel leading from Mecca to a tent city for pilgrims killed 1,426 pilgrims who were trampled to death.
  • Reply 295 of 325
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post


    I seem to be missing something here.....



    Is techstud a moderator or does he have total immunity?



    His posts I have read here and in other threads are very rude and frequenty ofensive, but nothing seems to be done about it. Are there double standards at AppleInsider?



    Bill



    William- Neither. I have received my share of warnings. However, just because I may something you don't agree with or written in a manner you might not like, I never resort to ugly and rude personal attacks like those hurled at me left and right. Put me on your ignore list.
  • Reply 296 of 325
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post


    In the UK we have been targets of terrorisim for many, many years, much of it funded by the New York Irish community. I have experienced 2 IRA bombs first hand (Manchester and Warrington).



    It is easy to poke fun at others, but you also have to be sensitive and thoughtfull about what you say because often it can make you look silly / angry / ignorant.



    I suspect there were many Canadians lost in the 9/11 attacks, and remember these are not the first terror acts in the world and the USA is not the only county to suffer.



    It does pain me sometimes to see the USA making out as though they are the only ones to suffer loss from terror. Many thousands have died around the world from terror attacks, it did not all start on 9/11. Yes it was a terrible day for the world. It is just that the USA seem to have missed the many other terrible days that happened before 9/11.



    1945

    Aug. 6, Aug. 9, Nagasaki and Hiroshima, Japan: Altogether, the two bombings killed an estimated 110,000 Japanese citizens and injured another 130,000. By 1950, another 230,000 Japanese had died from injuries or radiation.



    1945

    Jan. 30, Baltic Sea: Nazi passenger ship Wilhelm Gustloff, carrying German refugees and soldiers, was torpedoed by a Soviet submarine. As many as 9,000 to 10,000 may have died. World's largest marine disaster.



    1949

    Aug. 5, Ecuador: An area of some 1,500 square miles was struck by an earthquake measuring 6.75 magnitude. 6,000 people were killed and about 100,000 people were made homeless from the area at Ambato and four other towns.



    1960

    Oct. 10, East Pakistan: Cyclone and tidal wave killed about 6,000.



    1944

    Jun. 29, off the coast of Japan: Japanese troop ship carrying troops and crew was torpedoed by American submarine USS Sturgeon. An estimated 5,400 to 5,600 sailors were killed.



    2004

    Apr. 22, Ryongchon, North Korea: Two fuel trains collided at a North Korean railroad station near the Chinese border, igniting a deafening explosion that rained debris for more than 10 miles around, South Korean media said. As many as 3,000 people may have been killed or injured.



    1889

    May 31, Johnstown, Pa.: More than 2,200 died in flood after South Fork Dam of the Little Conemaugh River collapsed, causing a wall of water 40 feet high.



    1984

    Dec. 3, Bhopal, India: Toxic gas, methyl isocyanate, seeped from Union Carbide insecticide plant, killed more than 2,000, injured about 150,000.



    1944

    Oct. 24, South China Sea: the Arisan Maru carrying 1,800 American prisoners was torpedoed by a U.S. submarine and sunk. The Japanese destroyer escort rescued Japanese military and civilian personnel and left the POWs to their fate. It is estimated that only ten prisoners survived the disaster.



    1990

    Jul. 2, Mecca, Saudi Arabia: a stampede in a 1,800 foot-long pedestrian tunnel leading from Mecca to a tent city for pilgrims killed 1,426 pilgrims who were trampled to death.



    Poke fun of others? Dude, Gazoobee compared the USA to Nazi Germany for crissake! Please critique your own antiquated Queendom. If any country at all has a hstory of terrorism, it's your own. Where's you listing of all the atrocities in World history committed in the name of your Kings and /or Queens?



    Finally, 9/11/09 was an attack on US soil and nowhere else. Your house of cards with all your lists has just collapsed.
  • Reply 297 of 325
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    [...] and AppleInsider has exclusive photos, video and details from the grand opening event.



    Yeah? Where are they then?
  • Reply 298 of 325
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Poke fun of others? Dude, Gazoobee compared the USA to Nazi Germany for crissake! Please critique your own antiquated Queendom. If any country at all has a hstory of terrorism, it's your own. Where's you listing of all the atrocities in World history committed in the name of your Kings and /or Queens?



    Finally, 9/11/09 was an attack on US soil and nowhere else. Your house of cards with all your lists has just collapsed.



    To be frank USA and UK are the same, never had a good reputation at resolving issues and most times, actually cause more harm then good, e.g. Israel - UK selling of the land to Jewish community via USA.



    BUT I would not play down 9/11, since it first time terrorism had reached such terrible highs and involved so many innocent people.



    Any back to apple discussion.
  • Reply 299 of 325
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    Apples shares are based on Steve Jobs staying alive.



    Your answer on Premium is total BS because you can't come up with a real answer because the fact is Apple doesn't make anything premium compared to anyone else.



    Why are you here on these forums? maybe you should go over to the microsoft forums and enjoy life there. Obviously something is eating at you, maybe you're hating for no real reason?
  • Reply 300 of 325
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post


    To be frank USA and UK are the same, never had a good reputation at resolving issues and most times, actually cause more harm then good, e.g. Israel - UK selling of the land to Jewish community via USA.



    BUT I would not play down 9/11, since it first time terrorism had reached such terrible highs and involved so many innocent people.



    Any back to apple discussion.



    Sorry my friend, but you're comparing poilcy as opposed to philosphy. We couldn't be more different than that Kingdom of Royals with their socialist health care system.

    The only royal we have is a Royale with Cheese and that's seved in EU.
Sign In or Register to comment.