Study suggests $600 mass-market sweet spot for Apple tablet

Comments

• Reply 101 of 127
    I have yet to see anyone point out the obvious, that this poll came from the same company that prdicted DOOM! and GLOOM! for Apple because they didn't have a netbook and their "Back to School" selling season for their notebooks was going to be a disaster.

Um, Excuse me. Anyone see the recent Apple sales figures?

I suggest all those that believe this tripe read some real commentary about this from Daringfireball's blog.

To wit: I
    Quote:

’m sure Apple’s executives will take these survey results very seriously, given that they come from the same company that, just a few weeks ago, predicted doom and gloom for Apple’s back-to-school laptop sales because the kids all want “netbooks”.

I hear next week’s Retrevo survey will show that people in hell want ice water.

• Reply 102 of 127
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Looks who's telling who to be ashamed - the Canadian who compared US flag waving to the Nazis. Where's our apology- we are waiting for it.

WTF? I stated a fact. Nothing pejorative about that. Besides .. different thread, different context, etc. why bring it up here?

My point is that the "study" is BS, and it is. Lots of people have pointed it out.
  • Reply 103 of 127
    You have to love the way these people think:

"Apple had better hurry up if they want to capture any of the netbook market because many consumers, both Mac and PC owners, have already bought a netbook and many more plan on buying one soon," the study said.

Can you imagine if, just before the iPhone launch, a study had said "Apple had better hurry up if they want to capture any of the smartphone market because many consumers, both Mac and PC owners, have already bought a mobile phone and many more plan on buying one soon".

Do people really get paid for writing this kind of 'analysis'?
  • Reply 104 of 127
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Apple has done quite well, thank you, by basically ignoring the results of "studies" like this one. Instead they make decisions based on SJ's unwavering intuition on what will be the next great thing. I doubt Apple is interested dumpster diving to pick up some of the sludge at the bottom of the PC market juts to increase market share. Why would they want to become the purveyors of cheap junk like the rest of the industry? Whatever the rumored device turns out to be 1. It won't be cheap. 2. It will be insanely great. 3. It will be labeled as D.O.A. by the pundits (just like the iPhone) 4. It will succeed in spite of the trolls in forums.
  • Reply 105 of 127
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

A tablet won't be for everyone, but as always, I am interested in why you require "full" OSX on a $600 device. I feel that most people who want full OSX severely underestimate the potential of iPhone OS and ignore the downsides of using OSX on a full touch device, with relatively underpowered hardware.

PS. With a couple changes, AppleTV could jump out of that undeveloped bin.

I dunno that they want "full OSX" as much as they want OSX apps. The oft repeated calls for powerpoint and keynote are but a few of the desireable apps to have on a tablet for it to be a laptop replacement.
  • Reply 106 of 127
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I dunno that they want "full OSX" as much as they want OSX apps. The oft repeated calls for powerpoint and keynote are but a few of the desireable apps to have on a tablet for it to be a laptop replacement.

There is no reason those key apps couldn't be created for a tablet running iPhone OS. In fact I would bet on a tablet coming with some new apps. Even Safari would probably be redone for a tablet.
  • Reply 107 of 127
    Quote:

A...I am interested in why you require "full" OSX on a $600 device...

For me it is Photoshop and Illustrator and unfortunately the Microsoft suite. I also think it NEEDS to have a pen/stylus. Yes I realize the limitations that the hardware will put on an application like Photoshop, but the "freedom" that a tablet brings to the application is a natural fit.

The Microsoft apps are unavoidable on something that could be used for business, and why else would people cary around a tablet if they could not get ride of their laptop or iPhone or preferably both. So business use should be taken into account. No it will not be a high production tool, but one that brings unsurpassed mobility to the applications that are used and shared on the desktop. Take it to a meeting and open the necessary document there to share, make notes, and even minor alterations to.

Given the above I think that it is unrealistic to assume that the software developers will maintain yet another set of code specifically for a tablet based system. The applications that will be most in demand are already desktop based (OS X) so it is logical to use that OS for the device with alterations to the OS to allow for easy integration in the new interface without the need for the developers to maintain another set of code for the software. Therefor, as I see it, the device should be powered by OS X and not the iPhone OS to allow for the best chance of survival. It would probably cut into laptop sales but could help to boost desktop sales.

Of course I could be wrong, I have been in the past and will surely be in the future as well.
  • Reply 108 of 127
    Quote:

There is no reason those key apps couldn't be created for a tablet running iPhone OS. In fact I would bet on a tablet coming with some new apps. Even Safari would probably be redone for a tablet.

I think that the desktop applications like Powerpoint, Word, Excel, and Acrobat would be vital to the success of a tablet. I also think that it is unrealistic to expect full cooperation from Adobe and Microsoft to port those to a new OS in a timely manner if at all, even one as similar as the iPhone OS is to OS X. Another application that I think would be good to have access to on such a device is a database, but a good number of those have some web based interface today. However, since I still have problems with some web sites on Safari and have to switch to Firefox to ensure that I have all the functions available I would say that FireFox is a necessary application as well.
  • Reply 109 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post

It will be $699.99US... yes, I still remember the Newton

Seriously, I think it will be between $1000-$1200US, no contract (assuming it has HSPDA/UMTS 3G/3.5G data connectivity).

