Evidence points to new MacBook Pros on horizon

Comments

• Reply 41 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

Great. New MacBook Pros. The question is: When? January?

Seriously! I was wondering whether or not the current line of MBPs would be replaced any time soon, so I thought to hold off. Now that I know that a new one is likely in the works, it'll be a crazy wait.
  • Reply 42 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hyperscribble View Post

Seriously! I was wondering whether or not the current line of MBPs would be replaced any time soon, so I thought to hold off. Now that I know that a new one is likely in the works, it'll be a crazy wait.

I think it'll pop-up sometime in November alongside the quad-core iMacs.
  • Reply 43 of 134
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrosmash View Post

There are always new MacBook Pros on the horizon.

indeed

but actually you could just say 'there are always new macs on the horizon'

after all we still don't have that must have blu-ray in our machines or that [b]must have [/b/] matte screen. so how long until the rumors start of new machines with those
  • Reply 44 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

indeed

but actually you could just say 'there are always new macs on the horizon'

after all we still don't have that must have blu-ray in our machines or that [b]must have [/b/] matte screen. so how long until the rumors start of new machines with those

i kind of want macbook pros to have blu ray because i'm tired of people complaining it on this forum about it
  • Reply 45 of 134
    intenseintense Posts: 106member
    Ooooh yea ... i love macbook pros

currently using a silver keys penryn 2.5 with the 512MB video card ... i love it the only issue weight factor ... i am using a 13inch latitude dell in school more and i leave my mbp on the desk ... it sucks not to be able to carry it everywhere
  • Reply 46 of 134
    Do the soon-to-be updated MBPs include the 13 inch model? I just got one, so I'm anxious to find out if I should be returning it and waiting for the upgrade.

• Reply 47 of 134
    *hoping for a curvy enclosure a la new MacBook*

-Clive
  • Reply 48 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The mobile C2Q and mobile i7s both run at 45W. The current C2Ds are 35W. But don?t the i7s integrate a chip that uses 8W(?) thereby making them a solid upgrade option for notebooks while keeping within similar TDP?

Maybe but Apple's notebooks are so thin I reckon they'll wait for Arrandale.
  • Reply 49 of 134
    at the very least Apple should update the MBA with the one piece glass track pad and the black border around the screen! That's the only thing holding me back on a purchase...that and the price, of course!
  • Reply 50 of 134
    I'm new to all this, but something tells me that it is something for next year.

Usually, Apple stops taking orders for old models ("your order will be served in 4 weeks") when new ones are about to come out. What if the next MacBook Pro's are upgrade models? More disk, more memory or going from 2.26 GHz to 2.53 GHz for the same processor? Then, it could be something for now.

P.S.: Do I wish that they released something new for the end of the year. I'm on the market for a new laptop (my previous one broke down) and I'm not happy about the current MacBook Pro models (not enough computing power...) I hope I won't have to wait to buy a MacBook now only to see a better MacBook Pro on the shelves in two, three months.
  • Reply 51 of 134
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TroubleStarter View Post

I'm new to all this, but something tells me that it is something for next year.

Usually, Apple stops taking orders for old models ("your order will be served in 4 weeks") when new ones are about to come out. What if the next MacBook Pro's are upgrade models? More disk, more memory or going from 2.26 GHz to 2.53 GHz for the same processor?

The reason speculation is tending toward a redesign rather than a refresh is that Apple has bumped the major revision number on the parts. The current series of MBPs are 5.x, with x currently being 5. The next ones are 6.1 and 6.1b. If this were a minor refresh we'd be seeing 5.6 as a version number rather than 6.1.

Of course, what Apple considers a "major revision" is up for debate. It might simply mean a new motherboard for the new Intel CPUs and chipsets, with everything else largely unchanged. Or, it could mean that they started with a blank sheet of paper.
  • Reply 52 of 134
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

The reason speculation is tending toward a redesign rather than a refresh is that Apple has bumped the major revision number on the parts. The current series of MBPs are 5.x, with x currently being 5. The next ones are 6.1 and 6.1b. If this were a minor refresh we'd be seeing 5.6 as a version number rather than 6.1.

Of course, what Apple considers a "major revision" is up for debate. It might simply mean a new motherboard for the new Intel CPUs and chipsets, with everything else largely unchanged. Or, it could mean that they started with a blank sheet of paper.

The unibody MBP is barely over a year old for 15", the 17" unibody was introduced early this year, and they might already be doing a major design change? They didn't change things that drastically when they had the stamped aluminum housing. I suppose the new design being a series of programs rather than a die makes that easier, but that's quite a shift.

If I had a guess, it's probably a board change, but it's possible to have a major case change.
  • Reply 53 of 134
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

Hope Ant-Glare - Matte Screen never goes away

It won't. It's just returned this year after Apple saw the error of their ways.

Please improve the iSight camera- one of the worse on the market for a Pro computer, make no sense for HD 16:9 display to have such a weak camera. And what is it still doing in the new 27" iMac for that matter? The new iMacs needs better cameras.
  • Reply 54 of 134
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drumrobot View Post

Do the soon-to-be updated MBPs include the 13 inch model? I just got one, so I'm anxious to find out if I should be returning it and waiting for the upgrade.

The specs on the new white Macboook basically match the 13" Pro now, which costs $200 more. Expect the 13" Pro to get a major refresh to differentiate from the whiteBook. I would return it.
  • Reply 55 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to the report, all indications point to two new MacBook Pros with Quad Core Mobile processors and ATI series 4500 GPUs.

So the rest would use bumped Penryns? Not surprising given what happened with the iMac. Going from the iMac I would expect only the top two to get Clarksfield.
  • Reply 56 of 134
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Cool, I hope they now come with 8 GB of RAM in default config (one can always dream ).
  • Reply 57 of 134
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Cool, I hope they now come with 8 GB of RAM in default config (one can always dream ).

Dream? That is just a matter of time, not dreaming. Probably a year or two.
  • Reply 58 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post

Why the suggestion of the Radeon 4500s? That's a step sideways if not backwards. If the new MBPs are going the ATI graphics route, They should be using the midrange 5500/5600 series (which should be out by the time the refresh happens). Or, hell with it, a 4670.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

Normally I'm a supporter of ATI, especially with them on a role since the HD4000 series, but please no. Despite the ever creative marketing names the Mobility HD4500 series is not a mid-range GPU, but a low-end GPU. Even the fastest, HD 4570 is slower than the 9600M GT.

I hate to cut your great post short, but you were not comparing Apples to Apples ('scuse pun). The integrated chipset is the only place nVidia is having the issue with i7, so this is the 9400m in the current MacBooks and MBPs. So the HD4500, if used at all which I doubt, would replace the 9400m, not the 9600M GT.

My guess is that either the MBP will run with an Intel chipset on low power, and continue with the nVidia chipset (probably a 260M @ 38 TDP) as the descreet solution, on performance mode.

Of course, this is all assuming they even go with the i7/i5 chipsets.
  • Reply 59 of 134
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Should we be expecting these before or after christmas?
  • Reply 60 of 134
    I disagree with this article. I don't think there are new Macbook Pros on the horizon.

I think Stevie has something totally new up his sleeve that will render all Macbook Pros obsolete. Some sort of hologram tablet that he developed when he owned NeXT with a touchscreen, single button interface which is a actually cheaper than a max-75 user Asus mini-server, when you figure you can have up to 100 users logged in at a time via holograms. I believe it will come in black, and will be exclusively available with a subscription to AT&T, because OS/11 will be included, and OS/11 is actually a telephone, not an operating system. There will be an all-new BLUETOOTH bezel, no support for FLAC, and glossy screen only, thanks.