Apple's new Magic Mouse disassembled with pictures

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The reason many people use gelled wrist rests is that the mice they are using are too big -- i.e., too tall -- so they need the wrist rest to get their hand up to the right level. The low profile of the new MM seems perfect for eliminating the need for these. I'd say the new mouse is a knockout, except that it looks more transgenic.

I use my gelled rest just to rest my wrist. Not because mouse is too big.

Even with lowest profile mouse your wrist is otherwise in the air and has more stress than with rest.
  • Reply 122 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

I agree... but bluetooth mice have amazing battery life. Apple is claiming 4 month. I presume that is with alkalines. Use lithium cells and you'll get even more life and the mouse will be a lot lighter too.

I presume 4 months with lithiums, because that's what it ships with.

But unchargeable batteries are bad ecologically and with NiMH batteries mighty mouse is heavy. They should have changed to AAA size or Li-ion.
  • Reply 123 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

In 3 months, everyone will be rushing copies of this design to the market. Some of them may work better than Apple's, which is fine, but I think the non-ergonomic charges will fade away like breath on a cold morning.

I'm not so sure about that. Apple has lots of patents in it.

I have waited for years for other manufacturers to implement 360 degree scroll ball, but somehow there's none...

I prefer the ball a great deal more than just 2 separate wheels for each axis.
  • Reply 124 of 129
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Perhaps to some people they are. The trade-off is really the speed that one can achieve with a mouse. You'll find that someone with a mouse will usually be much faster at moving the pointer cursor than someone with a trackball.

I hate trackpads and trackballs because they're slow and inefficient compared to the mouse (which may be less ergonomic that a trackball) which feels like a natural extension of the arm.

Trackballs aren't slow. I can flick the mouse across the screen in an instant, without worrying about popping off the pad or the edge of the table, or into something on the table. The precision of using the ball is much greater than moving a mouse.
  • Reply 125 of 129
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toke lahti View Post

I presume 4 months with lithiums, because that's what it ships with.

But unchargeable batteries are bad ecologically and with NiMH batteries mighty mouse is heavy. They should have changed to AAA size or Li-ion.

There are lots of battery powered mice on the market, and all are heavier than one with no batteries.

The choice of battery depends on what is viewed as more important. A larger capacity battery(s) doesn't have to be changed as often.

What would be cool would be a wireless mouse that didn't need a battery, but was powered by the electromagnetic field from its trackpad. That would be the best solution. It wouldn't need much power, as most people are just a few feet away from their computer, assuming it's a tower under the table as mine is. For longer reach, batteries could be used if the lower power from the pad wasn't enough for the transmitter from some longer distance.

The pad could have an on/off switch to conserve power when not needed.
  • Reply 126 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I never understood why people buy things blind without reading a single review. Must be stockholders.

If I thought the product was so great, I'd buy the stock and not the product. :-)
  • Reply 127 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Or yours.

I'm not asking for mine to be taken seriously....
  • Reply 128 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Trackballs aren't slow. I can flick the mouse across the screen in an instant, without worrying about popping off the pad or the edge of the table, or into something on the table. The precision of using the ball is much greater than moving a mouse.

Absolutely. Mice are incredibly inefficient and waste desk space.

Trackballs... actually only some trackballs... are fantastic. The thumb ball ones, like the Logitech, aren't. The best are the ambidextrous ones with a larger, heavier ball, like the Kensington Expert Mouse.

I do CAD work (Vectorworks), which requires some pretty extreme precision and have tried everything as far as input devices go. The best all-around is the Kensington trackball, especially with my dual-monitor setup. I'd be lost without cursor flinging across my 1440 and 1920 pixel displays... that would be a LOT of desktop mousing real estate to traverse and not whack into things with a mouse! When traveling with my MBP, I use a small Wacom tablet.
  • Reply 129 of 129
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Absolutely. Mice are incredibly inefficient and waste desk space.

Trackballs... actually only some trackballs... are fantastic. The thumb ball ones, like the Logitech, aren't. The best are the ambidextrous ones with a larger, heavier ball, like the Kensington Expert Mouse.

That one seems nice.

Quote:

I do CAD work (Vectorworks), which requires some pretty extreme precision and have tried everything as far as input devices go. The best all-around is the Kensington trackball, especially with my dual-monitor setup. I'd be lost without cursor flinging across my 1440 and 1920 pixel displays... that would be a LOT of desktop mousing real estate to traverse and not whack into things with a mouse!

Not really. I also do CAD work. I can fling across the screen with a quick motion of about couple inches (stays well within the mouse pad) and still get pixel accuracy when I move it slowly. On the Mac, USB overdrive helps a lot. Computers interpret mice with two different speeds, if you move slowly, it uses the slower, more precise speed. If you move it quickly, then it uses the faster speed. USB overdrive lets you adjust both speeds on a Mac. There may be other utilities, I recall using one that lets you set the threshold before hitting the accelerated speed.