Apple's Boot Camp will not support Windows 7 on some 2006 Macs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

ROFLMMFAO!

Those are unicorn tears, right?

Seriously, who cares whether Vista SP2 or Win7 runs on 3 -year old Macs? or any macs, for that matter.

I care. I have one of these macs. I bought it so I could dual boot and now that win 7 is out I'll want to try it. I'm not too worried as I'm sure there'll be a way to make whatever the bug is work, with Windows there always is. It just won't be mac simple, and I'm sure whoever does bootcamp has the job of making windows mac simple and I feel for them.

I know that Apple likes to call older macs obsolete fast, but mine is 3 years old. Better be careful with that or some of us may start home brewing.
  • Reply 42 of 67
    So 2.66GHz, or 3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors are not supported.

Anybody has an idea if the other two original configurations are supported?

Two 3.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors

Two 2.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors
  • Reply 43 of 67
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    You'll eventually be able to install Win 7.

But really, who cares.
  • Reply 44 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

jeffharris

Actually, VirtualBox allows you to install Windows on an ETERNAL hard drive.

Quote:

Wow - that sounds like an impressive warranty! It never, ever crashes? (Ever?)

LOL EXTERNAL
  • Reply 45 of 67
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    I'm guessing they all use 32-bit EFI.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I'm guessing they all use 32-bit EFI.

It's not. None of the Mac Minis (Core Duo or Core Solo) of the era are listed. Neither are any of the standard white or black Core Duo Macbooks that came out in 2006 (all with Intel graphics). All these machines have 32-bit processors and EFIs.

This is likely a driver issue, not an outright "age of the machines" issue.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    Apple's other Pro apps a first-rate, best in class.

I don't see why aperture can't be the same. Imagine if Apple released a "creative suite" to compete with Adobe? Would be interesting. Apple can draw on a rich legacy of DTP and graphical skill. Apple has all the experience in the world to do this.
  • Reply 48 of 67
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I don't see why aperture can't be the same. Imagine if Apple released a "creative suite" to compete with Adobe? Would be interesting. Apple can draw on a rich legacy of DTP and graphical skill. Apple has all the experience in the world to do this.

The thread you're looking for is over here.
  • Reply 49 of 67
    Quote:

The thread you're looking for is over here.

Damnit. LOL.
  • Reply 50 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to the announcement, a series of Mac models "will not be supported for use with Windows 7 using Boot Camp," specifically:

**?*iMac (17-inch, Early 2006)

**?*iMac (17-inch, Late 2006)

**?*iMac (20-inch, Early 2006)

**?*iMac (20-inch, Late 2006)

**?*MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2006)

**?*MacBook Pro (17-inch, Late 2006)

**?*MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2006)

**?*MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2006)

**?*Mac Pro (Mid 2006, Intel Xeon Dual-core 2.66GHz or 3GHz)

Does this contradict Apple's support policy? I haven't read the EULA for software on BootCamp or Snow Leopard, but many of these models - most notably the Mac Pro - were sold well into 2007 or 2008, which makes them much less than 3 years old and out of APP, let alone 5/7 years for vintage/obsolete status. Could be room for a legal battle if the EULA isn't carefully written.
  • Reply 51 of 67
    This type of support from Apple will not kill Apple, but in a few years, they will not be able to maintain it.

I am not surprised that the more hardcore people on this site do not mind, as I doubt anyone would be, but I think that if people think about this realistically, then they will understand that the regular customers will not appreciate rapid fire, forced upgrades.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nr23

Boot W7 direct and install NVIDIA drivers from NVIDIA directory.

As some people have pointed out, you can get around it with a little bit of effort, but the company line is ease of use. Not everyone wants to use Windows, but it is certainly reasonable to consider someone was given a company machine and instructed to install Windows 7 (down the road; not right now, I would imagine).

For everyone saying that it is out of warranty from AppleCare, that is not true for some places. Some school campuses have 4 year AppleCare warranties (I know that Virginia Tech did), so by not supporting a system that they heavily control, they are just coming across as lazy, money-pocketing elitists. Besides, I would expect that even after 1 year out-of-warranty, that I could still have a computer that amounts to more than a hold-me-over until I can buy another one (I say this as a person that buys a computer after less than a year, but I hang onto the older parts/computers and give them to friends/family in many cases).

Don't get me wrong, I agree that these computers are old and probably should be phased out of the market, but by not even allowing a basic reason to purchase the computer--BootCamp--to work on the computer out of laziness, for the most part, seems ridiculous.
  • Reply 52 of 67
    I'm pretty sure my MBP 1,1 would meltdown to its silicon with Boot Camp and Vista/XP or with VMware. Not shedding any tears -- I have no business running Windows on my laptop and I can't see how anyone would run it stably.
  • Reply 53 of 67
    snafusnafu Posts: 37member
    Frankly, it's becoming more and more irritating how Apple is letting the then top of the line 2006 Mac Pro rot: stuck in EFI32-land, no GPU upgrading, no OpenCL, no 64bit booting, and now this.
  • Reply 54 of 67
    Just found out I can connect my xbox 360 elite to the new 27" iMac. Nothing else matters.
  • Reply 55 of 67
    I find it rather amusing that Apple slates Windows 7 in its series of ads, and then announces support for it shortly after. Seems they're giving off mixed signals by firstly badmouthing it, then secondly endorsing it.
  • Reply 56 of 67
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

I find it rather amusing that Apple slates Windows 7 in its series of ads, and then announces support for it shortly after. Seems they're giving off mixed signals by firstly badmouthing it, then secondly endorsing it.

Whatever brings in revenue. If a working Windows will persuade people to buy a Mac who's Apple not to help them to part with their hard-earned dollars?
  • Reply 57 of 67
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snafu View Post

Frankly, it's becoming more and more irritating how Apple is letting the then top of the line 2006 Mac Pro rot: stuck in EFI32-land, no GPU upgrading, no OpenCL, no 64bit booting, and now this.

It's the old Apple giveth and Apple taketh away policy- they've been using it for years. How else are they to turn profit unless their 10% base repeatedly buys over and over and over?
  • Reply 58 of 67
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apsynknod View Post

Just found out I can connect my xbox 360 elite to the new 27" iMac. Nothing else matters.

A Windows/Apple love machine?
  • Reply 59 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

Whatever brings in revenue. If a working Windows will persuade people to buy a Mac who's Apple not to help them to part with their hard-earned dollars?

It's just a double standard. If they are going to slate Windows in their ads, they should at least have the balls to stand by the courage of their convictions, and not support Windows 7.
  • Reply 60 of 67
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

It's just a double standard. If they are going to slate Windows in their ads, they should at least have the balls to stand by the courage of their convictions, and not support Windows 7.

Such naivety, how cute. Apple has one and only one conviction: Making money. Everything else, including the messages conveyed in the ads, are the means to that end. If that means badmouthing your competitor while still offering people the reassurance that they can go back to Windows if they want to, then so be it. If Jobs doing pole dancing will increase revenue, guess who'll appear next in a string tanga...