Tests confirm Apple's 27" iMac only supports DisplayPort input

Comments

• Reply 61 of 149
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    I still want one for World of Warcraft
  • Reply 62 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anilsudhakaran View Post

Take a hint. Apple doesn't want you to use their products. Why don't you move on to products that give you what you want and stop wasting disk space here.

Apple's Just Not That Into You.
  • Reply 63 of 149
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    "It will not work with any equipment that only supports VGA, DVI, or HDMI output"

What a shame. Apple delete so much potential value by denying the common connector standards that are out there already.
  • Reply 64 of 149
    If Apple had allowed an HDMI signal and upconverted it, I would've been ready to sell my 2007 24" iMac and my 40" Sony XBR4 HDTV to use at 27" i7 iMac as my display. Sad. Oh well, my computer's just two years old and still plenty good. They would have had my dollars, now they'll have to wait for my current computer to break down or be unable to run something that I want to do with it.
  • Reply 65 of 149
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

"Apple is a company that needs to.....

ok now what

..... make a profit even if that means not providing everything you may need or want. Apple doesn't cater to teckstud's needs until after the guinee pigs mangia on Applecrack for 2 years first and they finally produce the products up to teckstud's sensible specs. (see iPhone and 13" MPB). Teckstud made the mistake once as an Apple guinee pig with the bun warmer, the AppleTV but never again. And not only teckstud- ask all the 1gen iPod Touch owners that own basically a useless device after only 1 year. Bottom line is - wait until Appple gets all the worms out of their apples (beta devices) usually by year 2 .
  • Reply 66 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

If Apple had allowed an HDMI signal and upconverted it, I would've been ready to sell my 2007 24" iMac and my 40" Sony XBR4 HDTV to use at 27" i7 iMac as my display. Sad. Oh well, my computer's just two years old and still plenty good. They would have had my dollars, now they'll have to wait for my current computer to break down or be unable to run something that I want to do with it.

True that. I was wanting to buy a new iMac so bad , mine is 3 years old. I could live without blu- Ray, on the fence with no matte, but lost it when I read about no HDMI and same old 3+year old lousy SD iSight camera.
  • Reply 67 of 149
    bdblackbdblack Posts: 146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

"Apple is a company that needs to.....

ok now what

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

"It will not work with any equipment that only supports VGA, DVI, or HDMI output"

What a shame. Apple delete so much potential value by denying the common connector standards that are out there already.

Yeah, it will support HDMI with an active adapter. Wait a little while there are several in the works. Belkin already announced an HDMI to Mini DisplayPort adapter/scaler so you can have HDMI on the iMac.

Apple didn't include DVI/HDMI because that would require a fair bit of extra hardware inside the computer, which would raise costs. Its not a simple matter of slapping the port on there. The other issue is that HDMI can't run a display at that resolution. They would have to run a dual link DVI input. Using DisplayPort is much simpler.

At least this way, the consumer gets to choose if they need that feature or not. If they included HDMI/DVI on the computer, that would raise the price for everyone.
  • Reply 68 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BDBLACK View Post

Yeah, it will support HDMI with an active adapter. Wait a little while there are several in the works. Belkin already announced an HDMI to Mini DisplayPort adapter/scaler so you can have HDMI on the iMac.

Apple didn't include DVI/HDMI because that would require a fair bit of extra hardware inside the computer, which would raise costs. Its not a simple matter of slapping the port on there. The other issue is that HDMI can't run a display at that resolution. They would have to run a dual link DVI input. Using DisplayPort is much simpler.

At least this way, the consumer gets to choose if they need that feature or not. If they included HDMI/DVI on the computer, that would raise the price for everyone.

No need to raise the price- Apple should just lower their profit. Is greed green?
  • Reply 69 of 149
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    Hopefully LG or other LG supplier will see a market outside of the imac for this panel and issue a monitor based on it.
  • Reply 70 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

No HDMI- No purchase of an Apple monitor with built in speakers for me.

What device beit Blu-ray, game ,etc uses DP or MDP?

