Tests confirm Apple's 27" iMac only supports DisplayPort input

Comments

• Reply 41 of 149
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Ok, teckstud, show us on the doll...where did Apple touch you?

lol. thanks for making my monday!
  • Reply 42 of 149
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Considering Apple has never EVER given us the ability to use an iMac screen as a display, I consider this feature to be a bonus, however limited it may be.

The way some of the zombies respond to negative comments I'm quite sure they'd think that we should kiss the ground Steve walks on because he was magnanimous enough to allow the FULL use of ALL the colors the monitor can display instead of constraining it to 16 color or perhaps even grayscale when the iMac 27" is used as a monitor with a DP device.
  • Reply 43 of 149
    Teckstud, sounds like you took the Red Pill.

• Reply 44 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Bingo! I can get into that- reminds me of my old Napster days before iTunes. Boy did I build up a collection I still use. But don't you have the same problems where some files may be corrupt or only half there, etc.

Naw it's 8-15GB MKV files some of these have DTS Audio @ 1.5Mbps!, currently top seeding titles are Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, GI Joe: Rise of Cobra, Star Trek and Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs! I still buy music and what movies I want on my iPhone from iTunes but I'm done with Blu-Ray. I rather download the Blu-ray Rips from torrents before supporting Sony or buying a PS3 which I don't care they lowered the price to $99.99. I got a 24" LED Cinema Display and I say it looks beautiful. If I have the iMac 27" i7 Quad this is what I be watching.
  • Reply 45 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wattsup View Post

That's correct, the Atlona converter has been confirmed to not work. Furthermore, there is at least one report that a native DisplayPort output from a PC didn't work and yet another that suggests (somewhat vaguely) that the DVI (???) output from an ATI 5870 video card did work with a simple adapter.

I believe that I read somewhere that the Belkin unit would ship in January.

The Radeon 5870 has a DisplayPort output. Of course it worked.
  • Reply 46 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BDBLACK View Post

Adapters are being developed as we speak. Expect to see them on the market soon.

The Altona adapter doesn't work unfortunately because it can't drive enough pixels to run the display. The iMac can't scale the picture so the adapter has to convert the signal and upscale it to match the display. The display only runs at its native resolution.

Hey, at least we have access to the display.

I agree, at least Apple has given us access.

The reason why Apple are hesitant to put Blu-Ray in is because they hate proprietary stuff. They would rather push everybody towards the free standards than jump on the bandwagon.

Personally, I'd prefer to buy now, then wait a few months for an adapter that is bound to be in development.
  • Reply 47 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pumpkinwhite View Post

If I were to use an external bluray drive (like that from Lacie), and use Windows in bootcamp, will I be able to see commercial bluray movies. Of course, the audio will be just stereo, but can it be done?

Have asked this question at various places but did not get a definitive reply. Lacie website says that the computer's video card should be HDCP compliant. What does that mean for these iMacs?

Yes, watching movies in Windows will work.
  • Reply 48 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dirty Smuggler View Post

Teckstud, sounds like you took the Red Pill.

No, I think he's a spit not swallow kind of guy.
  • Reply 49 of 149
    thaz a let down....
  • Reply 50 of 149
    Does anyone know how this works in practice? Do you have to reboot to use it as a monitor? Can the mac part be functional but the display showing another input? A windowed mode? Does it scale up lower resolution like, when you play a game?
  • Reply 51 of 149
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aenaon View Post

Does anyone know how this works in practice? Do you have to reboot to use it as a monitor? Can the mac part be functional but the display showing another input? A windowed mode? Does it scale up lower resolution like, when you play a game?

Yes

No, it auto senses the input, but you can press Command+F2 to switch inputs.

Kinda, the keyboard and mouse are inactive except some keys on the top row (brightness, volume, play/pause), but everything is still running.

No.

So far it doesn’t look like it scales..
  • Reply 52 of 149
    Cool, so, u can leave you iMac do something heavy and boring like rendering/encoding at 100% and browse or play movie using your macbook on the big display. Sounds like endless hours of guilty free movie watching then
  • Reply 53 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wattsup

That's correct, the Atlona converter has been confirmed to not work. Furthermore, there is at least one report that a native DisplayPort output from a PC didn't work and yet another that suggests (somewhat vaguely) that the DVI (???) output from an ATI 5870 video card did work with a simple adapter.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

The Radeon 5870 has a DisplayPort output. Of course it worked.

I thought that too (i.e. he just used the DisplayPort output from the card).

However, it seems that this person was claiming that he used a Mini DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter to connect his PC to the iMac's video input. The point being that others were using this as proof that a $15 adapter could convert raw DVI/HDMI into an input that would work with Apple's new iMac. That's why I used "???" and said that the post was somewhat vague (because it wasn't completely consistent with the remainder of his post and frankly because I didn't believe that a $15 adapter such as that would work on the iMac's DisplayPort input). A simple DisplayPort-to-Mini DisplayPort cable should work (from the ATI 5870's DisplayPort out), but not something that for $15 would convert a raw DVI output into a DisplayPort input.
  • Reply 54 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Ok, teckstud, show us on the doll...where did Apple touch you?

