Apple retail stores to upgrade from Windows-based EasyPay to iPod touch

24567

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post


    Finally!!! Its so embarrassing that Apple has had to use their competitors product for sales for such a long time!



    Yeah, BootCamp is so embarrassing as well.... wait, so is allowing Macs to run MS Office.....
  • Reply 22 of 122
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cinder View Post


    I think anyone with half a brain knew that this would be coming eventually.



    My guess on why it took so long is that they wanted to Get It Right.



    It takes 5 years to get existing old technology "Right"?

    Oh wait, I forgot it took 2 years to get 10 year old MMS technology "Right" also. Meanwhile my 7 year old Verizon MMS had saved phrases that I didn't have to keep typing every time I want to know such basics as "where are you" or "what's going on?"
  • Reply 23 of 122
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Not just the mail - the whole check out was swift, fast and accurate. I don't care who made it- it just worked.



    Kudo's to Apple for making the process even better. When did that become a bad thing? And when did asking employees what they think and acting become whining?



    In looking over your posts, I suppose if this article had been that Apple was holding off on the redesign of the system, that you would have been disappointed with that also.
  • Reply 24 of 122
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:

    Apple is also running a pilot program that allows its EasyPay-toting employees to accept cash for purchases, which the employees will then carry to cash drawers located under tables.



    Gee, what could possibly go wrong with that setup?



    I truly hope that source is wrong - cash needs to be handled in a secure area, not out in the open.
  • Reply 25 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    Yeah, BootCamp is so embarrassing as well.... wait, so is allowing Macs to run MS Office.....



    I'd say the embarassing part of BootCamp, and more so the VMware/Parellels, is how many mac buyers also BUY full retail Windows just for Office and such. Windows, even when running (especially when running) inside OS X or on Mac's hardware (which is a PC) is still virus laden windows (unless you do it right, which is pretty easy to keep safe on Windows.) Didn't people buy a Mac to get away from all that?
  • Reply 26 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    These whiny employees that are complaining about it now- Why? Because they actually had to do something rather than just BS on the salesfloor? Half of them barely know what their talking about anyway and just basically spew some Apple weekly mission statement that they must have to memorize on a Sunday night. I been checked out with the system NUMEROUS times and never, ever had a problem- and it was extremely FAST. I would get the email receipt right there within seconds on my iPhone.



    Who's whiny?
  • Reply 27 of 122
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post


    Kudo's to Apple for making the process even better. When did that become a bad thing? And when did asking employees what they think and acting become whining?



    In looking over your posts, I suppose if this article had been that Apple was holding off on the redesign of the system, that you would have been disappointed with that also.



    1.) How do you know its better- have you personally seen it ? NO>

    2.) I'm not saying its good or bad - just LATE>

    3.) When they actually whine.



    I was one of the first people ever to bring it up at AI that it even existed- it was such a secret. Go blow your nose.
  • Reply 28 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    I'm all for Apple moving forward but let's not do this right before the heavist retail demand they will have. A good break in period is a requirement to deal all potential bugs and regressions - you don't want to do this when your stores are flooded with custmers itchy to spend cash.





    Dave



    They have been using the iPod Touch for Concierge duties for awhile. I don't think the switch would be all that difficult. Especially since most of the employees would be proficient at using an iPod Touch/iPhone anyway. I can attest, it takes forever to type in anything on a Symbol device. I can type on the virtual keyboard a lot faster.
  • Reply 29 of 122
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    These whiny employees that are complaining about it now- Why? Because they actually had to do something rather than just BS on the salesfloor? Half of them barely know what their talking about anyway and just basically spew some Apple weekly mission statement that they must have to memorize on a Sunday night. I been checked out with the system NUMEROUS times and never, ever had a problem- and it was extremely FAST. I would get the email receipt right there within seconds on my iPhone.



    Classy.

    I think someone needs a little quite time for himself.
  • Reply 30 of 122
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    These whiny employees that are complaining about it now- Why? Because they actually had to do something rather than just BS on the salesfloor? Half of them barely know what their talking about anyway and just basically spew some Apple weekly mission statement that they must have to memorize on a Sunday night. I been checked out with the system NUMEROUS times and never, ever had a problem- and it was extremely FAST. I would get the email receipt right there within seconds on my iPhone.



    There you go again - this is pretty low, even for you. You are a hateful person.



    I've been checked out through the Apple Store "Easy Pay" system five or six times. One time the employee's handheld didn't work. He borrowed someone else's, and it didn't work either. He had to find a third one to check me out (he said it happens often - he didn't mention that the handheld ran Windows, and he didn't say anything disparaging about it. He was actually a real person, talking to another real person!). Both times it took about 5 minutes for the system to show it wasn't working - it took the input, but gave an error message after a delay.



