Microsoft drops Family Guy special over content issues

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    Honestly, what the hell did Microsoft expect?
  • Reply 22 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

[stewie] Not even one person from Microsoft thought to actually watch a Family Guy episode first before deciding to go with it? Not even one? Just one little Microsoft person? Just one little one? [/stewie]

Still, uh, working on that novel. Huh. Still, uh, trying to figure out a plot. Wanna, uh, put this in your novel. You know, uh, a little love scuffle between big blue and little white. Huh. You, uh, wanna talk about the, uh, possibilities that, uh, we are gonna have to bash them now on the show. Think, uh, we can make Peter out to be the new Pres of Microsoft, uh, so, uh, that, he can turn the company around. Huh. Think that, uh, maybe we'll do Peter with, uh, sweaty pits, uh, yelling, uh, ------- Oh hell with it, I'm going to bed.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

Still, uh, working on that novel. Huh. Still, uh, trying to figure out a plot. Wanna, uh, put this in your novel. You know, uh, a little love scuffle between big blue and little white. Huh. You, uh, wanna talk about the, uh, possibilities that, uh, we are gonna have to bash them now on the show. Think, uh, we can make Peter out to be the new Pres of Microsoft, uh, so, uh, that, he can turn the company around. Huh. Think that, uh, maybe we'll do Peter with, uh, sweaty pits, uh, yelling, uh, ------- Oh hell with it, I'm going to bed.

• Reply 24 of 53
    c cc c Posts: 8member
    "A promotional spot that did air seemed to indicate that the special would be a mix of the show's old gags with irrelevant mentions of Windows 7"

Ummm...maybe that is supposed to be "irreverent", not "irrelevant" ? Of course with Family Guy it could be either...or both!

Regardless, it is amazing even for MS to be so clueless...That they didn't coordinate things earlier and get a better idea of what they were getting into. Also content creators AND advertisers are acutely aware that it's really difficult to pull of this kind of marketing ? especially to the younger demographic ? without appearing to sell out. I'd expect Family Guy writers and producers would certainly know that and it would greatly affect the content and delivery in a special like this. But it seems like MS just doesn't get it...again.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    c cc c Posts: 8member
    Obviously Microsoft would be deathly afraid of ? and completely opposed to ? "irreverent" references and content when it came to Windows 7. I'd think MS would insist on striaght-up pimping, the exact opposite of what FamGuy writers would want to do.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by C C View Post

"A promotional spot that did air seemed to indicate that the special would be a mix of the show's old gags with irrelevant mentions of Windows 7"

Ummm...maybe that is supposed to be "irreverent", not "irrelevant" ? Of course with Family Guy it could be either...or both!

Regardless, it is amazing even for MS to be so clueless...That they didn't coordinate things earlier and get a better idea of what they were getting into. Also content creators AND advertisers are acutely aware that it's really difficult to pull of this kind of marketing ? especially to the younger demographic ? without appearing to sell out. I'd expect Family Guy writers and producers would certainly know that and it would greatly affect the content and delivery in a special like this. But it seems like MS just doesn't get it...again.

family guy had been accused more than any cartoon sitcom of being a rip off of other, better shows. I wonder if that has any relation to Microsoft...

In any case, a crass backward moronic show and a sub par software manufacturer... who cares?

Btw, isn't there an ad campaign that ms has NOT first paid millions for and then ditched? When will they realize that their vapourware is the problem and not the campaigns?
  • Reply 27 of 53
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    maybe they (microsoft) should take a page from AA (alcoholics anonymous) and just come out and admit that their product often sucks and has major problems at times - maybe then the healing could begin....

The old Mac slogan - a computer for the rest of us - truly is obsolete - maybe it should be Mac is the computer for the BEST of us - and windows is now for the rest of us.

How funny would it be for bill gates to express frustration when windows crashes - at least that would be something people could identify with.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

Think, uh, we can make Peter out to be the new Pres of Microsoft, uh, so, uh, that, he can turn the company around. Huh. Think that, uh, maybe we'll do Peter with, uh, sweaty pits, uh, yelling, uh, ------- Oh hell with it, I'm going to bed.