Apple is so wrong on this. How expensive can an HDMI fee be. How much profit does Apple need?

Oh I know , repeat after me- slopism's song - "Apple is a company that needs to................................................ .

Quote:

All that beautiful screen wasted. No internal blu-ray, no external Blu-ray, PSP, XBOX or Wii.

And then top it off with the VHS quality iSight camera. WTF?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud;

True that. I was wanting to buy a new iMac so bad , mine is 3 years old. I could live without blu- Ray, on the fence with no matte, but lost it when I read about no HDMI and same old 3+year old lousy SD iSight camera.

Repeated like a drone.
  • Reply 71 of 149
    Everybody is fussing with each other over the non-important things here... Let's get back to the biggest breaking news here: PRICE.

Look at the Pricing Matrix at the end of the article again...

Apple is really showing everyone that they should be lowering the price of their LCDs by quite a bit.
  • Reply 72 of 149
    Quote:

YOu possible got me confused with others, but I'm not surprised.

Please see your post in today's tablet thread:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud

Man, I can't wait to buy a Tablet just so I can buy some Apple iTunes Cocktails-- NOT!!

I want a fully functional device or fugettaboudet!

• Reply 73 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wattsup View Post

I thought that too (i.e. he just used the DisplayPort output from the card).

However, it seems that this person was claiming that he used a Mini DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter to connect his PC to the iMac's video input. The point being that others were using this as proof that a $15 adapter could convert raw DVI/HDMI into an input that would work with Apple's new iMac. That's why I used "???" and said that the post was somewhat vague (because it wasn't completely consistent with the remainder of his post and frankly because I didn't believe that a $15 adapter such as that would work on the iMac's DisplayPort input). A simple DisplayPort-to-Mini DisplayPort cable should work (from the ATI 5870's DisplayPort out), but not something that for $15 would convert a raw DVI output into a DisplayPort input.

Yeah. It doesn't make sense.
  • Reply 74 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

Please see your post in today's tablet thread:

See it? I wrote it! And what exactly does one have to do with the other?
  • Reply 75 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

Apple is really showing everyone that they should be lowering the price of their LCDs by quite a bit.

Apple's trying to show us now that we don't need HDMI, trying to show us that we don't need blu-ray, that we don't want small form netbooks, tried to show is that we didn't need MMS, trtied to show us that we didn't need matte, and on and on. Profit is king at Apple.
  • Reply 76 of 149
    Quote:

See it? I wrote it! And what exactly does one have to do with the other?

You claiming that you don't go into every thread and say "no X, no purchase." Do you really post so much you don't remember what you're talking about?
  • Reply 77 of 149
    Quote:

Repeated like a drone.

I need to - so you can retain it.
  • Reply 78 of 149
    Quote:

You claiming that you don't go into every thread and say "no X, no purchase." Do you really post so much you don't remember what you're talking about?

You only remember what you want to obviously. I've said a lot more than that and have quite an excellent memory as well. Whenever I write something positive, you simply choose to forget. Your problem, not mine.
  • Reply 79 of 149
    Quote:

You only remember what you want to obviously. I've said a lot more than that and have quite an excellent memory as well. Whenever I write something positive, you simply choose to forget. Your problem, not mine.

Please point me to the last positive remark you have concerning an Apple product.
  • Reply 80 of 149
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glockpop View Post

And really, how many people really want to use their iMac as a TV display for their PS3? Among other problems, the resolution isn't right. A typical PS3/BR/DVD only scales to 1080, so it would only present your game or movie in the middle of the screen surrounded by lots of dead pixels.

As Larry David says, "You're way off base". Just kidding.... Yeah but MANY people want to use a 27" iMac for watching their 720p mkv files.I know if I was going to buy a new Mac AND I needed a new TV at the same time I would jump on the 27" and equip it with another 1TB.

Right now I watch 720p on my Aquos 40" via PS3/Mediaserver and it is oh so sexy. Although 40" isn't big these days. But if you go bigger then you need to download 1080p and my computer isn't up to snuff for 180p playback anyway.