Apple retail stores to upgrade from Windows-based EasyPay to iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'm all for Apple moving forward but let's not do this right before the heavist retail demand they will have. A good break in period is a requirement to deal all potential bugs and regressions - you don't want to do this when your stores are flooded with custmers itchy to spend cash.

Dave

I kind of agree. It might be wiser to wait until February. The Apple Store nearest me is busy all the time. Black Friday would be the worst time to have teething issues.

OTOH, everything could go very smoothly and Apple will be very pleased with themselves.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Original Article

Apple may be able to sell its old Pocket PC EasyPay terminals to Microsoft for use in its own retail stores.

While the idea is amusing, I don't see Microsoft switching to their own, used, POS products. They will be too busy trying to find out what new color shirts to buy their employees.
  • Reply 42 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Not always. Many people use both. For instance, in my case, 95% OSX, 5% XP (there is some software that I use which are PC-only).

Out of curiosity, what is that software? And in an honest reply, was the purchase of XP worth it to you for that software in hindsight? (I've not run into any one who buys windows for that PC-only program, so I'm curious. Most I see get it so they can use MS Office, which they can get for the Mac.)
  • Reply 43 of 122
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

So then why is AI speculating that MS would buy them back?

Hes not speculating. It's a JOKE.

You get jokes sometimes, don't you?
  • Reply 44 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Steuber View Post

While the idea is amusing, I don't see Microsoft switching to their own, used, POS products. They will be too busy trying to find out what new color shirts to buy their employees.

But do they have un-named red shirt guys?
  • Reply 45 of 122
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

No great shock that they are doing this, but the timing seems a little strange to me. Introducing a large change to their point of sale system this close to the Christmas rush seems to be inviting trouble.

Or perhaps they've tested enough to know that the throughput using a better device will actually allow them to serve more customers, faster?

This has been in development since at least April when it was first announced. I think they've had plenty of QA and load testing time.
  • Reply 46 of 122
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

You've clearly never worked in retail and dealt with slow devices with people breathing down your neck.

You really need some time in working folks' shoes guy.

I was in the jammed packed 5th Avenue store last summer the day Snow Leopard launched. At lunchtime! The lines were huge. I got someone to express check me out (many people don't realize Apple even has that feature) in 3 minutes with Snow Kitty in a bag and I was back in the human pneumatic tube and out the door in 5 minutes.
  • Reply 47 of 122
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Everyone can come in with their bullshit over-exaggerated stories of how they waited in line for hours because of the failure rates of these devices, but honest to God, when I bought my little brother's ipod touch, me and the salesgirl had a good laugh because she had to start over a few times and she noted that her device was made by Microsoft.

It seems stupid to begin with, honestly. Just get a normal POS if they are that much trouble. In an effort to look cool and hip, they carry around these portable POS machines, but in the end they just waste people's time.

So while I think it's cool they are finally gonna take the matter into their own hands and make checkout smoother, I think it's just telling of the lengths Apple will go to try and look cutting edge to your average customer.

Honestly, if they were as bad as this article makes it sound, why on earth would Apple use them in the first place? The irony is hilarious. Bitch about Windows and MS and their crap software, but use their products in all the stores.
  • Reply 48 of 122
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:

1.) How do you know its better- have you personally seen it ? NO>

2.) I'm not saying its good or bad - just LATE>

3.) When they actually whine.

I was one of the first people ever to bring it up at AI that it even existed- it was such a secret. Go blow your nose.

No, you didn't say it's late. You were just taking a shot at Apple employees.

And your right, it might not be better, but I suspect, based on past performance, that when Apple rolls something out, it usually is better. Time will tell on that one.

Not sure what blow your nose means, does not really make sense.
  • Reply 49 of 122
    Quote:

I was in the jammed packed 5th Avenue store last summer the day Snow Leopard launched. At lunchtime! The lines were huge. I got someone to express check me out (many people don't realize Apple even has that feature) in 3 minutes with Snow Kitty in a bag and I was back in the human pneumatic tube and out the door in 5 minutes.

As I said, a simple transaction.
  • Reply 50 of 122
    Quote:

Or perhaps they've tested enough to know that the throughput using a better device will actually allow them to serve more customers, faster?