<Peter>I'm head of Microsoft now and I'm worth over 50 Billion Dollars. Hheheheheheheheheehehehehehehehehehehe</Peter>

<Brian>Get a Mac, dumbass! Where's my martini? And where's Lois?!</Brian>

<OldManHerbert>Oh my! There are sssertainly a lot of young boys on thisssss internet thingy!</OldManHerbert>

<Quagmire>Not to mention a lot of women too! Oh Yeah! Gigiddy, Gigiddy, Gigiddy!</Quagmire>

I know, it's getting tiresome now!
  • Reply 29 of 53
    Microsoft only dropped out of sponsoring the episode, there are still mentions of Win7 in it though. Its just that at commercial breaks it won't say Sponsored By Microsoft. Atleast thats what I read elsewhere.

By the way, did this site get a name change because last time I checked it was called AppleInsider? I just got confused by the way the article does not mention Apple a single time.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LongDukDong View Post

The Donger say -- Stupid American should not feel shame that he confused the director of Pink Flamingos with the director of 16 Candles. You are product of shoddy public school system.

Like my sexy American girlfriend!

You'd make Gedde Watanabe proud!
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

maybe they (microsoft) should take a page from AA (alcoholics anonymous) and just come out and admit that their product often sucks and has major problems at times - maybe then the healing could begin....

Are you a moron?

1.) It is completely opinion based whether or not Microsoft products suck. Many people (me being one of them) would disagree with you.

2.) Do you honestly think that Microsoft (or any other company) is going to say their products suck?
  • Reply 32 of 53
    I don't mean to be argumentative, however

Quote:
    Originally Posted by red_skittles View Post

Are you a moron?

seems overly hyperbolic towards a poster's AA simile.

Quote:

1.) It is completely opinion based whether or not Microsoft products suck. Many people (me being one of them) would disagree with you.

To be fair to the poster, he did use the qualifiers "often" and "at times" and specified a singular "product". His is a widely shared opinion, as is yours, based in disagreement.

You may be offended, but neither the simile, nor the opinion seems moronic.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

I don't mean to be argumentative, however

seems overly hyperbolic towards a poster's AA simile.

To be fair to the poster, he did use the qualifiers "often" and "at times" and specified a singular "product". His is a widely shared opinion, as is yours, based in disagreement.

You may be offended, but neither the simile, nor the opinion seems moronic.

I have no problem with people bashing Microsoft. Even if he hadn't have mentioned Microsoft and substituted it for any other company, it would still be moronic. Let me ask you this, if you were the head of a company that had produced a variety of products, some of which were poorly received, would you "come out and admit that [your] product often sucks and has major problems at times."
  • Reply 34 of 53
    Quote:

I have no problem with people bashing Microsoft. Even if he hadn't have mentioned Microsoft and substituted it for any other company, it would still be moronic. Let me ask you this, if you were the head of a company that had produced a variety of products, some of which were poorly received, would you "come out and admit that [your] product often sucks and has major problems at times."

I have and know of others that have, albeit "suck" was not included in either a public, nor an NDA statement. Usually, the accommodation is made by release of a new version, substitute product/service, etc. (and quickly). (e.g., Jobs' comments re: MobileMe).

In any event, I'm not certain the poster's comment was meant as a serious recommendation, but as a veiled critique about the company and/or the referenced product.

I have seen postings I'd categorize as "moronic". This one just doesn't happen to qualify (IMHO).
  • Reply 35 of 53
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Thank God.

Defacing a great show with MS garbageware. The very thought . . .
  • Reply 36 of 53
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Bill Gates all but admitted it about Vista, point-blank on camera.

Ballmer admitted the same about WinMo recently.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    I love Family Guy, but obviously it had never been seen by any Microsoft execs before yesterday.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LongDukDong View Post

The Donger say -- Stupid American should not feel shame that he confused the director of Pink Flamingos with the director of 16 Candles. You are product of shoddy public school system.

Like my sexy American girlfriend!

OK, so I didn't do my research. It was John Hughes. Still, original thought trumps decades old movie quotes. i didn't comment on your post - you did on mine - and as a die-hard Family Guy fan that is war!

Come on! "Son of Shitsa"?!?!?! That's a keeper!

Talk to me when you hit 20 posts and the 1990's.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I love Family Guy, but obviously it had never been seen by any Microsoft execs before yesterday.

Or these clips…
  • Reply 40 of 53
    It might have helped at the beginning of Microsoft's campaign with Family Guy to actually sit down and watch the show that has been on for 6 years. These people just don't think.