Droid arrives on Verizon Nov. 6 with Google Maps Navigation

Comments

• Reply 21 of 186
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Lucasfilm owns the name "Droid".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Did anyone notice that "Droid" was a licensed name from LucasFilm? Lame.

• Reply 22 of 186
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

Another wannabe iPhone look alike. Anybody, who is not a techie, using the Android will find the user interface not as intuitive as the iPhone.

Why is not as intuitive as the iPhone?
  • Reply 23 of 186
    This seems like it is going to be a good phone and a worthy competitor to the iphone but of course that is yet to be determined. While I have been a mac/apple user since 1988, I am not a fanboy and I think the competition will be good for apple/att. What I would really like to see (rather than more cool apps, which will happen anyway) is a price war on the data plan. I think that if they ever got the cost down to a 1/3 or 1/2 of what it is now, they could sell boatloads of droids and iphones.

Win/win/win (that last win is for the customer).
  • Reply 24 of 186
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    ? 3.7? display. The device seems slightly too big but not enough to be a deal breaker. Maybe it?s just the harder edges.

? The resolution is nice, but how much does that help on such a small screen? The iPhone already has a pretty high PPI. I would like a crisper display but not at the expense of the battery life.

? Can?t wait to see the battery usage for this thing. Has Android?s PM improved and will impressive HW affect the while thing?

? I fear for WinMo, Palm and Sprint more than anyone else with this device.

? Looking forward to some proper performance comparisons. The iPhone beat out the Pre in tests despite similar HW.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

That Google Maps Navigation App looks wicked cool. Doubt it'll ever come to the Apple App Store though because TomTom and Navigon would pitch a fit over it being free.

There are free apps that come with the iPhone that you can buy on the App Store. I?m sure they wouldn?t be happy about it but that just means they need to step their game up if it does show up. I hope it does for the occasional time I want turn-by-turn.

Does Google Maps Naviagtion require the internet connection to load new maps, like on the iPhone, or is locally stored? If the former, then the App Store apps still has a leg up in some ways.
  • Reply 25 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

I was a Cingular/AT&T customer for eight years and dropped them for Verizon. After having the same phone with both carriers I waited two years to come back to AT&T. Why? Because the software on the phone with Verizon was like playing pong on a PS3. I even got out of my contract a month early after shaming them on the features that they kill on their phones. I am a proud user of an iPhone and will not look back. I laugh at the Droid commercials because I already know that the interface will badly altered from what Motorola intended.

Actually, I'm going to say that you're wrong on the interface alteration part. This phone was a joint work between Verizon, Google and Motorola from its initial development. So I'm willing to bet that what screens you've seen of this Droid is what will be in your hands on Nov. 6th. As with all Android-based phones, you can customize the GUI to suit your own tastes.

After seeing all the latest smartphones in Verizon's lineup, it seems that they've stopped screwing around with the interface as much as they used to do.
  • Reply 26 of 186
    Slightly thicker than an iPhone. Am I the only one that doesn't care how thin this thing is? Is this really a feature that anyone cares about? Give me more battery life. OK, you can't be too rich or too thin, but really, who wants to talk into a credit card?
  • Reply 27 of 186
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Did anyone notice that "Droid" was a licensed name from LucasFilm? Lame.

If your gonna license , they should have licensed the name "Yoda"- right?
  • Reply 28 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

If your gonna license , they should have licensed the name "Yoda"- right?

I can see this as a promotion:

Free Lightsaber With Each "Yoda" Purchase!!
  • Reply 29 of 186
    The more I read about the Droid, the more I'm starting to regret my decision to switch to AT&T for the iPhone! I Have to hand it to Verizon; after years of neglecting their phone offering, they're really coming around now and putting out a great looking lineup (on paper at least).

I'm really hoping Apple has something great cooking for iPhone 4.0:

1. The UI is getting a little stale and needs a refresh.

2. Please improve the home screen, or make it somewhat useful! As it stands right now, it's utterly useless. Here's a great concept: http://www.teehanlax.com/blog/?p=1893

3. Notifications really need to be improved, or just allow multitasking already! Right now, if you have more than one set of notifications, it becomes unmanageable with each replacing the other!

4. Come up with a better solution for finding and opening apps. I have 4 pages worth of apps and it's ridiculous having to swipe back and forth all the time!

5. A better mail app is badly needed! I was just settle for a native Gmail app.
  • Reply 30 of 186
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    It uses the internet. Which has pluses and minuses.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Does Google Maps Naviagtion require the internet connection to load new maps, like on the iPhone, or is locally stored? If the former, then the App Store apps still has a leg up in some ways.

• Reply 31 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I can see this as a promotion:

Free Lightsaber With Each "Yoda" Purchase!!

or better yet, get "Vader" as in- get me my "Vader" phone- NOW! The commercials would of course come replete with his theme.
  • Reply 32 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

I was a Cingular/AT&T customer for eight years and dropped them for Verizon. After having the same phone with both carriers I waited two years to come back to AT&T. Why? Because the software on the phone with Verizon was like playing pong on a PS3. I even got out of my contract a month early after shaming them on the features that they kill on their phones. I am a proud user of an iPhone and will not look back. I laugh at the Droid commercials because I already know that the interface will badly altered from what Motorola intended.