This has been in development since at least April when it was first announced. I think they've had plenty of QA and load testing time.

I'm sure you're right, it's just in my job I've been bitten by things like that so many times that I'm probably over cautious!
  • Reply 51 of 122
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by houseley View Post

\ An most unfortunate acronym. Insert an apposite has and you have a very serviceable quote there.

It's retail jargon. But sometimes I get a chuckle when I hear it, especially when the POS is a POS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

They had better work flawlessly, every time. That was the advantage of using Windows devices: you would blame the competitor. Now if checkout is slow--perhaps because of a backend issue that has nothing to do with the handheld--people are going to say/think "maybe these things are only toys after all."

The other day I saw the blue screen of death on the video displays at my local train station (which normally provide schedule and status information). I wouldn't want to see an Apple logo associated with that sort of snafu.

I hope that the slow roll-out is to get all the kinks worked out, demo-ed in a low traffic store, etc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glockpop View Post

As far as your praise for the clunky old EasyPay (because it was designed by Microsoft)

Sorry, but what? I don't think MS designed the EasyPay system. They make the OS that the hardware runs, I've not seen anything that says that they also design the physical hardware, or the user layer software. MS might not have even done the drivers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Finally!!! Its so embarrassing that Apple has had to use their competitors product for sales for such a long time!

Sad though, that now I can't poke fun at them for using Windows devices in their stores. I quite liked that.

As for t-shirt colors... does the un-named guy in the red shirt always get fired at the end of the day.

The red shirted guy is supposed to have an unfortunate fatal event. Getting fired is getting it too easily.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cinder View Post

I think anyone with half a brain knew that this would be coming eventually.

My guess on why it took so long is that they wanted to Get It Right.

I've definitely experienced several glitches, bugs and crashes while being checked out with one of those dastardly things. Several Apple employees have complained about them, while using em.

Side note: I bought a CD from a band a couple weeks ago and they took credit cards!

On their . . . iPhone with one of the merchant Credit Card approval apps. So awesome.

I've taken credit cards on my iPhone too, but not through a special app. I log into my merchant account in Safari.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I'd say the embarassing part of BootCamp, and more so the VMware/Parellels, is how many mac buyers also BUY full retail Windows just for Office and such. Windows, even when running (especially when running) inside OS X or on Mac's hardware (which is a PC) is still virus laden windows (unless you do it right, which is pretty easy to keep safe on Windows.) Didn't people buy a Mac to get away from all that?

I buy the OEM version from Newegg. I'm a savvy user, malware isn't a problem for me, just some things are more irritating to do in Windows. I usually don't have computer problems, but if it's on the OS X, the solution is generally a lot quicker and less painful.
  • Reply 52 of 122
    Quote:

It takes 5 years to get existing old technology "Right"?

Oh wait, I forgot it took 2 years to get 10 year old MMS technology "Right" also. Meanwhile my 7 year old Verizon MMS had saved phrases that I didn't have to keep typing every time I want to know such basics as "where are you" or "what's going on?"

really...apple? mms problem? try that was AT&T....talk about short attention span and selective memory....DID YOU JUST FORGET THAT MMS has nothing do with APPLE? It was AT&T that screwed the pooch there. There is no blame to be shared by Apple other than AT&T knew they did not have the infrastructure in place to handle the Iphone....they still dont really....

come on, I thought you were smarter than that..Trying to rewrite history to support your lame attempts at snark are immature and intellectually dishonest....like most of your posts...
  • Reply 53 of 122
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Not just the mail - the whole check out was swift, fast and accurate. I don't care who made it- it just worked.

Of course, you're only one voice fortunately, Apple had the entire Apple retail workforce to listen to ... probably had slightly more influence, even if it was more quiet than you!
  • Reply 54 of 122
    Lost in the techstud spam/vitriol is a simple fact.

My understanding is that this uses hardware using the dock connector, controlled by a custom app. I have no idea whether or not Apple made/wrote either of them.

What's significant is that its a reminder that we not even begun to see what's coming with dock-connected expansions.

The reason this is so important (other than deep-sixing the MS crap) is the dock-connected hardware.
  • Reply 55 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Everyone can come in with their bullshit over-exaggerated stories of how they waited in line for hours because of the failure rates of these devices, but honest to God, when I bought my little brother's ipod touch, me and the salesgirl had a good laugh because she had to start over a few times and she noted that her device was made by Microsoft.

