Tests confirm Apple's 27" iMac only supports DisplayPort input

Comments

• Reply 21 of 149
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

Actually, all the monitors at my work are mounted on movable VESA mounts. Makes adjusting them super simple, and gets them up off the desk.

Adjust for what- glare? Is your work station right below it? Sounds cool- how large are they?
  • Reply 22 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wreckingcue View Post

Based on the display prices I wonder if Apple could seamlessly connect two iMacs together. Two screens with the computers acting as one. How sweet! At work you could have one running windows and the other one running OS X. CTRL-ALT-DEL and your screens switch OSs or integrate the two with Parallels. That would be a smoking hot home computer too instead of a MacPro. They sell twice as many machines.

Two screens and one computer? Or two computers and one screen?

The first is doable with a cable and external monitor, the second with a KVM.

As for integrating with parallels, just use spaces.
  • Reply 23 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

coming from Mr "no X, no purchase" in every thread.

YOu possible got me confused with others, but I'm not surprised.
  • Reply 24 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Adjust for what- glare? Is your work station right below it? Sounds cool- how large are they?

Adjust for the position that suits your comfort level. They're the 24" LED cinema displays.
  • Reply 25 of 149
    bdblackbdblack Posts: 146member
    Adapters are being developed as we speak. Expect to see them on the market soon.

The Altona adapter doesn't work unfortunately because it can't drive enough pixels to run the display. The iMac can't scale the picture so the adapter has to convert the signal and upscale it to match the display. The display only runs at its native resolution.

Hey, at least we have access to the display.
  • Reply 26 of 149
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

YOu possible got me confused with others, but I'm not surprised.

no, i am not confusing you with others.
  • Reply 27 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BDBLACK View Post

Adapters are being developed as we speak. Expect to see them on the market soon.

The Altona adapter doesn't work unfortunately because it can't drive enough pixels to run the display. The iMac can't scale the picture so the adapter has to convert the signal and upscale it to match the display. The display only runs at its native resolution.

The iMac won't automatically scale the image?

Oh well, maybe someone will come out with an adapter that has HDMI input and outputs to MDP and optical audio.
  • Reply 28 of 149
    If I were to use an external bluray drive (like that from Lacie), and use Windows in bootcamp, will I be able to see commercial bluray movies. Of course, the audio will be just stereo, but can it be done?

Have asked this question at various places but did not get a definitive reply. Lacie website says that the computer's video card should be HDCP compliant. What does that mean for these iMacs?
  • Reply 29 of 149
    Quote:

Because they should get it right and just release what people want already. I had to wait 2 years to get an iPhone that was up to spec. I've been waiting 3 + years now for the same with an iMac. What good is 16:9 HD if there nothing to utilize it with. To surf the web- that 's a waste? iTunes DRM crap? Hell no.

Ok what's it intended for today? Make me want it- go on.

You didn't have to wait for anything. Clearly, you are not a target market for Apple. Get over yourself.
  • Reply 30 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by moracity View Post

You didn't have to wait for anything. Clearly, you are not a target market for Apple. Get over yourself.

Wrong.- I waited and I wanted a 13" Pro and have it. I'm just waiting for the speed bump to give it a quad,

Maybe you buy blind and are the real Apple's target , the gullible buyer who keeps buying over and over. Good for you- but don't knock me.
  • Reply 31 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

no, i am not confusing you with others.

Oh ok then, you're just confused. Peace.
  • Reply 32 of 149
    Ok, teckstud, show us on the doll...where did Apple touch you?
  • Reply 33 of 149
    Quote:

Because they should get it right and just release what people want already. I had to wait 2 years to get an iPhone that was up to spec. I've been waiting 3 + years now for the same with an iMac. What good is 16:9 HD if there nothing to utilize it with. To surf the web- that 's a waste? iTunes DRM crap? Hell no.

Ok what's it intended for today? Make me want it- go on.

Download 1080p ripped blu-ray movies from torrent sites and play them using Plex.
  • Reply 34 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LE Studios View Post

Download 1080p ripped blu-ray movies from torrent sites and play them using Plex.

Bingo! I can get into that- reminds me of my old Napster days before iTunes. Boy did I build up a collection I still use. But don't you have the same problems where some files may be corrupt or only half there, etc.
  • Reply 35 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Ok, teckstud, show us on the doll...where did Apple touch you?

Between a rock and a hard place?
  • Reply 36 of 149
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Considering Apple has never EVER given us the ability to use an iMac screen as a display, I consider this feature to be a bonus, however limited it may be.

Sure, it would be nice to use is as a display for any HD source, but Apple doesn't sell products like that. They sell products with specific applications preferably to be used only with other Apple devices.

That's why the AppleTv isn't a DVR and the iMac is not a monitor.
  • Reply 37 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BDBLACK View Post

That's correct, the Atlona converter has been confirmed to not work. Furthermore, there is at least one report that a native DisplayPort output from a PC didn't work and yet another that suggests (somewhat vaguely) that the DVI (???) output from an ATI 5870 video card did work with a simple adapter.

I believe that I read somewhere that the Belkin unit would ship in January.
  • Reply 38 of 149
    @teckstud

I seem to remember...

Do you remember reading awhile back about the display port being an anti-pirate device, in hardware, as an attempt by the content providers and consumer TV/DVD/DVR makers? Maybe this has something to do with that.
  • Reply 39 of 149
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    How dare AAPL think I'd plop down my hard earned $ on a new iMac until the i7 and Blu Ray are standard and all these G1 issues is ironed out.
  • Reply 40 of 149
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anilsudhakaran View Post

Take a hint. Apple doesn't want you to use their products. Why don't you move on to products that give you what you want and stop wasting disk space here.

I have to agree 100% Apple has had a long running habit of dangling a delicious looking candy bar right in front of us but when it get close enough to want to buy it they PUKE all over it. Sorry Apple I'm with teckstud on this one.