First look: Apple's redesigned 13-inch unibody MacBook

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kwanbis View Post

One VERY important COST that people seem to forget, is that ALL apple products have INTERNATIONAL WARRANTY.

I was on another country, my macbook failed, and the apple service center replaced the failing part without any cost for me.

Try to get that with the el-cheapo-pcs.

For example, my sister's screen broke. The HP was about 500, and the replacement was 300.

Most reputable vendors of PC's will offer international warranty, but the ease of getting things swapped with Apple from your experience sounds impressively easy.
  • Reply 82 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Most reputable vendors of PC's will offer international warranty, but the ease of getting things swapped with Apple from your experience sounds impressively easy.

On the few cases where i've seen option to add international warranty, that alone doubled the cost of the PC.

Not only my MacBook, buy my sister's iPod was exchanged right away.
  • Reply 83 of 95
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I can't imagine the remote sensor being too expensive or complicated, so I wonder if it's an admission that most people don't use the thing? I'm surprised they didn't axe the little iSight thing. It always seemed like a gimmick anyways.

Back away from the iSight thing ... how else can I video chat, n/c with skype, to someone in Japan, for instance? .. Tele-a-conferencing, same thing. No, I love my iSight.
  • Reply 84 of 95
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Back away from the iSight thing ... how else can I video chat, n/c with skype, to someone in Japan, for instance? .. Tele-a-conferencing, same thing. No, I love my iSight.

People do use it, and there are good uses for it. But I'm skeptical that a significant proportion of owners use it. At least it's not in the way, and it has to be pretty cheap to include, so I don't have a problem with it being there. But if I made a habit of using it, I would probably be using some kind of camcorder for it, because what is included is not a very good camera.
  • Reply 85 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I know, I have a Ducati (poor man's Ferrari) and do it all the time!

Don't worry about it .... I have a car (no free ads here) that would have to move up in class to be a 'poor man's Ducati." \
  • Reply 86 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreadkid08 View Post

Pricing it $699 or so would have been an incredibly smart move.

Smart? ... debatable

Profitable? ... doubtful
  • Reply 87 of 95
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Smart? ... debatable

Profitable? ... doubtful

Looking at their net profit margins, which includes the very profitable iPhone, it looks that anything less than $899 would push them into the razor margins of other vendors. Going for $699 would lose them a lot of money per device? much they?d sure sell a bunch.
  • Reply 88 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jingo View Post

My guess is that this product will fall in price to, say, $799 at some point within the next six months. It smacks to me of aggressive cost-reduction, and I bet their current margins on it at its current price are very high, even for Apple.

You do realize there is no Santa Claus, don't you?
  • Reply 89 of 95
    looking at the pictures about the new Macbook on apple.com as well as in this AI article there's a grey thing looks like IR port, exactly on the same place on the front side where it can be found on the MBP. Am I wrong?

what is it for if not for IR?
  • Reply 90 of 95
    They look absolutely fantastic. So tempting to get one, but i've just got a MBP
  • Reply 91 of 95
    I can hardly believe that in the UK, the new Macbook is only £100 less than the MBP. I thought the price must be a typo when I first read it.
  • Reply 92 of 95
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lucifuge View Post

I can hardly believe that in the UK, the new Macbook is only £100 less than the MBP. I thought the price must be a typo when I first read it.

The MBP comes with a smaller HDD at this point. 160GB for the MBP v. 250GB for the MB. Still, the price difference would push me to the MBP.
  • Reply 93 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Except that competing PCs don't run OS X. No sale.

That would fall under the heading of "differing features," wouldn't it? As an owner of both Macs and PCs, a growing group of users, I'd like to see comparisons that include more than just Mac to Mac. When Apple's expressed strategy is to prevent anyone else from running OSX and provide a small product line to prevent product overlap, limiting comparisons to only things running OSX doesn't give much perspective for a review. What are we to compare the new Macbook against, then, the iPod Touch?

Limiting reviews to only things running OSX is no better than the pundits who are saying "Windows 7 is the best version of Windows, ever!" No joke, really? If all you are allowed to compare something against is its multi-year-old predecessor due to this logic trap, anything less than glowingly positive reviews is a failure (as with Vista).
  • Reply 94 of 95
    Microcenter is selling white MacBooks (the new one) for $799.00 (after rebate). I went to the store at Cambridge MA and an employee told me they have 170 units at that location. (EDIT: they have over 20 stores in several states. Not many locations but at the least they ship.)

Man, now it became difficult to justify buying MacBook Pro 13". It is really good looking and I do love the aluminum case and the backlit keyboard, but com'on... a smaller disk and now costing, at least, $279 more?!?

http://www.microcenter.com/storefronts/apple
  • Reply 95 of 95
    The MagSafe that comes with the new MacBook seems better designed than the one I saw with the MacBook Pro 13" a few months ago:

(MacBook's MagSafe connector)

http://flickr.com/photos/paipaizoo/2198111126/

(MacBook Pro's MagSafe connector)

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA538LL/B