Quick update:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/28/m...ct-coming-nov/

There's a video on the bottom showing this Droid in action. From the looks of it, Verizon hasn't touched what the GUI looks like.
  • Reply 33 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EWTHeckman View Post

I gotta wonder about the marketing sense of taking the HAL eye, and merging it with Terminator and Transformers styles, then using that as the primary iconography for this phone.

Do we really want a phone sold as an evil robot/computer?

Well, in Star Trek terms, you may think the Android you are getting is Data, but it's really Lor.
  • Reply 34 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EWTHeckman View Post

I gotta wonder about the marketing sense of taking the HAL eye, and merging it with Terminator and Transformers styles, then using that as the primary iconography for this phone.

Do we really want a phone sold as an evil robot/computer?

I thought it looked more like a Godzilla trailer myself.
  • Reply 35 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

or better yet, get "Vader" as in- get me my "Vader" phone- NOW! The commercials would of course come replete with his theme.

Just like the PSP, offer an exclusive model that is black, has Vader's head laser etched on the back, and has a Vader-themed GUI!
  • Reply 36 of 186
    The coolest phone with the most "wicked" features is USELESS if the underlaying information is crappy.

The accuracy of google's location information is awful, specially when it comes to finding businesses. It doesn't just affect small stores, even big chains like FedEx have completely outdated information with Google. Search for "FedEx 10024", and it will tell you about a FedEx location on 80th Street & Broadway in NYC that has been closed for more than a year now. I've given up on using Google Maps to find stuff. Unless you know the exact address, google maps is mostly a waste of time (and now gas).
  • Reply 37 of 186
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mickeymantle View Post

Slightly thicker than an iPhone. Am I the only one that doesn't care how thin this thing is? Is this really a feature that anyone cares about? Give me more battery life. OK, you can't be too rich or too thin, but really, who wants to talk into a credit card?

Thinness is one of the most important features of almost any product. Even cars are sold on thinness. Look at how the height of cars has gone down over the decades, even though taller cars are more comfortable in every way.

Samsungs new line of TVs is being sold on the basis of its thinness. The RAZR, the most popular phone line of all time, was sold on the idea of its being thin.

Let's not think that Apple originated the idea of thinness, they didn't.

But they use it well.

I have a silicone case for my iPhone which adds to the thickness. When I ask people why they don't get one, they usually tell me that it makes the phone thicker.

From people to TVs, thinness is "in".
  • Reply 38 of 186
    Good to see the opposition is stepping up. The iPhone was miles above anything else when I got mine, but oh how the gap has closed! This, the N900 and HTC HD 2 look really impressive as of late. It'll be a tough decision come April...
  • Reply 39 of 186
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mickeymantle View Post

If you don?t care about the thickness and want more battery life then get a Mophie Juice Pack Air. It?s cheaper than a battery replacement and it doubles as a case. The included cable will charge both batteries and sync to iTunes without removing. With as much as I use my iPhone it?s definitely worth it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tiroger View Post

The more I read about the Droid, the more I'm starting to regret my decision to switch to AT&T for the iPhone! I Have to hand it to Verizon; after years of neglecting their phone offering, they're really coming around now and putting out a great looking lineup (on paper at least).

I'm really hoping Apple has something great cooking for iPhone 4.0:

1. The UI is getting a little stale and needs a refresh.

2. Please improve the home screen, or make it somewhat useful! As it stands right now, it's utterly useless. Here's a great concept: http://www.teehanlax.com/blog/?p=1893

3. Notifications really need to be improved, or just allow multitasking already! Right now, if you have more than one set of notifications, it becomes unmanageable with each replacing the other!

4. Come up with a better solution for finding and opening apps. I have 4 pages worth of apps and it's ridiculous having to swipe back and forth all the time!

5. A better mail app is badly needed! I was just settle for a native Gmail app.

1. I wouldn?t say it?s stale, but I welcome a change up with v4.0 to revitalize the product.

2. That link you supplied as a great concept. I hope Apple adopts something similar.

3. Hell yes! This is my biggest issue. The notification was lacking when it came out, but PNS ahs made it worse. I want to be able to go back and see a list of all former notifications and what app sent them.

4. They have the home screen. It?s fast and easy. What I want are folders so I can group certain apps together. The jailbreak versions just don?t cut it.

5. Mail needs to aggregate the mail accounts. It?s annoying to have to keep backing out and into accounts. I would also like rules at some point. When I?m out, I have my Mac?s Mail AppleScript rule send me an IM to an account setup on Beejive IM if mail from a certain person. This puts the text overlay on my iPhone screen to let me know it?s urgent.
  • Reply 40 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

... Even cars are sold on thinness. Look at how the height of cars has gone down over the decades, even though taller cars are more comfortable in every way.

Actually, I think that trend reversed some time ago and most cars today have gotten taller than they were in, say, the early 90s.