Apple targets 3 new Get a Mac ads at Windows 7 (with videos)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
As promised, Apple has released three new Get a Mac ads targeting Microsoft's launch of Windows 7 as a good opportunity to abandon Microsoft.

Last week, Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president for Worldwide Product Marketing, said the impending launch of Windows 7 would present a "good opportunity" for Apple to make market share gains.

Schiller said that in particular, the upgrade process from Windows XP to Windows 7 is something that consumers will likely find unpleasant: "Any user that reads all those steps is probably going to freak out. If you have to go through all that, why not just buy a Mac?"

The new ads can be viewed on Apple's site or below via YouTube; Google's inline videos are best experienced using ClickToFlash to view the videos directly.

Broken Promises

Teeter Tottering

PC News

Comments

• Reply 1 of 371
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    "Trust Me" s very effective in getting its message across.

it will be interesting to see if Apple can peel away some XP users.

also if Apple launches the new iTab in the next few weeks to grab the spotlight away from Windows.
  • Reply 2 of 371
    The broken promises ad I saw on TV, awesome. If anything that hit home probably with a lot of ppl.

The others, eh, not so much.
  • Reply 3 of 371
    I think Apple should just ignore Windows 7.

But, what do I know.
  • Reply 4 of 371
    BTW,

NONE of these commercials have ever been intended for the geeks that frequent the Apple or Windows blogs.

NONE.

These commercials are geared for the masses, to whom these "commercials" resonate, as is evidenced by the continued growth of all things Apple.

"This IS a commercial"......love it!!!
  • Reply 5 of 371
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

it will be interesting to see if Apple can peel away some XP users.

I think Apple will continue to snag their usual 50% new to Macs, but I am certain MS will report their fastest and largest sale of Windows in history. I think Apple may even lose a little OS marketshare this holiday quarter despite once again having record Mac sales. I think the recession and impending Win release has made a lot of people hold of on their Windows purchases.
  • Reply 6 of 371
    These are good, possibly better than what we've seen in recent months. I think the idea that pushing the idea that changing to Windows 7 means "moving", hence why not move to Mac is a good idea.

The thing is, I just can't help but feel a little bored by them. They feel like they have been going long enough that they did exist at the Windows 2 introduction! I'd like to see something fresh from Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 371
    macs are still to expensive for the average customer. When the new macbook pros and recently the imacs came out, sales at my work were pretty much the same as any other day. today windows 7 was released and we were over 300% of budget for pcs.... what does this say i wonder....
  • Reply 8 of 371
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fbrider View Post

macs are still to expensive for the average customer. When the new macbook pros and recently the imacs came out, sales at my work were pretty much the same as any other day. today windows 7 was released and we were over 300% of budget for pcs.... what does this say i wonder....

I dunno . . . my two Macs were part of the 3M sold this past quarter. After being a "loyal" (read: captured) XP user, I made the shift even before W7 (didn't even bother with Vista). Had no faith in MS, no desire to continue to support the monopoly and went back to my roots and have been quite a satisfied customer. Overpriced? That's for us consumers to decide and 3M of us were quite happy to pay what we paid for a quality machine. Call me a fanboy, I could care less.
  • Reply 9 of 371
    Quote:

Microsoft haven't released anything worth buying for 8 years?
  • Reply 10 of 371
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    These are humorous ads-but will this counter the publicity that microsoft has put out, and all the PC writers are saying,"W7 is almost as good as a Mac"? ( and which Mac? the 128, IIci, PowerPC?-because even the 128 was better than a POS PC)
  • Reply 11 of 371
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson;

These are good, possibly better than what we've seen in recent months. I think the idea that pushing the idea that changing to Windows 7 means "moving", hence why not move to Mac is a good idea.

The thing is, I just can't help but feel a little bored by them. They feel like they have been going long enough that they did exist at the Windows 2 introduction! I'd like to see something fresh from Apple.

If these were viewable on an iPhone I would have seen them, but alas... (even at the Apple site they won't play on my phone!)

I have felt the get a Mac ads have been getting a little long in the tooth for a while now. I gotta say I think many of the recent MS ads have been good. The ones with the kids doing simple but fun tasks are very effective. Very upbeat and positive. There is a new one of a proud dad proudly showing off his new Windows 7 home (networking) installation. It hits a good note.
  • Reply 12 of 371
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:

Schiller said that in particular, the upgrade process from Windows XP to Windows 7 is something that consumers will not likely find unpleasant

I don't think that's quite what he said.
  • Reply 13 of 371
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think Apple will continue to snag their usual 50% new to Macs, but I am certain MS will report their fastest and largest sale of Windows in history. I think Apple may even lose a little OS marketshare this holiday quarter despite once again having record Mac sales. I think the recession and impending Win release has made a lot of people hold of on their Windows purchases.

correct, there has to be pent-up demand from folks with older XP PC's who have been waiting for W7. that concentrated PC replacement cycle will temporarily boost Win market share. but the overall PC user total still is flat. whereas apple's user total has been steadily growing as people switch (few switch the other way) even during the recession.
  • Reply 14 of 371
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:

It says your first post smells of rank and don't say "trust me" because I won't.
  • Reply 15 of 371
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Hate to be the burden of bad news for mac zealots but Windows 7 is pure amazing and this is coming from someone who did upgrade to Vista and MacBook sitting in the other room on Snow Leopard.

