Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter does not output video to new iMac

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranson View Post

I just got in the mail my PTC Premium Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter cable from Amazon, to try my Blu-Ray player on the 27" iMac, also no dice. Very disappointed If they can get this working it will mean I no longer need a television in my bedroom. As of right now I have a 27" TV and a 27" iMac side-by-side.

Wait until Spring- Steve Jobs should come to his senses by then with both HDMI and blu-ray.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Does Apple have some sort of lack of foresight and planning problem?

Is this confusion intentional? What does Apple think people are going to want to do?

It must be madness in Cupertino HQ.

Well, Apple did state clearly that video input functionality will require new adapters. Neither a lack of foresight or a planning problem, nor confusion or madness. Just some adapters that do not ship yet. Happens nowhere else I guess?

Quote:

I suspected this was about to occur. Apple faces a real threat from Windows 7 and needs to gain as much market share as possible before Microsoft leverages it's business dominance into the consumer/educational space again like before.

I don't see any price difference though...

Windows 7 has nothing to do with it, Apple has been adjusting the pricing for BTO options at least twice annually for ages (during almost a decade in which MS has not released nothing). Market prices for DDR3 4GB modules came down, C2D CPUs are a bit cheaper now and HDDs/SSDs came down in price as well... this is a regular scheduled price adjustment, nothing else.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    I don't get it. Isn 't an iMac just a bit pricey to be used as a display?

This is like using a luxury sports car to pull a trailer. Some things just aren't right.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    $1800 for that 30" display is the worst joke if there's a 27" computer for $1699. I mean, seriously, who wants to buy that. I guess Apple will sell -3 of those unless they change specs soon.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

This is like using a luxury sports car to pull a trailer. Some things just aren't right.

Apple is a company that has to make a profit .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................................
  • Reply 26 of 63
    I read on another site (sorry no link, cant remember where it was 2 days ago). The case is that all the current adapters are uni-directional as was hinted at in an earlier post in this thread. They had tried a few cables and actually contacted technical support and were told there cables did not support signalling in that direction.

So, nothing to see here, just no bi-directional cables available yet. yawn.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They could have specified when sending incoming signals to the iMac.

No need to quote the whole article.

True, but since DisplayPort v1.2 has not come out yet, I think an argument can be made that it?s still proprietary.

no.

it's open, it's royaltie free, and documented. Manufacturers just need to send TWO letters and accept than apple has nothing to do with their own product.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Well, a lot of my students have iMacs but no TV sets in their rooms. Attach an EyeTV adapter plus a Xbox or PS3 and you are all set... makes sense in these scenarios and cheaper than buying an additional 27" LCD TV (if there is any space for that at all).
  • Reply 29 of 63
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    So, since it doesn't work with adapted signals there are no MDP to MDP cables out there, this isn't currently able to do much.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woode View Post

Um, no. It's not proprietary any more. Says Wikipedia: "On January 13, 2009, VESA announced that Mini DisplayPort would be included in the upcoming DisplayPort 1.2 specification."

As of October 26th, 2009 how many companies use it despite it being freely available?
  • Reply 30 of 63
    AppleInsider, could you please change the title of the article? It's misleading at least... When I saw it in my RSS reader, my heart stopped because I thought Apple's adapter won't let me connect my Samsung LCD to a new iMac as a secondary monitor...

So please make it clear that the problem is with using the iMac as a monitor.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    What dkvannicka said. I thought the same thing.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Well, a lot of my students have iMacs but no TV sets in their rooms. Attach an EyeTV adapter plus a Xbox or PS3 and you are all set... makes sense in these scenarios and cheaper than buying an additional 27" LCD TV (if there is any space for that at all).

That's exactly how I would see this feature being used... for dorm rooms. Sadly, I doubt that the port will let in HDMI or other standard DVI signals. I think this is a "New Apples Only" deal. I really hope I'm wrong because its a VERY cool (and needed since the original iMac!) feature to have so when the comp dies or goes obsolete, the screen can still be used.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Using an iMac as a display will not be such a big deal to me until I go to replace my 27" iMac with the newest. I pray to god that the new one comes with a MDP and I can have dual iMacs running from one machine.

Otherwise, this news sux.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranson View Post

I just got in the mail my PTC Premium Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter cable from Amazon, to try my Blu-Ray player on the 27" iMac, also no dice. Very disappointed If they can get this working it will mean I no longer need a television in my bedroom. As of right now I have a 27" TV and a 27" iMac side-by-side.

You got a Mini DisplayPort -> HDMI adapter. You need a HDMI -> Mini DisplayPort adapter. They aren't interchangeable!
  • Reply 35 of 63
    The adapter they used is not reversible. Ignore this article and its sky-is-falling conclusions.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    Well, once you convert an HDMI signal to DisplayPort, the iMac should work great as a display.

I'm REALLY contemplating getting one to replace my aging CRT TV. It would serve a dual purpose:

1. Beefy Apple TV (Using Front Row)

2. "Headless" Home

You just have to get the right equipment to connect it to a cable box:

http://www.trianglecables.com/hmdi-dviad.html

http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-DVI-to-...r-p-17859.html
  • Reply 37 of 63
    Quote:

Does Apple have some sort of lack of foresight and planning problem?

Is this confusion intentional? What does Apple think people are going to want to do?

It must be madness in Cupertino HQ.

Really? Apple has a lack of foresight and planning? The same Apple that reinvented the mp3 player market, smartphone market, and the same company who everyone else in the existence of the technology industry tries to copy every single time they release a new product?

Case(s) in point:

http://www.zune.net/en-us/products/zunehd/default.htm

http://gizmodo.com/5370592/hp-envy-1...not-duplicated

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win.../?icid=win7van

I don't think Apple has a history or a problem of lacking vision, but acknowledging that fact wouldn't make things nearly as fun for you, I'm sure.

P.S. I could have made my copycat list longer (Dell Adamo, Palm Pre, Blackberry Storm, Android, et al), but didn't want to make it endless.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

So, since it doesn't work with adapted signals there are no MDP to MDP cables out there, this isn't currently able to do much.

As of October 26th, 2009 how many companies use it despite it being freely available?

Apple is selling MDP to MDP cables:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TX...co=MTM1NDEzMjQ
  • Reply 39 of 63
    You folks are asking for convergence of two industries that don't want to. Display Port is the future of monitor standards - VGA -> DVI -> DP. HDMI is the future of television standards - coaxial -> composite -> SVideo -> component -> HDMI. "And ne'r the two shall meet..." as they say.

As others have noted, the adapters out there are unidirectional. WHY Apple didn't release an adapter with the new iMac is beyond me and ranks up there with who thought a single RAM slot in the G4 Mini ws a good idea and the greater mysteries of life. Seems an odd omission as it's pretty obvious that this is their BluRay solution, at least for the time being. People want to watch BluRay on their Macs, so here ya go, BYO player. They just left the part of the equation out that bridges TV components to computer components. Third Party to the rescue, if you give 'em more than the couple of days they've had to work on the solution. Be patient, folks, it's coming.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    lol at the whining in this thread. of course apple has other apple products in mind with the mDP video input into the new iMac.