Finder window opens on boot up

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Using OS X 10.5.8. Every time I boot up a Finder window opens. Can I set Preferences somehow so this does not happen?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Does anyone know how to keep a finder window from opening on restart?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Have you tried trashing your Finder preferences? This will reset Finder to the standard settings, so you may need to reconfigure things (e.g., whether disks are shown on the desktop, what's in the sidebar, etc.) afterwards.

The prefs can be found at ~/library/preferences/com.apple.finder.plist, where "~" represents your home folder.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Have you tried trashing your Finder preferences? This will reset Finder to the standard settings, so you may need to reconfigure things (e.g., whether disks are shown on the desktop, what's in the sidebar, etc.) afterwards.

The prefs can be found at ~/library/preferences/com.apple.finder.plist, where "~" represents your home folder.

I tried that. A Finder window still opened, but this time it opened my Users folder instead of the documents folder.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    1. Make sure the window isn't open when you're restarting/shutting down. Open windows will generally re-appear on boot.

2. Go to System Preferences-->Accounts-->Login Items and make sure the folders are not added here.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    gregggregg Posts: 261member
    1. That was my first thought as well.

2. Doubtful, since the folder opening changed after replacing the plist file.

So, if it wasn't #1, my next curiosity is whether or not this happens when you log in under a different user account. Have you tried that?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I'd check the Finder preferences and look at or change the Finder Window Opens selection (under the General tab). Does the open folder reflect this setting? I'm going to guess that it doesn't.

The Finder stores Desktop settings in invisible files (I'm not talking about preferences, but about the windows opened, location of windows and icons, etc.). I suspect your problem is in this file (.ds_store). You can make these files visible, but I'm not sure if it's safe to trash them. Maybe someone else does.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I'd check the Finder preferences and look at or change the Finder Window Opens selection (under the General tab). Does the open folder reflect this setting? I'm going to guess that it doesn't.

The Finder stores Desktop settings in invisible files (I'm not talking about preferences, but about the windows opened, location of windows and icons, etc.). I suspect your problem is in this file (.ds_store). You can make these files visible, but I'm not sure if it's safe to trash them. Maybe someone else does.

It just stopped happening. I tried a safe boot, then it stopped for some strange reason the next time I rebooted.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghuczek View Post

It just stopped happening. I tried a safe boot, then it stopped for some strange reason the next time I rebooted.

So I figured, what the hell, I'll just use my psychokinetic powers to fix it. You're welcome!