    One other time my order was processed okay, but the terminal couldn't send the receipt (by the usual e-mail). I agreed that it was okay if the receipt came later, and it did finally show up in my e-mail a day or two later.



    Yeah, the other 3-4 times the system worked great.
  • Reply 31 of 122
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    These whiny employees that are complaining about it now- Why? Because they actually had to do something rather than just BS on the salesfloor? Half of them barely know what their talking about anyway and just basically spew some Apple weekly mission statement that they must have to memorize on a Sunday night. I been checked out with the system NUMEROUS times and never, ever had a problem- and it was extremely FAST. I would get the email receipt right there within seconds on my iPhone.



    You know, you're statements are just becoming more unbelievable as time goes on. I've had problems with sales people using these for some time. When we got our iPhones September 2008, the device our sales person had kept screwing up. It got so bad, the we had to use my wife's credit card and name instead of mine, because after breaking down the third time, it wouldn't allow mine to be entered again. She ended having to go to the back, where they fixed the problems before we could finish our transaction. I'm not alone in this.



    With a simple transaction it does better.



    But we've been hearing about problems with these since the beginning. Other stores that use them have problems as well. It's old technology, and CE is not the most reliable OS. PDa's using it used to crash all the time, and Win Mobile, which is based on it is no better, as it crashes all the time as well.
  • Reply 32 of 122
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post


    They had better work flawlessly, every time. That was the advantage of using Windows devices: you would blame the competitor.



    and the advantage to controlling the hardware and software is that it is easier to fix it cause you don't have to call someone else.



    a good chunk of the reason this has taken so long is likely cause they were testing to avoid problems
  • Reply 33 of 122
    Only one page? No convoluted, half-correct, over-blown "analysis"? No "buy my book" link at the bottom? Are you sure the by line is right? This can't possibly be a story from Prince/DED...
  • Reply 34 of 122
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Don't laugh- It's taken Apple 5 years to get their own?

    Who knew Microsoft was such an innovator?



    Only the OS is MS's. The rest is made by someone else, as is the terminal software.
  • Reply 35 of 122
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nonstopdesign View Post


    Who's whiny?



    Here (spoon attached)-



    one user confessed. "I hate these things. In the middle of a transaction, I'll hit 'next' and end up dumped back at the login screen. It's so frustrating."



    Existing Pocket PC EasyPay devices have an integrated barcode reader for identifying products without typing in their SKU, but "the barcode scanner takes five seconds to register," complained one frustrated Apple Store employee in the busy retail flagship in downtown San Francisco. Once the purchased items are all entered, clicking on "tender" to add tax "takes forever," another user familiar with the devices noted. "What is it doing? It's just calculating the tax."
  • Reply 36 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post


    Didn't people buy a Mac to get away from all that?



    Not always. Many people use both. For instance, in my case, 95% OSX, 5% XP (there is some software that I use which are PC-only).



    PS: I probably should have added a 'mild sarcasm' tag to my previous post. ;-)
  • Reply 37 of 122
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Not just the mail - the whole check out was swift, fast and accurate. I don't care who made it- it just worked.



    You've clearly never worked in retail and dealt with slow devices with people breathing down your neck.

    You really need some time in working folks' shoes guy.
  • Reply 38 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I. Pod MacNut View Post


    They have been using the iPod Touch for Concierge duties for awhile. I don't think the switch would be all that difficult. Especially since most of the employees would be proficient at using an iPod Touch/iPhone anyway. I can attest, it takes forever to type in anything on a Symbol device. I can type on the virtual keyboard a lot faster.



    So, where on the App Store can we purchase the "Apple Checkout" program? It had to be approved and such I would assume... it is Apple right? You could make it so you can checkout and buy your own stuff. I guess this may put people out of a job though...
  • Reply 39 of 122
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Only the OS is MS's. The rest is made by someone else, as is the terminal software.



    So then why is AI speculating that MS would buy them back?
  • Reply 40 of 122
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    It takes 5 years to get existing old technology "Right"?

    Oh wait, I forgot it took 2 years to get 10 year old MMS technology "Right" also. Meanwhile my 7 year old Verizon MMS had saved phrases that I didn't have to keep typing every time I want to know such basics as "where are you" or "what's going on?"



    Yet, you have Apple products, and bought an iPod Touch, and was that an iPhone recently/



    If this stuff is so bad, why are you using it, and tormenting the rest of us?
Sign In or Register to comment.