My new quad core PC I just built (720 bucks total assembled by me) would blow the hinges off the new iMac and now with Windows 7 the argument about Mac having a better os has been squashed (not that it was really any better in my eyes).

Don't knock it till you try it is all I'll say, and I personally know 12 people who upgraded to 7 alone, and since students can get 7 for 30 bucks with a school email, sales are going to be IMMENSE.

And on another note maybe Apple should actually try to advertise their own product for a change, I heard more talk about Windows than I did Mac...When companies have a better product they don't need to attack the competition (iPhone ads) but when their scared of another product they have to go on the offensive just to get attention they can't get on their own merits (every Mac ad, Droid ad)
  • Reply 16 of 371
    Quote:

correct. about 3/4 of consumers can't afford to spend over $1000 for a laptop or desktop. so nearly all buy PC's, except for Apple fans. but the other 1/4 can and Mac gets a big share of that market. they can afford more Apple accessories too.

no one knew Apple was about to unveil such snazzy new iMacs. so there wouldn't be a sudden rush of people waiting to buy it. unlike Win 7 PC's. there are higher income folks right now tho thinking about whether to get a high-end W7 PC, like HP Touchsmart, or a new iMac. these new iMac's will win a lot of those over. no matter what Windows does, expect record iMac sales this quarter.

now a lot of folks are waiting for a new Apple tablet, which almost everyone expects soon. if that were announced you would see a big burst of first day sales.
  • Reply 17 of 371
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Hate to be the burden of bad news for mac zealots but Windows 7 is pure amazing and this is coming from someone who did upgrade to Vista and MacBook sitting in the other room on Snow Leopard.

My new quad core PC I just built (720 bucks total assembled by me) would blow the hinges off the new iMac and now with Windows 7 the argument about Mac having a better os has been squashed (not that it was really any better in my eyes).

Well first is your PC more quiet than the new iMac? Second, is your screen bigger than the iMac? Third, did your PC come with a wireless Magic Mouse and wireless keyboard? Fourth, is your PC environmentally friendly? Fifth, how long do you think your PC's lifetime will be? Personally I'm tired of naming things but hopefully I made my point.
  • Reply 18 of 371
    Quote:

Don't knock it till you try it is all I'll say, and I personally know 12 people who upgraded to 7 alone, and since students can get 7 for 30 bucks with a school email, sales are going to be IMMENSE.)

Hey there ifail, hate to tell you but a lot of us have been using Windows 7 for months now and are neither impressed nor scared. We're used to pure amazing.
  • Reply 19 of 371
    Quote:

Don't knock it till you try it is all I'll say, and I personally know 12 people who upgraded to 7 alone, and since students can get 7 for 30 bucks with a school email, sales are going to be IMMENSE.

And on another note maybe Apple should actually try to advertise their own product for a change, I heard more talk about Windows than I did Mac...When companies have a better product they don't need to attack the competition (iPhone ads) but when their scared of another product they have to go on the offensive just to get attention they can't get on their own merits (every Mac ad, Droid ad)

actually Mac ads have been attacking/lampooning Windows consistently for years now. all while Mac sales have been growing significantly thanks to "switchers." which unarguably proves it works if done well (and Apple offers good alternatives to buy). the real test is, does the critique "stick"?

glad you enjoy your hobby PC. you're right, $30 is probably a fair price for this Vista upgrade. but everyone else is getting screwed price-wise. check out:

http://gcn.com/articles/2009/10/26/g...ther-name.aspx
  • Reply 20 of 371
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:

#1. I don't believe anyone who signs up on AI with the user name iFail.

#2. So what if you assembled it yourself. Maybe 10 years ago that would be fairly time consuming but it's so easy to assemble PCs now. I've assembled many PCs and got them up and running within 15 minutes. If you're dealing with cheap cases/towers they usually prove to be more of a hassle than the internal hardware.

#3. On another note, maybe MS should try to be innovative and not follow in Apple's footsteps.

Got news for you... McDonalds sales are 'immense'. Notice their '25 gazillion served' signs? It means jack squat... Those hamburgers are probably the worst thing for you.

I'd take a gourmet Hawaiian hamburger made at Mauna Loa Bobs over McDonalds billion sales burger any day. And yep the gourmet burger will be 3 times the price and it will taste like it too.