I agree that the study 'results' are crap. $600 isn't a sweet spot. It's where almost anyone who wants one would buy one.
  • Reply 110 of 127
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaliDebaser View Post

$600 isn't a sweet spot. It's where almost anyone who wants one would buy one.

But isn't that the definition of a sweet spot?
  • Reply 111 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

But isn't that the definition of a sweet spot?

That is essentially how I would define it.
  • Reply 112 of 127
    I have a fuzzy feeling that tells me the device will cost $799.
  • Reply 113 of 127
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    How can one determine a fair price when you don't know what it is or what it does?!
  • Reply 114 of 127
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @homenow View Post

I think that the desktop applications like Powerpoint, Word, Excel, and Acrobat would be vital to the success of a tablet. I also think that it is unrealistic to expect full cooperation from Adobe and Microsoft to port those to a new OS in a timely manner if at all, even one as similar as the iPhone OS is to OS X. Another application that I think would be good to have access to on such a device is a database, but a good number of those have some web based interface today. However, since I still have problems with some web sites on Safari and have to switch to Firefox to ensure that I have all the functions available I would say that FireFox is a necessary application as well.

I'd rather wait a while for a few applications than be stuck with a sub-optimal user experience forever. Of course everyone can have differing opinions on that. I think the consumer end can sustain a tablet while the corporate end catches up.
  • Reply 115 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'd love a tablet just to have the latest and greatest. But I already have an iPhone and a MBP so I don't know that I really need one. That would be a bit much even for me. I'm afraid I would be lugging around all three devices.

...so this is going in the dash of my car as a removable front end to a car stereo. I paid over a grand for a Pioneer AVIC-3 three years ago, and a 10 inch iPod Touch (in effect) would run circles around it in terms of ease of use and features. If the car stereo manufactures don't start making a cradle for this device to snap-in (and out) that connects to an amp, power, speakers and an antenna, I will be utterly amazed.

I'll have every one of my vehicles at the shop the day these come out.
  • Reply 116 of 127
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    As far as I'm concerned, $800 would be far too much for a thing that Apple might release at some point, especially if it has a size and functionality.

Unless it's too big, or doesn't do enough. Or too much. Then that's not enough. Unless it isn't.

At any rate, I'm going to get one and use it fix my life. If it doesn't do that, then it's worthless. But Apple will trick me into buying it anyway. Greedy bastards.

I bet it doesn't even work.
  • Reply 117 of 127
    Quote:

Man you're so pathetic. Let people think for themselve rather than spew your old stockholder mantra of "Apple is a company that needs to make a profit, bla, bla, bla". Seriously anyone who wants to discuss anything don't listen to sloppism and his FUD. I can handle any debate and slopsism ( who keeps peering out of his ignore list ) doesn't need to read it. Remember he was the one that said - no video camera for iPhone because "Applenia a company that.......... Same thing with matte on the 15" MBP- I could go on and on with his ridiculous prediclons- all proven false.

Ouch. Heh.

Yeah, there are one or two on these boards that don't like the 'non-typical' Apple view. I guess they can ignore or talk to someone else. Fair enough, I guess.

They were the ones that said Apple didn't need a 'sub-k' Mac. Don't need an iMac bigger than 15 inch. Never to Intel. No to an mp3 player...phone...Apple doing cut price aka Snow Leopard £25. Yet, here we are.

Guess that 'they' (who ever 'they' are...heh) were emphatically wrong. Like all arm chair iCEOs, we're frequently wrong about Apple. Or they often prove commentators and the conservatives on these boards wrong.

People tend to forget, just because Apple strikes a pose...doesn't mean they're a statue.

And I admire them for that quality alone.

As for teckstud. He's entitled to his opinion. America is a purported democracy? As for me, I find his posts amusing, frank and re-freshing from the stale, 'I'm a stockholder and it's ok for Apple to be greedy' posts or the 'I know what Apple thinks because I re-gurgitate Apple's PR' posts. These are 'rumour' boards. As such, intangibles the premium currency.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 118 of 127
    Quote:

10 inch iPod Touch

or iPhone would be just fine. I think it's the perfect size for small paperback to magazine size reading. Slouching on the sofa with that? Me and teh box of Maltesers never gets off the sofa. It's the ultimate in 'doss' computing.

Apple cleans up if they can hit a price just above the 'best' netbooks. Kindle and Sony get their butt handed to them.

So much promise... If they can deliver the shockwave of a 10 inch iPhone/Pod. It's good night Vienna for the opposition.

It's the device we all want...we just don't know it yet.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 119 of 127
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

I'm sure that Apple can port iLife and iWork to the iPhone OSX (on ARM) any time they wanted.

Powerpoint might be a tad tougher. Lightroom? Not likely.

A (slate) tablet would be great for certain content creators like photographers and powerpoint warriors (no, I don't equate the two )

The advantage of an Atom based tablet running full OSX is that you can run any of the normal productivity apps on the tablet if you had a keyboard and mouse attached (just sloooowly). Porting iPhone apps to the tablet wouldn't be hard and more likely than the other direction.
  • Reply 120 of 127
    $600 or less is the right price. Apple will sell it for that if it is just a big iPod touch, but not if it is a full tablet Mac.