It seems stupid to begin with, honestly. Just get a normal POS if they are that much trouble. In an effort to look cool and hip, they carry around these portable POS machines, but in the end they just waste people's time.

So while I think it's cool they are finally gonna take the matter into their own hands and make checkout smoother, I think it's just telling of the lengths Apple will go to try and look cutting edge to your average customer.

Honestly, if they were as bad as this article makes it sound, why on earth would Apple use them in the first place? The irony is hilarious. Bitch about Windows and MS and their crap software, but use their products in all the stores.

It's not that they don't work. I've been checked out with one of those things a dozen times. Most of the time they work well, but often enough they don't. with complex transactions such as buying iPhones and setting the carrier side of the transaction, they often have problems. They sales associate who sold us ours said that they were causing a lot of problems, and were one reason why it took so long.

Otherwise, this is a great idea. It shortens the lines, and allows people with simple purchases to get out sooner and allow those with more complex purchases to reach the registers faster.

In London restaurants, waiters have devices for that purpose. They work well, but are very slow printing out a receipt. I didn't look to see who made them.
  • Reply 56 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rhetoric.assassin View Post

come on, I thought you were smarter than that..

um, nobody else does.
  • Reply 57 of 122
    Quote:

Lost in the techstud spam/vitriol is a simple fact.

My understanding is that this uses hardware using the dock connector, controlled by a custom app. I have no idea whether or not Apple made/wrote either of them.

What's significant is that its a reminder that we not even begun to see what's coming with dock-connected expansions.

The reason this is so important (other than deep-sixing the MS crap) is the dock-connected hardware.

I've got a dock connector based audio test and measurement set. This is new, and was only possible with OS 3.
  • Reply 58 of 122
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Cool. I predicted they would land before this holiday season. I was running out of time. Anyone know…
    … The company who makes the CC scanner connected to the device and is it available for sale?

… If it IR or a camera for the barcode (or chosen manually)?

… Who makes the software and if it’s available on the App Store yet?
    I never understood the humour of Apple using a Motorola PoS device that happens to use WinCE for the OS. Apple didn’t have a mobile OS or mobile device until well after these were in play. Apple also doesn’t make PoS devices. If this is funny then why is not funny that Apple make software for Windows and MS makes software for OS X? I just don’t get it.

Also, are the issue with the SYmbol devices from the OS, the app or the HW.

PS: Ireland might disagree that Apple’s devices will stay connected to WiFI better than the Symbol devices

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glockpop View Post

if your reading comprehension were adequate, you'd note that the complaints dated back throughout Apple's entire use of Pocket PC devices. The quotes here are from previous articles (see the fancy hyperlinks? they work in IE, don't they?)

As far as your praise for the clunky old EasyPay (because it was designed by Microsoft), you might be surprised to find out that neither Pocket PC nor Windows CE has anything to do with how fast Internet mail works. They both do have an adverse impact on usability however, as AI's historical coverage has documented.

Look who you are referring to. He claims their mission statement every week. You can’t expect anything close to a balanced, adult answer. How old is there mission statement from last revision? More than 20 years?

I’ve had good results and I’ve had bad results. Mostly good. Putting the OS used aside, the devices do stand out among the rest of the store.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'm all for Apple moving forward but let's not do this right before the heavist retail demand they will have. A good break in period is a requirement to deal all potential bugs and regressions - you don't want to do this when your stores are flooded with custmers itchy to spend cash.

Those devices seem troublesome enough that if the Touches work out okay in testing it will easy for Apple to have plenty of these devices to use for the rush. If they are faster that means increased sales during busy periods. They can always fall back to the Symbol devices if need be.
  • Reply 59 of 122
    teck stuuuuudddddd, you are my hero, saving the world from .... what ... exactly....?
  • Reply 60 of 122
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yet, you have Apple products, and bought an iPod Touch, and was that an iPhone recently/

If this stuff is so bad, why are you using it, and tormenting the rest of us?

Because TeckDud probably has a pathetic life and no clue how to fix it ... so next best thing, in his misguided little world, is to try and haul down everyone else to his level .... never works, never will !