Help, purple pixles in Lightroom

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello, first time forum user and new to Mac (one year). I have Lightroom installed on my Imac G5, 1.83ghz, 17in. When importing pictures, purple pixels, or fringing show up in some highlight areas. This is not happening in camera, the RAW files and JPEGs look fine. In fact they can be viewed with any OS picture viewer and no purple pixels. Not until Lightroom gets ahold of them do they appear. Could this be display settings or is my Imac just too old for Lightroom? This is happening on windows, people's faces, etc. Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heinzeee View Post

Hello, first time forum user and new to Mac (one year). I have Lightroom installed on my Imac G5, 1.83ghz, 17in. When importing pictures, purple pixels, or fringing show up in some highlight areas. This is not happening in camera, the RAW files and JPEGs look fine. In fact they can be viewed with any OS picture viewer and no purple pixels. Not until Lightroom gets ahold of them do they appear. Could this be display settings or is my Imac just too old for Lightroom? This is happening on windows, people's faces, etc. Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

What you describe sounds remarkably like 'purple fringeing', a.k.a. Chromatic Aberration (or 'C.A.'), an optical shortcoming in your lens(es), that is addressed, among other things, in top-quality model lines like Canon's L series. At a price!

This episode shows you that your iMac G5/LR combo is capable of discerning and displaying such details while your other devices did/could not.

This a problem in your lens(es), not in your computer.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Thanks for the reply. I have been told that this was a problem with my lenses, however, I do not see this fringing when importing to LR on a new Imac at my university. Only on my older mac does this occur.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heinzeee View Post

Thanks for the reply. I have been told that this was a problem with my lenses, however, I do not see this fringing when importing to LR on a new Imac at my university. Only on my older mac does this occur.

If you're importing exactly the same file into that new iMac/LR combo at your university (are you sure?) I'd say your iMac G5/LR combo is apparently more sensitive/capable to show such aberrations than that new iMac/LR combo is.