I have to remember that one. Hilarious!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pumpkinwhite View Post

If I were to use an external bluray drive (like that from Lacie), and use Windows in bootcamp, will I be able to see commercial bluray movies. Of course, the audio will be just stereo, but can it be done?

Have asked this question at various places but did not get a definitive reply. Lacie website says that the computer's video card should be HDCP compliant. What does that mean for these iMacs?

Besides what daniel84 stated, you can install an internal Blu-ray drive and play HDCP protected movies in Windows.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

Do you remember reading awhile back about the display port being an anti-pirate device, in hardware, as an attempt by the content providers and consumer TV/DVD/DVR makers? Maybe this has something to do with that.

When it first came out there was a driver (or possibly low-level OS) issue that prevented iTunes protected content to play on external monitors. I forget if it was only to HDMI monitors or DisplayPort monitors, but hat has since been worked out and HDCP is now supported.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

I have to agree 100% Apple has had a long running habit of dangling a delicious looking candy bar right in front of us but when it get close enough to want to buy it they PUKE all over it. Sorry Apple I'm with teckstud on this one.

I don?t think any royalties would be required if they are already supporting HDMI out,, I just don?t think the video card supports it, and never did.

The regular ATI HD 4670 and HD 4870 don?t have video input, so are these unique cards for Apple, but only the 27?, or has Apple included a chip to auto-sense the input and bypass it to the monitor if it detects an input?

Have anyone got down and dirty enough to see if it could just be a driver issue that ATI is working on? Is HDCP preserved from and external DP source to the iMac video input?

It?s just odd to think the intended solution is to hook up a second Mac so that it has two displays and your iMac has none, unless they had something headless like the Mac Mini in mind. Another thought is that the tablet could be hooked up, but even that seems like a silly proposition when Screen Sharing would much more useful.
  • Reply 55 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

...When it first came out there was a driver (or possibly low-level OS) issue that prevented iTunes protected content to play on external monitors. I forget if it was only to HDMI monitors or DisplayPort monitors, but hat has since been worked out and HDCP is now supported.

My October 2008 unibody MacBook has supported iTunes protected video output with Apple's Mini DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter for as long as I can remember (perhaps from day one). However, you can't use the Mini DisplayPort-to-VGA adopter for protected content (thus they do enforce a playback protection over the analog output). Furthermore, my first generation Mac Pro plays protected content over its DVI output without restrictions even though its video card and DVI port are not HDCP compliant (this is true under Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard). Thus, the situation is a bit complex.

What I suspect is that Apple enforces video output content protection on Macs that support HDCP (that makes complete sense and this includes all of the new Mini DisplayPort equipped Macs when they are mated with a device that supports HDCP). However, Apple doesn't care if you play protected content on earlier systems that didn't support HDCP. The latter means that people who purchased protected content in the past aren't prevented from viewing their iTunes content on their older, pre-HDCP systems.

I'm not sure about the HD rentals, that may require one of the Mini DisplayPort Macs or the Apple TV (although it appears that Apple makes no such requirement in their movie rental FAQ). In any case, I've never tried to rent and view an HD movie on my Mac Pro. For the latter I use my HDTV and my Apple TV.
  • Reply 56 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wattsup View Post

My October 2008 unibody MacBook has supported iTunes protected video output with Apple's Mini DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter for as long as I can remember (perhaps from day one).

Here are some links to it. They also link to the Apple Discussion Boards, but I haven’t clicked them so I don’t know if Apple deleted them.
    And the late November 2008 release of QuickTime 7.5.7 that resolved the issue…
    Quote:

This update is recommended for owners of MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro with Mini DisplayPort. The update addresses an issue where some standard definition purchases from the iTunes Store do not play on some external displays.

Note that the TUAW sites says that HD content still be able to be displayed on external displays. As long as the HDCP is present I would have thought it would still work, just not through VGA as you stated.
  • Reply 57 of 149
    bdblackbdblack Posts: 146member
    The whole display port thing really isn't a huge issue. It's probably not too difficult to build an adapter. I don't think it's an anti - piracy measure since hdcp is present on both display link and dvi. Both signals can be converted. The only reason any of this is a problem is because of hdcp, and that's not really apple's fault.
  • Reply 58 of 149
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

I have to agree 100% Apple has had a long running habit of dangling a delicious looking candy bar right in front of us but when it get close enough to want to buy it they PUKE all over it. Sorry Apple I'm with teckstud on this one.

• Reply 59 of 149
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

No HDMI- No purchase of an Apple monitor with built in speakers for me.

What device beit Blu-ray, game ,etc uses DP or MDP?

Apple is so wrong on this. How expensive can an HDMI fee be. How much profit does Apple need?

Oh I know , repeat after me- slopism's song - "Apple is a company that needs to................................................ .

"Apple is a company that needs to.....

ok now what
  • Reply 60 of 149
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aenaon View Post

NO

open SP

find displays folder

open folder

click the check mark that states

find other displays

no wintel modes

no scale up it starts up at highest

you choose screen size